• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Will Lance Ride TOC in 2011?

Aug 2, 2010
217
0
0
Visit site
CyclingNews quote from Andrew Messick:

"Has Lance said he's not going to race? He's said he's not going to race in Europe," said Messick. "I've not talked to him recently but it's possible. We'd welcome him and he needs to decide if he wants to do any racing at all, but I don't think it's accurate to say he's not going to do the race next year. There have been discussions with him, it being the last chance to see him ride a bike in a race. I think everything depends on what happens in the next 12 weeks."

"Next 12 weeks" ... worries about an LA indictment?

How else to read Messick's last sentence?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Lance 3.0

Oh

I

Can't

Wait......

Should be lively in the Clinic.
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
Visit site
When LA annouced earlier he was not going to race in Europe anymore, I took it that he would still compete in other events where he gets paid appearance fees.

So I expect him to do the Tour Down Under, Argus in South Africa and finish with the Tour of California.
 
Jul 17, 2009
4,316
2
0
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
When LA annouced earlier he was not going to race in Europe anymore, I took it that he would still compete in other events where he gets paid appearance fees.

So I expect him to do the Tour Down Under, Argus in South Africa and finish with the Tour of California.


That's how I took his statements. He has never said he would quit racing

In fact i might guess it is the only race he does

I'd like to see him ride it regardless. he sells bikes
 
May 26, 2010
28,143
5
0
Visit site
flicker said:
I liked his riding style this year. Next year will be even better!

i don' think so 2010 has been the best year yet, Novisky and the feds even came to the party. don't think that will be topped in 2011, unless he breaks out of prison to throw the starter flag at Contador :D
 
Jul 29, 2010
431
0
0
Visit site
Boeing said:
I'd like to see him ride it regardless. he sells bikes

Who does he sell bikes to? Fatmen 2nd-childhood lycra boys I see lounging outside the coffeeshops Sat AM?? Lambs for the slaughter, those guys.

As for Messick's "12 weeks", this could merely mean that if Lance wants to ride the TOC, he'd have to start training again by late December. Thus, 12 weeks. I don't necessarily think it's code for "perp walk" :D. Although that would be a great Holiday present.
 
Sep 23, 2010
112
0
0
Visit site
I doubt he will ever ride on the pro circuit again. He retired in July from European races after his last outing at the Tour. What has he got to gain by riding in the Tour Of California. Frankly with this pending investigation going on at the moment its hard to see him riding in this race. And for the good of the sport and its future he should not even be allowed to compete. His participation would overshadow what is developing into one of the top bike races in the world. This is a good race that gets good television coverage, that attracts top teams and top riders, the world over.
 
May 26, 2010
28,143
5
0
Visit site
The Bald Eagle said:
I doubt he will ever ride on the pro circuit again. He retired in July from European races after his last outing at the Tour. What has he got to gain by riding in the Tour Of California. Frankly with this pending investigation going on at the moment its hard to see him riding in this race. And for the good of the sport and its future he should not even be allowed to compete. His participation would overshadow what is developing into one of the top bike races in the world. This is a good race that gets good television coverage, that attracts top teams and top riders, the world over.

if LA doesn't ride a bike anymore his publicity decreases and therefore the brand wains, which by that i mean the liestrong brand and that is why he rode the last 2 years, for brand awareness more than anything else. hence the big show on the last day at the TdF this year. why do his bike,s get covered in the liestrong stuff? if he rides next year you can bet it'll be to push liestrong