• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Championships 2024: Men's Road Race (September 29)

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's going to be really interesting between these gc type of riders and classic type of riders. Seems like big riders can handle this and they may not fade that badly in higher amount of laps because enough years and races and grand tours. But then again there are some gc riders that are not fading like Christen did if they go solo very far out.

The favorites went really hard, and it was still won by a rouleur.

It looks a lot better for Van Aert than I initially thought.

Wait.
If it's good for Van Aert, it's better for Van der Poel. So yeah... probably still wouldn't have won.

I think if the elite race were held today, in this weather, it would have been a 50 k Pogacar solo to the line though. For excitement's sake, let's hope it will indeed be a little better on Sunday.

as always, people stop to analyze at tge length of the climbs. The fact that they are not done only once or twice seems irrelevant, not to mention the D+ meters which always seems to be a random and meaningless number. okay...
While that’s probably true it’s a lot harder for any cycling fan or commentator to to try to predict outcomes on things like recovery ability in a 6-7 hr hilly race with a lot of cumulative elevation. That’s because we don’t have any metrics for that, there is no baseline for the elite pros performance on this course, especially given this isn’t a course they repeat some variation of each year. It’s not like we have ( except perhaps for Mou😊) their trainings numbers for hill repeats.
So folks here entertain themselves and each other making guesses with the information they do have. No need to be snarky about that.

Not surprising. What about the original 1960’s Heidi? Although a lot folks probably say they saw it, I really was watching the 4th quarter of the NY Jets game with my Dad when NBC abruptly cut off the broadcast to air that “Heidi” at it’s scheduled time. :)

Wow. Was it a good game? Hopefully the Jets won. I must have missed that Heidi. But it's on youtube so I'll have a watch.

Last edited:
Wow. Was it a good game? Hopefully the Jets won. I must have missed that Heidi. But it's on youtube so I'll have a watch.
It was a close game that was going down to the wire, which is why thousands of mostly Jets as well as other football fans called NBC in outrage. I wasn’t a Jets fan so it was mostly startling to be watching a tight game one moment and seemingly a moment later the Swiss (I assume) Alps are on the screen!

It's a demanding course, but not for the pure climbers. The first 6 km of the lap is the only chance to create a big gap uphill. It will be hard to control this race. A group of strong outsiders can anticipate, and lesser climbers can come back in the descent or with an organized chase.

It's somewhat comparable to Amstel and San Sebastian. It's probably too tough for Pedersen and Matthews, but feasible for a motivated MvdP. Obvious favorites are Pogacar and Evenepoel, but there are many other contenders, such as Hirschi, Alaphilippe, Jorgenson, Pidcock, Healy, Van Gils and twenty others.