• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Will vino go for the win in the giro ?

Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
Visit site
tbh, i was surprised to hear gasparotto saying that vino will go for the win.
before that, my personal opinion was based on vino’s own statements...that he realized the course does not favour him and he’d be happy to just win some stages. I also think that even a younger vino would not have been well suited to the 2010 mountainous course.

either way, if he changed his goals because he feels stronger everyday, i wonder how that would affect the team for the tour ? would that burn out the domestiques too much to be of any use for berto in july ? would vino himself be able to recover sufficiently to help berto ?

my answer to all of those questions is - vino knows better and is just psyching his team and the fans.

what do you think ?
 
Feb 14, 2010
2,202
0
0
Visit site
I've been following him in the Vino 4 Ever section at Astana Fans. When he hasn't been racing, he's been doing training camps at Tenerife, doing lots of climbs and putting in time at altitude. I think he's going to give it his absolute best shot. It's going to be a great race, as always.
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
Visit site
theswordsman said:
I've been following him in the Vino 4 Ever section at Astana Fans. When he hasn't been racing, he's been doing training camps at Tenerife, doing lots of climbs and putting in time at altitude. I think he's going to give it his absolute best shot. It's going to be a great race, as always.

me too.

i guess we'll see his form and true potential in the giro del trentino starting tomorrow.

there can be no pretending there - a time trial and two hill top finishes including the mighty 10% alpe di pampeago.

if he is competitive with basso and ricco (rasmussen is also still on the starting list), we'll know vino is dead serious.

my gut (and my eyes) say he's been trying to lose as much weight as he can.
 
I am exicted as a kid, realy looking forward to the Giro, and giro del terentino to see if he is serious. He has a good time trial wich he can use against Sastre, and it will be interesting if he chances and attack's at strange points, he can put time with his kamikaze attacks, so it will be interseting!
 
Much as I would like it if Vino could compete with the elite on the climbs at this year's Giro I can't help but think back to his form prior to his suspension and how even then he had major difficulty staying with the gc contenders in the mountains. Plus his team would be better served with him at most chasing stage wins at the Giro and saving something for supporting Contador in the mountains of the Tour. I have a feeling he'll need Vino's experience and aggressiveness to counter Saxo Bank, Liquigas and Shack.
 
Mar 19, 2009
15
0
0
Visit site
His ability in the mountains is underrated. He had no major difficulty staying with the climbers at the Vuelta the year before his suspension. If anything, his performance in the mountains throughout his career has been uneven, not consistently uncompetitive.

Going forward, Vino's problem is not his past record in the mountains. If he were to podium at the Giro it would be a huge surprise given his age and the four year hiatus from major stage racing.
 
hfer07 said:
I really want to see Vino inflicting a lot of pain across the peloton and doing those crazy attacks like in the past-perhaps he might not land a victory, but he's very competitive & exiting rider to watch:)

I used to love Vino. If he could be even at 80% of the Vino of old at the Giro - man it would be something to watch. He is definitely lets his legs do the talking.
 
Feb 14, 2010
245
0
0
Visit site
theswordsman said:
I've been following him in the Vino 4 Ever section at Astana Fans. When he hasn't been racing, he's been doing training camps at Tenerife, doing lots of climbs and putting in time at altitude. I think he's going to give it his absolute best shot. It's going to be a great race, as always.

Is that possible on Tenerife? My knowledge of the place is sketchy at best but I have the impression everything except the park is quite low. Just asking.
 
Mar 19, 2009
1,796
0
0
Visit site
Angliru said:
Much as I would like it if Vino could compete with the elite on the climbs at this year's Giro I can't help but think back to his form prior to his suspension and how even then he had major difficulty staying with the gc contenders in the mountains.
i think ur right m8 :S... vino couldnt even climb that well with the drugs in 2007 now without drugs and even older than before I think he has 0 chance of a high paclacing in the gc of any grand tour.... He can till time trial acceptably but once the big mountains start I am sure he wil be gone..

I really hope he does well and wins some stages(if he did win the gc i would be delighted) but I really dont think he has any chance of anything but a stage win inn a time trial or one smaller hilly stage....

I will be supporting him this season though.
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
2
0
Visit site
python said:
tbh, i was surprised to hear gasparotto saying that vino will go for the win.
before that, my personal opinion was based on vino’s own statements...that he realized the course does not favour him and he’d be happy to just win some stages. I also think that even a younger vino would not have been well suited to the 2010 mountainous course.

either way, if he changed his goals because he feels stronger everyday, i wonder how that would affect the team for the tour ? would that burn out the domestiques too much to be of any use for berto in july ? would vino himself be able to recover sufficiently to help berto ?

my answer to all of those questions is - vino knows better and is just psyching his team and the fans.

what do you think ?

where did gasparotto say that? I only heard from vino that he wanted stagewins I think
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
2
0
Visit site
markene2 said:
I am exicted as a kid, realy looking forward to the Giro, and giro del terentino to see if he is serious. He has a good time trial wich he can use against Sastre, and it will be interesting if he chances and attack's at strange points, he can put time with his kamikaze attacks, so it will be interseting!

I think there's only 18 km of flat indvidual timetrial? the itt weon't matter this giro. but I'm really hoping for vino he can do podium perhaps
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
I think there's only 18 km of flat indvidual timetrial? the itt weon't matter this giro. but I'm really hoping for vino he can do podium perhaps
saw it some place in cn report after the amstel gold race.
how has he been riding so far this year ?
we will know very soon. so far it was only one solid climb when berto got his allergies.
 
auscyclefan94 said:
I would advise anyone who is wanting to follow the giro to buy a copy of RIDE magazine as the recent one has a giro preview which is quite good.

Is the new one out yet? I keep checking the ride sight but ni mention of when the new issue is on sale besides 'April 2010'
 
Jul 22, 2009
303
0
0
Visit site
python said:
saw it some place in cn report after the amstel gold race.
we will know very soon. so far it was only one solid climb when berto got his allergies.

watch him win, then get busted.

I was sooo disappointed with him for doping- when he was with telekom I felt he had a good chance of taking the tour; it seemed like he was always trying and suffering later on but willing and able to give it another shot- it seemed an admirable metaphor for life- but then it was just a fictional hero.
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
Visit site
python said:
me too.

i guess we'll see his form and true potential in the giro del trentino starting tomorrow.

there can be no pretending there - a time trial and two hill top finishes including the mighty 10% alpe di pampeago.

if he is competitive with basso and ricco (rasmussen is also still on the starting list), we'll know vino is dead serious.

my gut (and my eyes) say he's been trying to lose as much weight as he can.
sorry for quoting myself but since i started this thread a lot has happened. vino unexpectedly won at trentino and liege and showed such a form that many including me did not expect.

did those latest victories change his odds of winning the giro ?

for bookmakers, yes, but not fore me. i think he can podium if he keeps the climbing legs fresh but as some noted on another thread, he may have peaked too early.

and i remain convinced vino digging too deep at the giro can screw his recovery for the tour. he knows that.
 
Apr 26, 2010
1,035
0
0
Visit site
And there are also those 10% percent "walls" and inevitable "crisis day" that Vino tends to have on virtually each Grand Tour (including the Vuelta he won) he's in.

Aaand the team roster that was announced today doesn't look very inspiring i'm afraid to say.

Of course there are Gasparotto and Grivko and Tiralongo and maybe Jufre, but apart from these guys... I don't know. I just don't know.

And Max Iglinsky (who could easily be a second captain for GT) is missing out and is left for the Tour...

IF he'd win, against all these odds... That would be an amazing feat.

Stage win or two feels like a safe bet, that i am sure of.
________
Kitchen Measures