• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Woot woot! Things found on a ride -- (non-D)

We need more "non-D" threads. People need to ante up. :)

What types of swag have you found while riding?

I have found lots of construction tools, bike multi-tools, knives, CDs, and a kitten.

Here is my kitten story: I stopped in a shaded, dirt area just off the road to get out of the heat. It was out in BFE at the base of a small canyon in Utah. I heard a weak meowing and looked down to find a kitten about six inches from my foot. So I reached down, picked it up, and then spotted a full grown cat of the same color nearby on its side--dead. I ended up riding twenty miles or so home with one hand while carrying the kitten in the other.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Peanut Butter wrench, the one thing found I use a lot.

Tire Levers.

Lance signed Postal arm warmer (note singular only one). I need to e-bay it.

Countless Cell phones! :eek: Probably 5 of them only one worked or was only in two pieces, returned it to its happy owner, the rest were destroyed. Do people just toss their cell phones out the car window?

A few dollars, single bills floating along the roadside.

Countless US Quarters.

I keep seeing single shoes of a shoe pair but never pick them up, who tosses one shoe out?

Keys on a key ring.

Kerns Juice cans rolling along a steep roadside, picked one up but it was too heavy to carry on such a climb, so back it went.

Bike Tubes, yet another reason people hate cyclists, thanks tube tossers!

CO2 Cartridges, see above :mad:

Happy Meal toys, I kept one that was still in the wrapper, gave it to a kid.

Toy Dagger.

New Years day hat.

New Years day noise maker.

Mercedes Benz emblem.

Plant Clippers, small ones.

Putty Knife, hey I use it to remove sewup glue :)

Humm... I know there's more, but not worth mentioning.

If you start a thread what I've seen along the road side, boy we're in for a long one :D

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
I found a watch with a broken band,it was an omega James bond series watch. I hung sings up about it and noone called to claim it. I went and had band repaired and was told it worth about $1500 dollars. I later traded it for a mountain bike.:D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
We need more "non-D" threads. People need to ante up. :)

What types of swag have you found while riding?

I have found lots of construction tools, bike multi-tools, knives, CDs, and a kitten.

Here is my kitten story: I stopped in a shaded, dirt area just off the road to get out of the heat. It was out in BFE at the base of a small canyon in Utah. I heard a weak meowing and looked down to find a kitten about six inches from my foot. So I reached down, picked it up, and then spotted a full grown cat of the same color nearby on its side--dead. I ended up riding twenty miles or so home with one hand while carrying the kitten in the other.

So what became of the kitten??

Daniel Benson said:
agreed. You can't keep us hanging like that. What happened to the kitten?

The apartment I was living in did not allow pets. Two of my roommates were cool with it. One liked cats, so we kept it for almost two weeks. Then our evil roommate turned us into the property manager. That roommate was a goody two shoes returned Mormon missionary mofo. I think breaking rules, not just by him but by other people, was offensive to him. He never talked to us about it, not one word. He just ratted us out. I gave the kitten to a friend of another roommate, and the evil roommate was made to understand that the rest of us did not like nor trust him. He made some sort of arrangement with the property manager and moved out a month later. We were glad to see him go.

Oh Deer!

On an early ride one morning spotted a young deer. It jumped infront of me and then across the road into on comming traffic. The poor thing was hit by a Volvo! And then it was airborn - it flew back from whence it came back at me! Ever been hit by a deer at 20mph - well I have!

Before you ask the deer didn't make it - no crash hat I guess.

I carried on to finish the ride and to be honest I wasn't sure if I dreamt the whole thing - but the skip in my (out of true) front wheel confirmed it was all too real.

p.s I saw a wallaby once not that unusual in South Australia but a little less common in South Oxfordshire!

A

Anonymous

i found about 30 metres of tarmac going down roche hill in cornwall..
i lost 1 leg off my shorts and half a pint of blood

laura.weislo

Administrator
Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
I once found a working cell phone and about $40 worth of bills scattered on the bike path that runs through the University. A quick check of the phone revealed "Home" as a contact. I called and found the kid's mom at home and arranged to get his phone and money back to him. I'm sure the kid got a lecture, but they left me a $20 on the porch after coming to claim the loot. :)

dimspace said:
i found about 30 metres of tarmac going down roche hill in cornwall..
i lost 1 leg off my shorts and half a pint of blood

Lame. I was gonna make a "found the road" joke.

In lieu of that, my buddy found a little Cannon digital camera (an SLR, I think). The viewing screen was cracked, though, and it turns out replacing those things is almost as expensive as buying new camera...

180mmCrank said:
On an early ride one morning spotted a young deer. It jumped infront of me and then across the road into on comming traffic. The poor thing was hit by a Volvo! And then it was airborn - it flew back from whence it came back at me! Ever been hit by a deer at 20mph - well I have!

On a dark rainy november night, I had a deer run out in front of me. Upon impact we both slid along the wet leaf-covered road - got up, looked at each other before it ran of. I guess the slippery road ment neither we or bike were damaged.

I found my first dog on the way to work. She jumped out from behind a fire hydrant and chased me down the street. I had a fence and was close to home so I picked her up and threw her over, then rode on to work.

I rode home with a really nice pair of scissors once, which I found in front of a drug store.

I found a little bag of pot, talking with a friend after a ride in a city park.

I can’t think of anything else interesting.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
DVDs (XXX, Blade and another one I cannot remember), a multitool which I still use, plenty of elastic straps which are useful around the house/car, and change.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
On a night ride I found the world's biggest Carpet Snake curled up in the middle of my side of the road. Managed to bunny hop it but scared the absolute sh!t out of me.... as did a great big bl@@dy King Brown on another day - thankfully that one was during daylight hours.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
King Brown would startle me as well - and then I would be riding pretty damn quickly. I jumped when I rode past a dead Brown Tree Snake in Cairns a little while ago - didn't know it was dead at the time, but had to go back for a second look. Back in Canada, my wife was riding in the Gatineau Hills as a black bear emerged from the woods. As we are Australian and not used to bears, this had her riding with a little more pace as well.

TRENDING THREADS