• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will R.Gesink ever win a GT?

Will Gesink ever win a GT?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
It seems that there are a lot of dutch people in this forum since there is often a lot of discussion around this guy.

But ok i'm not asking if he has the potential to win one or something like that.

But do you think that he will ever win a GT in his career? Yes or No?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
If Hejsedal can... if the right circumstances... everything is possible. Hell even Pereiro won a GT.

But starting a poll like this on a day like this obviously will never result in anyone voting yes. :rolleyes:

lol yeah it was kinda dirty :p But I don't think it would have changed that much though.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
If Hejsedal can... if the right circumstances... everything is possible. Hell even Pereiro won a GT.

But starting a poll like this on a day like this obviously will never result in anyone voting yes. :rolleyes:

Well someone voted yes ;)

I think he could win one, il Giro or la Vuelta with a fair amount of luck, but it needs to be his main goal.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
gesink is lucky if he finishes a race. alex zulle liked to crash his bike too but that was thought to be because of his coke bottle glasses fogging up at altitude :D.

zulle won the vuelta twice but zulle is twice the racer gesink will ever be (TT).

"no" would be my answer.

Dekker_Tifosi said:

Gesink is better than hejsdal imo.

But does he have the mentality?

The mentality that is to say - screw the tour, ill peak for a different gt this year.

The Hitch said:
Gesink is better than hejsdal imo.

But does he have the mentality?

The mentality that is to say - screw the tour, ill peak for a different gt this year.

That will be the question indeed. But more to the point. Does he has the mentality to let go in other races to focus more on a GT?
I can't imagine Gesink letting go of Tirreno (or PN) + PV + Ardennes classics to focus on something else.

I don't think he has that in him.

I don't think he will. But I'm certain he could, but only if he made the Giro his number one goal. He'd need a fair bit of luck as well, though.

According to Nordhaug, Gesink is planning to skip the classics next season to prepare 100% for TDF...

I have a newfound sympathy (or just under influence of the many dutchies here) for him so it would be sweet for the lad. But...

When he is good he is close to a worldbeater, although not there yet, but when he is bad he is so unbelivable bad you are just left wondering what the **** happened during the time space between. This is an issue so big that i have my doubts that he will come to terms with them. If it was just some occasional hiccups it would be an entirely different story.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
He will win a GT if, he focuses solely on that grand tour, if the route for the one he focuses on is well suited to his strengths, if he can manage to not crash, if he wises up and makes the GT he's focusing on either the Giro or vuelta and not the tour, and if he really commits to getting in great shape for the GT.

Is he likely to do these things? Probably not.

TRENDING THREADS