• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Evans lose his 3rd GT by less than a minute?

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
basso is primed to take plenty of time from him in the mountains. i think cadel will be in second place going into the tt by about 3 minutes. so he won't lose by less than a minute. it'll prolly be more like 2 1/2.

it still would be really sad. but, as many predicted, you can't win a race like this without a team. he had plenty of time on basso, but he threw it all away. stupid!

there is still a chance that basso will crack and have a bad day. historically, basso is less consistent and is prone to losing big chunks of time on a single stage. he looks pretty solid right now, but anything can happen. and basso has the better team.

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
As an Australian, it disappoints me to say so, but he again will finish 2nd:(, but more likely by 2-3 minutes (although I'd love to be completely wrong):eek:

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Lion of Flanders said:
I hope so. To see a rider win a Grand Tour by sitting on wheels for three weeks and getting 3rd place in all the tough stages is a terrible thought.

Maybe all the people who criticize Cadel for not attacking should buy the DVD highlights for the 2005-2009 TdFs and see that he attacked on a number occasions in each race. Its just a little hard to drop the best riders in the world every time the road slopes up.

It's also a bit tough to attack the heads of state when you have to mark two riders from the same team (Schleck/Sastre) or your opponents still have climbing domestiques with them who they can burn to chase you down, especially when you are isolated from the bottom of the mountain when your team drops away. And you're clean. Perhaps you would be happier if he attacked like Ricco, Rasmusen, Vino?

It could be that most people on these forums havn't followed cycling too long, but the Big Mig Miguel Indurain wasn't exactly noted for regularly attacking his opponents in the mountains, preferring to mark the opposition in hills and smash them in the TT. But I guess if you win 5 TdF's it shuts a few ignorant bloggers up on how they'd ride a GT from their keyboards.

I for one hope he wins - to show that a clean rider is capable of winning a GT - we should be inspired by him, not death riding him. And I hope that given he was a late inclusion to BMC's roster this year that they use this off season to get him the help he deserves.

davis_123

BANNED
May 4, 2010
Visit site
spanky wanderlust said:
basso is primed to take plenty of time from him in the mountains. i think cadel will be in second place going into the tt by about 3 minutes. so he won't lose by less than a minute. it'll prolly be more like 2 1/2.

it still would be really sad. but, as many predicted, you can't win a race like this without a team. he had plenty of time on basso, but he threw it all away. stupid!

there is still a chance that basso will crack and have a bad day. historically, basso is less consistent and is prone to losing big chunks of time on a single stage. he looks pretty solid right now, but anything can happen. and basso has the better team.

Why say primed? We all know he is back on the dope again.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully.

I haven't seen Basso chuck a tantrum like Evans has. So for that tantrum, it's only fitting Evans loses by less than a minute. Hopefully less than 30 seconds.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Lion of Flanders said:
I hope so. To see a rider win a Grand Tour by sitting on wheels for three weeks and getting 3rd place in all the tough stages is a terrible thought.

So why are you saying bad things about Scarponi in an Evans thread? He's the only GC contender who's came third on multiple mountain stages. Cuddles has had a monumental stage win this Giro, or couldn't you see the rainbow stripes through the mud and rain?

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Wtf ?

Lion of Flanders said:

What a stupid comment .... :mad:

I agree with badboyberty's comment :)

You must have missed the rainbow clad aussie through all the mud and s**t.

But, all that aside .... sadly I feel the "stronger":cool: team will prevail in the mountains and give Basso enough time.

But .... they will be great stages to watch none the less.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Somehow I think he will do them, he's not as bad on the climbs as everyone may think.
God speed to you Cadel, you're the bench mark but which all others can be judged. Tonight will show that.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
PCutter said:
Maybe all the people who criticize Cadel for not attacking should buy the DVD highlights for the 2005-2009 TdFs and see that he attacked on a number occasions in each race. Its just a little hard to drop the best riders in the world every time the road slopes up.

It's also a bit tough to attack the heads of state when you have to mark two riders from the same team (Schleck/Sastre) or your opponents still have climbing domestiques with them who they can burn to chase you down, especially when you are isolated from the bottom of the mountain when your team drops away. And you're clean. Perhaps you would be happier if he attacked like Ricco, Rasmusen, Vino?

It could be that most people on these forums havn't followed cycling too long, but the Big Mig Miguel Indurain wasn't exactly noted for regularly attacking his opponents in the mountains, preferring to mark the opposition in hills and smash them in the TT. But I guess if you win 5 TdF's it shuts a few ignorant bloggers up on how they'd ride a GT from their keyboards.

I for one hope he wins - to show that a clean rider is capable of winning a GT - we should be inspired by him, not death riding him. And I hope that given he was a late inclusion to BMC's roster this year that they use this off season to get him the help he deserves.

You've said it all =)
Give it all Cadel!

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
spanky wanderlust said:

This sums it up nicely...

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why is so sure that basso will beat evans. I think that they both have an equal chance to win. just because basso dropped evans on the zoncolan does not mean he is the stronger climber of the whole tour as evans was stronger on the plan de corones.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I can see:

- Basso dropping Evans in the next mountain stages

- Evans holding on to Basso

- but not Evans dropping Basso.

Then in the TT I don't think Basso will lose more than 30 seconds, maybe 45. So if Evans manages to hold on to Basso he can win, if he gets dropped again, no chance.

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Lion of Flanders said:

Good thing Cadel has come 2nd on the two toughest mountain finishes (Zonk, KronPlatz) and even won a tough rainy/muddy stage...

You must be supporting Cadel, otherwise you are talking about Scarponi?

Confusing = :confused:

EDIT: just read the thread and realised everyone else already pointed out the Scarponi joke. sorry, but it was an original thought :)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
PCutter said:

Say no more...
Sasquatch said:
Hopefully.

I haven't seen Basso chuck a tantrum like Evans has. So for that tantrum, it's only fitting Evans loses by less than a minute. Hopefully less than 30 seconds.

Uneducated Hater...10 minutes now.