• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Championships Confirmed Teams/Pre-Selections

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
MatParker117 said:
GB I imagine will be:
Froome
Kennaugh
Thomas
Stannard
Wiggins
Dowsett
Edmonson
Millar

Would be strange to not pick Cummings (unless he's injured). He'd certainly be a better choice than Dowsett although Wiggins probably just won't bother riding anyway. Not that any of it matters as they don't have a leader to ride for.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
MatParker117 said:
GB I imagine will be:
Froome
Kennaugh
Thomas
Stannard
Wiggins
Dowsett
Edmonson
Millar

Would be a reasonably good team. Thomas if he's recovered could be a dark horse.

I'm not certain on Wiggins' participation though as thought he was just doing the time-trial? Luke Rowe or one of the Yates brothers (if they are allowed?) could take his place.

May 31, 2013
Visit site
CycloAndy said:
Would be a reasonably good team. Thomas if he's recovered could be a dark horse.

I'm not certain on Wiggins' participation though as thought he was just doing the time-trial? Luke Rowe or one of the Yates brothers (if they are allowed?) could take his place.

If Rowe makes it through the vuelta im sure he'll make it. Also I'm not sure about kennaugh. After the tour he said to the bbc he'd be doing the vuelta, but didnt do that with no explanation why, then apparently he was down for the tour of britain but again isn't listed to ride that and so has no warm up races for the worlds.

MatParker117 said:
GB I imagine will be:
Froome
Kennaugh
Thomas
Stannard
Wiggins
Dowsett
Edmonson
Millar

They might well be selected due to a lack of options but I don't think Kennaugh (partying hard in Ibiza) or Thomas (just recovered from fractured pelvis) have any form to speak of. Not sure about Millar either or a beefed up Wiggins, who probably wouldn't want to help Froome even if he could. Stannard and Edmondson will probably be Froome's best helpers. The course obviously doesn't suit the likes of Dowsett, Rowe, Blythe, Cavendish, Fenn, Swift (injured anyway) etc. Cummings and JTL will most likely be selected if they have any sort of form at all.

The obvious picks for the Irish team have now been confirmed:
http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-...-world-championships-as-well-as-juniors-u23s/

So it's Martin, Roche, Deignan and one more to be chosen from a shortlist of four riders.

Unfortunately, the four haven't been named but I'd guess that they are Brammeier, Lavery, McConvey and McLaughlin. It's possible that Sam Bennett (An Post) is on the shortlist, perhaps in place of McConvey or McLaughlin, but I doubt it, given that he's a sprinter. It's not all that important, I suppose, given that the fourth pick will certainly be there to get bottles for the first 150 or 200 km and nothing much else.

JRanton said:
They might well be selected due to a lack of options but I don't think Kennaugh (partying hard in Ibiza) or Thomas (just recovered from fractured pelvis) have any form to speak of. Not sure about Millar either or a beefed up Wiggins, who probably wouldn't want to help Froome even if he could. Stannard and Edmondson will probably be Froome's best helpers. The course obviously doesn't suit the likes of Dowsett, Rowe, Blythe, Cavendish, Fenn, Swift (injured anyway) etc. Cummings and JTL will most likely be selected if they have any sort of form at all.

He was on an island on wednesday, but definately not Ibiza.

If he was going to do worlds he should have been racing in Canada or TOB, if not Vuelta

JRanton said:

Thomas is doing both Canadian races if he does well there he'll race.

Colombia Team

Official info:
Preselection (Bold are already confirmed to be in):
Uran,Quintana,Henao,Betancur,Atapuma, Duarte, Chalapud, Pantano, Infantino, Cano, Acevedo, Serpa, Rubiano, Duque, Anacona, Arredondo.

My opinion:
Serpa already said he wasn't going to do it. Infantino and Cano are local riders and probably will be doing one of the two major colombian races, Clasico RCN, so they will be out.

Arredondo and Acevedo gave many needed points in the UCI continental (winners of UCI Asia and UCI America, respectively).

Because of this, I feel Arredondo and Acevedo deserve a slot each.

That leaves two. My choices would be Duque, a sprinter-climber that has the most experience in world tour races, and Winner Anacona, because he will be in great form from the Vuelta, its the tallest Colombian on the list, which helps protect the leaders in the first 150 km or so, and is called Winner.

I would have put Cayenato Sarmiento in the team, doing a great job in the Vuelta as a helper.

We know the following: Uran is in great form, even leading Boassen Haggen on stage 12 for an almost win, Henao is right there but struggling in the Vuelta and Nairo hasn't raced since winning Burgos, so we should see his form in Tour of England.
That being said:
Leader: Uran
2nd: Nairo
Top protector/climbing teammate: Henao
Helpers: Atapuma, Anacona, Acevedo, Arredondo (all As in my book), Duque
Joker: Betancur.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Zinoviev Letter said:
The obvious picks for the Irish team have now been confirmed:
http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-...-world-championships-as-well-as-juniors-u23s/

So it's Martin, Roche, Deignan and one more to be chosen from a shortlist of four riders.

Unfortunately, the four haven't been named but I'd guess that they are Brammeier, Lavery, McConvey and McLaughlin. It's possible that Sam Bennett (An Post) is on the shortlist, perhaps in place of McConvey or McLaughlin, but I doubt it, given that he's a sprinter. It's not all that important, I suppose, given that the fourth pick will certainly be there to get bottles for the first 150 or 200 km and nothing much else.

They should just give it to Brammeier. He even said himself he would be happy with this role in getting bottles and helping out for the first 200km at most. Lavery did a decent ride for Cofidis at Burgos but overall he is too raw and green at this level.

This is certainly our best chance since the Kelly/Roche days of doing something.

José Mendes and André Cardoso shoud be the the picks for Portugal. Have to see how Paulinho does in Canada tho. Machado is riding patheticly, although he had the guts to say ''if justice is made (or something like that), i will be picked for the RR.'' (or was it TT?).

BigMac said:
José Mendes and André Cardoso shoud be the the picks for Portugal. Have to see how Paulinho does in Canada tho. Machado is riding patheticly, although he had the guts to say ''if justice is made (or something like that), i will be picked for the RR.'' (or was it TT?).
Nah he always says something along the lines of: I was one of the riders who got WT points so I deserve a place no matter what.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
According to Feltet.dk, La Gazzetta reports that Italy's team consists of Nibali, Ulissi, Pellizotti, Nocentini, Paolini, Pozzato, Aru, Santaromita and one more, likely Visconti, Felline, Ponzi or Giampolo Caruso.

http://m.cyclingnews.com/news/bettini-with-selection-dilemma-for-the-tuscany-world-championships

Cycling news suggests vanotti is also likely to take part. Any word on the TT squad? I assume it's out of Pinotti, Malori and Cataldo? Was surprised not to see Cataldo on the shortlist for the RR, he's a great domestique.

The three spots in the Danish team will be between Chris Anker Sørensen, Jakob Fuglsang, Matti Breshel, Nicki Sørensen and Michael Mørkøv (Bonde told Danish newspaper). Personally I think the first three are the most likely to be selected.

GB:

Men’s Elite Road Race – 8 places qualified

Mark Cavendish
Steve Cummings
Alex Dowsett
Josh Edmondson
Andy Fenn
Chris Froome
Luke Rowe
Ian Stannard
Geraint Thomas
Jon Tiernan Locke
Bradley Wiggins

No Kennaugh (done for the year?), Blythe, Millar and Swift (injured).

Men’s Elite Time Trial

Alex Dowsett
Bradley Wiggins

http://www.velouk.net/2013/09/10/news-gb-long-list-for-road-worlds/

I don't expect anything in the Men's road race but quite optimistic about U23s and Juniors.

ingsve said:
Sweden's team:

Road: Fredrik Kessiakoff, Thomas Löfkvist, Tobias Ludvigsson
ITT: Gustav Larsson, Tobias Ludvigsson

Will Larsson be eligible for the ITT if he doesn't ride the road race?

I have it in my head that you have to ride the latter to be eligible for the former. But now I think of it, that doesn't make sense. Maybe I am thinking of the Olympics from last year.