• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Women and doping

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
worlds, olympics and track.. thats about it..
During the women's Giro I was desperately trying to get an Italian proxy working so I could watch RAI's coverage online, to no avail. Although I did manage to catch the end of the Italian national road race a week earlier, so I don't know why it no longer worked.

It annoys me because all someone like (say) Eurosport would have to do would be to take the Italian coverage and dub commentary over the top. Stick it on right after the men's Tour has finished each day and it might get a decent viewing audience.

For what it's worth, I have started trying to collate highlights of women's races I find online or get off the TV on to a YouTube account I created.

Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
But congrats on "living the dream" temporarily, maybe someday you will even earn a salary out of your contract instead of just getting a free bike and a kit. You may also want to give some thought now as to how you will pay the bills when your "pro career" ends.

Bike Centric-- Thank you for clarifying- I can see your point-- and I agree that there is much more at stake- as far as the amount of larger salaries available, etc. I would still hesitate to use the term laughable. The amount prestige of a world title or an olympic medal does not change with the gender of it's recipient-- therefore, some people will take extreme and illegal measures to attain that status. Laughable?

And so you know I do have a salary, 2 free bikes, 5 kits + other gear + travel expenses to national and local races. AND, I have a few college degrees. I do, however, appreciate your concern over my thought about my own future. I have taken my future into account-- as have many other women in women's professional racing.

~~

Here's to "pro-careers"-- and a great autumn- a time to recoup and get in some BIG big miles! :)

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Kirsten Armstrong maintains 5.6 watts/kg (325 watts at 58 kg) according to her previous world title power data. Unprecedented for a female but as already stated, who cares tbh.

kbonita said:
Bike Centric-- Thank you for clarifying- I can see your point-- and I agree that there is much more at stake- as far as the amount of larger salaries available, etc. I would still hesitate to use the term laughable. The amount prestige of a world title or an olympic medal does not change with the gender of it's recipient-- therefore, some people will take extreme and illegal measures to attain that status. Laughable?

And so you know I do have a salary, 2 free bikes, 5 kits + other gear + travel expenses to national and local races. AND, I have a few college degrees. I do, however, appreciate your concern over my thought about my own future. I have taken my future into account-- as have many other women in women's professional racing.

~~

Here's to "pro-careers"-- and a great autumn- a time to recoup and get in some BIG big miles! :)

I'm glad you've got an education because unless you won the genetic lottery and are the next Genevieve Jeansen (minus the drugs) you aren't going to earn enough to feed yourself as a female pro cyclist.

I've got three female pro friends and they get paid exactly ZERO Dollars in salary, although they are fully covered in terms of bike, kits, travel, and entry fees. Granted they aren't awesome (i.e. World class), but they are good.

It's a subsidized hobby.

Not that I don't have a ton of respect for people who've put in the work and have the skill/discipline to get to your level - I actually have a lot of it. I highlight this reality of the sport not to disrespect you and your ilk but because I think it's unjust and I'm cynical about it, but it is what it is.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
I'm glad you've got an education because unless you won the genetic lottery and are the next Genevieve Jeansen (minus the drugs) you aren't going to earn enough to feed yourself as a female pro cyclist.

I've got three female pro friends and they get paid exactly ZERO Dollars in salary, although they are fully covered in terms of bike, kits, travel, and entry fees. Granted they aren't awesome (i.e. World class), but they are good.

It's a subsidized hobby.

Not that I don't have a ton of respect for people who've put in the work and have the skill/discipline to get to your level - I actually have a lot of it. I highlight this reality of the sport not to disrespect you and your ilk but because I think it's unjust and I'm cynical about it, but it is what it is.
Mate, I can understand what you're trying to say, but man, with phrases like "you and your ilk", you're digging yourself deeper into that hole rather than out of it! :)

Also, your comments may apply to women's pro racing in the US, but they don't apply to the same degree outside of there. Like you, I have friends who are current and past pro cyclists - including road and dirt riders, and both men and women. While the women definitely don't get as much as the pro-tour guys, the ones who are racing in Europe do earn enough to keep them going without an off-season job. Likewise for a couple who are racing in North America. Definitely there are some of my friends who are/were as you say engaging in a "subsidised hobby" - but that comment applies equally to both "boys" and "girls" who are outside of the top flight of the sport.

This comment isn't to say that I think that pro women are getting a fair deal in comparison to the guys. My partner has worked as a soigneur for both mens' and womens' teams and I can tell you (admittedly second hand from her) that there is no difference in professionalism and effort between the sexes. Sure, women's races may be shorter, but I don't honestly believe that's the reason for the lesser money available for women's racing. And as I said in another post on a similar topic - if readers on this forum had seen Ina Teutenberg in a Womens' Tour of Wellington a few years back race the same crit course as the guys had raced a month earlier at a faster average speed, then maybe we wouldn't see some of the outdated sexist crap that some members (and I'm not including you in this group BC) have posted in this thread.

Having read in a review of Pendleton's book that she self harmed and was well known for being an emotional wreck....it got me thinking about pro women cyclists and the effect that PED's would have.

What drugs would they take ?, would it be the same as the men, and how would it effect them ?

This quote from this thread:-

Possibly the most famous case of recent times was Geneviève Jeanson, a Canadian rider who excelled on the road. After lots of rumours, then a positive test which she disputed, she eventually spilled the beans a couple of years ago, saying that she had been using EPO since the age of 15/16 under the guidance of her trainer and her father.

So that confirms that they are doping from a VERY young age...not just women but all sports.

Oh yeah women dope.

If they gave out a Tammy Thomas award in 2012, it probably should have gone to this temporary Olympic medalist, Nadzeya Ostapchuk of Belarus until she tested positive before and **IN COMPETITION**

failed_test.jpg

Talk about failing the IQ test.

Not Again !!

God how many times must you regurgitate those photos ??

What ped's do the pro women cyclists take ? same as men ? surely testosterone, epo, clenbuterol would not have the same effects on the women...and would be detrimental as they have oestrogen and different internal organs - not that many of you here would know that. ;)

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:

What ped's do the pro women cyclists take ? same as men ? surely testosterone, epo, clenbuterol would not have the same effects on the women...and would be detrimental as they have oestrogen and different internal organs - not that many of you here would know that. ;)

Tell that to Rasa Leleivyte, positive for EPO on June 12 ;)

Cycle Chic said:
So that confirms that they are doping from a VERY young age...not just women but all sports.
As stated earlier, Ms. Jeansons case is sad. Another teen doper is Marion Jones. There was/is some really sketchy stuff going on with the parenting and adults in their lives.

Here's a "never tested positive" moment for you absolutely buried inside a Sport Illustrated story from American Olympian Allyson Felix regarding her relationship with banned manager Mark Block, "...Also, in the post-race press conference, she addressed her relationship with former agent Mark Block, who is two years into a 10-year suspension for his involvement with doping athletes. "Mark Block is close friend of mine," she said. "I love him dearly. I love his family" -- Block is married to former Ukrainian sprinter Zhanna Pintusevich-Block, who was connected to BALCO fonder Victor Conte and hit with a two-year doping suspension in 2011. "He comes to my meets because he's a great friend of mine.")"

At this point in time, if an athlete of any gender can afford it, the drugs and their protocols are well known now. In some cases, it's not that much money relative to having $10K in bikes and bike parts. Not particularly illegal either besides getting banned from USAC if you aren't a part of the Boulder Bubble.

Every body is different. So much of doping is figuring out the combination to which your body best responds. A little HGH after every ride will improve recovery, experiment with EPO and see if you are a responder. And that's just a primitive program that works pretty well for many. In the U.S., you don't even have to do it yourself! Just visit an anti-aging clinic in your area and get medical supervision for your doping program.

Cycle Chic said:

Yes, of course you're right. My apologies. It's kind of like driving by a 20 car pileup on the freeway, just can't help but look. This thread should be safe from having the shirtless chicken image come up though. (perfect opportunity for another wise guy)

Came across this interesting part in an article:

The raiding authorities found prohibited drugs and a huge assortment of doping paraphernalia. The doping materials that were found at the race hotel were also found at team headquarters in Brescia, which was searched at the same time as the hotel.

La Repubblica reports that the prohibited drugs included insulin, female hormones, stimulants, pills, syringes, and butterfly needles, which are used for blood transfusions.

Story is about a the 2010 baby giro
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4...-Giro-tossed-from-race-after-police-raid.aspx

Perhaps Lucchini Unidelta Ecovalsabbia also had a womens team?

Fatclimber said:
Yes, of course you're right. My apologies. It's kind of like driving by a 20 car pileup on the freeway, just can't help but look. This thread should be safe from having the shirtless chicken image come up though. (perfect opportunity for another wise guy)

Chicken is not nearly as disturbing as this picture. I hate manly women, give me a girly girl thank you very much.

On topic: what about the story of Ricco's girlfriend? She got banned as well, right? But that story was weird, as later she was cleared, as far as I am aware.

If I remember correctly, the B-sample was negative with Vania, but they thought it was due to the doping products breaking down before the second test was done rather than any innocence. Nevertheless, impossible to prove, and she was reinstated and cleared. She raced the CX Worlds earlier this year.

DirtyWorks said:
"Female hormones" is probably a press-friendly way to describe a hormone. We know that doping at this level is a true "black bag" operation with lots of drugs and little expertise. So it could have been junk too.
Unless their headquarters was a pharmacy of course.:D

mountaindew said:
HCG is what they are meaning as female hormone.

That sound sensible. Perhaps something got lost in translation somewhere.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
ladyvader said:
She straight up looks like a man.:confused:
Poor Tammy - that picture will never go away. She was even shaving - had a 5-o'clock shadow - for a while. But she was most definitely two things - a woman, and hot-sauced.

You can find out more here - and you will see that she really wasn't as ugly as the steroids built her to be http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Thomas-found-guilty-of-lying-in-BALCO-probe-3219287.php

Her quote:
''Athletes don't really care about their bodies. They care more about winning.''
from here: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/10/sports/olympics-seeking-her-way-out-of-infamy.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm is particularly apropos. Says it all in 25 words or less, doesn't it!

She has a personal training company today - but for a long time she was very bitter, and did not admit personal responsibility. I don't know how that all shakes out for her today, but I hope for the better.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Marcia Fernandes Silva (Bizkaia-Durango) and Nayara Gomes Ramos (Brazilian U-23 champion) tested positive for EPO at the Brazilian Road Race Championships in June.

And Juliana Jacobs Renner tested positive for Stanozolol at the Brazilian Track Championships

http://www.business-standard.com/ar...ions-suspended-for-doping-114103000245_1.html
https://translate.googleusercontent...oping/&usg=ALkJrhhyK-kyKb1jOBpsuSTRRbADMyp_LQ
https://translate.google.no/transla...ampeas-brasileiras-de-ciclismo-sao-suspensas/

TRENDING THREADS