• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Contador struggle without Bruyneel

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone thinks Contador will have significant trouble next year replicating the success he has had with Brunyeel. If you know what I mean.

A

Anonymous

Hi Carl. Someone started this conversation in The Clinic a couple of weeks ago. You can probably find a lot of thoughts on the matter there. Happy New Year. John

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
carl spackler said:
Just wondering if anyone thinks Contador will have significant trouble next year replicating the success he has had with Brunyeel. If you know what I mean.
Contador needs to be properly jacked in order to replicate his previous 2 Tour wins...Bruneel is no doubt a dirty manager but in cycling all the managers are dirty! It just depends on whether or not Ferrari stays with him. There are certain Dr. Ferrari drug tricks Lance knows that Contador likely doe not for 2010. But then again Contradoper is likely way the heck more talented and driven than Lance is, but Lance is smarter and more sociopathic...I dont know it will be exciting also when you throw a hopfully fully jacked Basso & Vino in there.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
Contador needs to be properly jacked in order to replicate his previous 2 Tour wins...Bruneel is no doubt a dirty manager but in cycling all the managers are dirty! It just depends on whether or not Ferrari stays with him. There are certain Dr. Ferrari drug tricks Lance knows that Contador likely doe not for 2010. But then again Contradoper is likely way the heck more talented and driven than Lance is, but Lance is smarter and more sociopathic...I dont know it will be exciting also when you throw a hopfully fully jacked Basso & Vino in there.

Vino's comeback shows the resources are probably available to Conta. Vino may be his biggest problem.

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I don't know, but i think that Bruyneels absence will do Contador good.
But only if he can manage it the right way with the right tactics.
If he doesn't know much about tactics etc, than Bruyneels absence can be a huge factor. Especially with armstrong as his rival.

I'm also not really sure about astana, and I think Contador himself doesn't know much either. It's like a new team to him, and with vino in it, you never know.

Previous year was the worst, so it can only get better, no?

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
Vino's comeback shows the resources are probably available to Conta. Vino may be his biggest problem.

Yea, Vino is ACs biggest problem. He has already shown he's insecure on a competitve team. Wait till Vino jacks him with one of his famous outta nowhere attacks. Hope AC can handle the pressure. Won't have a nanny like JB to watch over him anymore. ACs feelings might really get hurt this year.:D

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
cyclegeek said:
Yea, Vino is ACs biggest problem. He has already shown he's insecure on a competitve team. Wait till Vino jacks him with one of his famous outta nowhere attacks. Hope AC can handle the pressure. Won't have a nanny like JB to watch over him anymore. ACs feelings might really get hurt this year.:D

No he doesn't have a nanny who works against him anymore, if that's what you mean ;) Oh wait he's still working against him, atleast not as his manager.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Contador will be fine. Martinelli has achieved grand tour success with several different riders, and has a proven track record. AC has several Spanish and Italian domestiques that he personally requested Astana to hire - and they did. Vino has the ability to be a good teammate, and is not quite the egomanical team-wrecker that he's often made out to be. I mean, Vino is not some perfect angel, but he'll be there for AC. He's building a team and trying to build a new legacy for himself.

There seems to be an ongoing movement that wants us to belive Alberto is stupid and Vino is crazed for power, but from all reports coming out of Astana and its new riders, the team is coming together quite nicely.

cyclegeek said:

One of the dumbest posts I've seen this on this board. And yes, I'm including those made by the various incarnations of Phantom Douchebag.
If you're not a member of Lance's Chammy Sniffing Brigade, you should get a honorary membership.

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, it seems this same troll has infested other cycling message boards. RBR, which I have stopped frequenting in favor of coming here, apparently is having the same problem.

In the end, this guy's turning out to create more negative feelings toward Lance than Pharmstrong could do alone.

Moose McKnuckles said:
Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, it seems this same troll has infested other cycling message boards. RBR, which I have stopped frequenting in favor of coming here, apparently is having the same problem.

RBR has other problems, like that douche Coolhand who banned everyone with an interesting opinion.

Vino is probably smart enough, unlike Armstrong, to realize what his chances are against Contador; so he and the other Kazakhs will back Contador to the hilt. I would think there will be quite a bit of pleasure at sticking it to Reitirement Radioshack during the Tour.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
RBR has other problems, like that douche Coolhand who banned everyone with an interesting opinion.

Angry masters races should not be mods

21cxqbc.jpg

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Vino is probably smart enough, unlike Armstrong, to realize what his chances are against Contador; so he and the other Kazakhs will back Contador to the hilt. I would think there will be quite a bit of pleasure at sticking it to Reitirement Radioshack during the Tour.

Really think Vino will ride for AC? He didn't ride for ULLE. I think he's out to prove somethin and will try at any cost to redeem himself. :D

cyclegeek said:
Really think Vino will ride for AC? He didn't ride for ULLE. I think he's out to prove somethin and will try at any cost to redeem himself. :D

If Astana wins the Tour and he's on the team, he WILL redeem himself.
He knows he cannot win it himself and he needs Contador. If that were not the case, why did Astana bend over backwards to force Contador to stay? To get them an invite to the Tour only to get absolutely crushed?

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
If Astana wins the Tour and he's on the team, he WILL redeem himself.
He knows he cannot win it himself and he needs Contador. If that were not the case, why did Astana bend over backwards to force Contador to stay? To get them an invite to the Tour only to get absolutely crushed?

No way Astana is goin to be crushed in the TDF. They will be a large player. Just don't trust Vino. Didn't ride for Ulle, just comin off drug suspension. No doubt they needed AC for TDF qualification, with past team troubles. Kazak team supporting Vino or AC. Don't know, but we will see. :D

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
cyclegeek said:

He let Jan win the Gold in the 2000 Olympics. He can ride for others.

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
He let Jan win the Gold in the 2000 Olympics. He can ride for others.

He was a baby then. 03 or 04? Maybe both TDF, didn't he attack 2 or 3 times leaving Jan to fend for himself? That kinda is Vinos style, attack. solo. :D

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
cyclegeek said:
He was a baby then. 03 or 04? Maybe both TDF, didn't he attack 2 or 3 times leaving Jan to fend for himself? That kinda is Vinos style, attack. solo. :D

He attacked in 2005 when he was trying to get on the podium and knew he was leaving for another team....and was chased by his own team. As good as Vino is he spent much of his career working for others.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
One of the dumbest posts I've seen this on this board. And yes, I'm including those made by the various incarnations of Phantom Douchebag.
If you're not a member of Lance's Chammy Sniffing Brigade, you should get a honorary membership.

I'll second that. Here I was thinking, well blissfully dreaming that perhaps, despite the low probability, we would go a month or so before the morons popped up in 2010. Twas not meant to be.

TRENDING THREADS