• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Championships Innsbruck 2018

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
wheresmybrakes said:
I really can't get my head around Valverde being the 3/1 favourite for this race. Those are low odds for someone who finished the Vuelta looking like one more mountain would mean him climbing off. I don't think he will be in contention towards the end so I'm gonna have a sneaky few quid on Poels having a good day at 25's and an each way for NQ at 66's.
100% this. Valverde has struggled at the worlds when he finished the vuelta in great shape, this time he finished it in horrible shape. I think I we have reached the point where this race just doesn't have a favorite at all
Yeah, gonna be very interesting to say the least.

Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
So, it might... snow?

https://www.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich-wetter/Naechste-Woche-kommt-Schnee-bis-in-die-Staedte/349032903

Snow is coming to the cities next week
Funky: Innsbruck and Salzburg could already be white next week.

This week it gets hot one last time. It expects us largely sunny sunny late summer weather with temperatures up to the 30-degree mark. On Tuesday it clears up after fog and high fog in the morning, in the whole country it is bright sunny at up to 30 degrees. On Wednesday there are some showers in the west, also thunderstorms are possible. The rest of the country remains dry and sunny at up to 28 degrees. Also on Thursday and Friday it stays warm. The harbingers of autumn, which starts on Sunday, will come to the weekend.

onset of winter

Just in time for the beginning of autumn, there could be a first onset of winter. According to current forecasts, it could snow to many valleys next week. Towards the end of the week we will reach a powerful low. This is accompanied by the first minus degrees and fresh snow.

Especially in the west of the country, it could snow down into many valleys. For example, Innsbruck or Salzburg could already turn white. There should be no larger amounts of snow. In Vienna, on the other hand, it will be necessary to wait for the first snow. In addition, the forecasts are currently still uncertain.

How likely is this snow forecast? Could we see a change of route with the high mountains snowed in. If so a bet on GVA or Sagan might be worth while and Matthews being left out becomes more of a mistake.

Asero831 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Very nice spanish team, last chance for Valverde most likely. Maybe Yorkshire could be relevant as well (It will), but he wont get a better chance than here. They have some riders which did great in La Vuelta and is in shape.

Can you share the profile for Yorkshire? I have not seen this one yet.
Normally it should be available already by now.
Yorkshire was supposed to be very easy, nothing to do with the usual Tour de Yorkshire stages but maybe they'll change something considering that Cavendish is done.

sprints n stones said:
Logic-is-your-friend said:
So, it might... snow?

https://www.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich-wetter/Naechste-Woche-kommt-Schnee-bis-in-die-Staedte/349032903

Snow is coming to the cities next week
Funky: Innsbruck and Salzburg could already be white next week.

This week it gets hot one last time. It expects us largely sunny sunny late summer weather with temperatures up to the 30-degree mark. On Tuesday it clears up after fog and high fog in the morning, in the whole country it is bright sunny at up to 30 degrees. On Wednesday there are some showers in the west, also thunderstorms are possible. The rest of the country remains dry and sunny at up to 28 degrees. Also on Thursday and Friday it stays warm. The harbingers of autumn, which starts on Sunday, will come to the weekend.

onset of winter

Just in time for the beginning of autumn, there could be a first onset of winter. According to current forecasts, it could snow to many valleys next week. Towards the end of the week we will reach a powerful low. This is accompanied by the first minus degrees and fresh snow.

Especially in the west of the country, it could snow down into many valleys. For example, Innsbruck or Salzburg could already turn white. There should be no larger amounts of snow. In Vienna, on the other hand, it will be necessary to wait for the first snow. In addition, the forecasts are currently still uncertain.

How likely is this snow forecast? Could we see a change of route with the high mountains snowed in. If so a bet on GVA or Sagan might be worth while and Matthews being left out becomes more of a mistake.
SNOW?

5g73gd186cs0g8cgs0cs8wc-stage-20-giro-victory-nibali.jpg

sprints n stones said:

It won't be "snowed in" in any case. It's got 30 *** degrees today!
But the roads might be slippery, which may be a concern.

Hugo Koblet said:
42x16ss said:
Matthews.

Has.

No.

Chance.

On.

This.

Course.
Matthews might not realistically have a chance, but who's Australia gonna back? Porte who has never finished a one-day WT-race (except for Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race, I believe - correct me if I'm wrong)? Jack Haig is probably their only shot at a top 20.
Porte finished top 10 at San Sebastián in 2010, 20 something in 2013. Found himself in the final group against riders like Evans and Gerrans several times at nationals as well, without a team.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Aren't a lot of Aussie riders comign from other backgrounds than cycling. I get the idea that the domestic cycling scene is quite small but some top talents come from stuff like triathlon or even swimming, but I can't remember the latter.

Traditionally track cycling was very big until the big worldwide shift in the Armstrong years. There are many clubs that have been around a long time but not always with very big memberships. Years ago all Australian road riders also rode track in summer. Evans had a mountain bike background, Gerrans and Porte in triathlons but most of the others had some track experience including O'Grady, Dennis and most of his generation. As for the new riders including Haig and co, not so sure about them.

spalco said:
movingtarget said:
Matthews is a tough one. Haig and Simon Clarke had to be included at least for their team work. Porte is the big question mark.[...]

If I were the australian DS I would have dumped Porte on principle. I mean he was just taking the piss all year long, why have even the tiniest bit of trust he would even try seriously here? Better give a younger guy the chance to gather some experience.

You are 100% correct - Porte's effort or LACK of effort at the Vuelta was a disgrace.

movingtarget said:
Red Rick said:
Aren't a lot of Aussie riders comign from other backgrounds than cycling. I get the idea that the domestic cycling scene is quite small but some top talents come from stuff like triathlon or even swimming, but I can't remember the latter.

Traditionally track cycling was very big until the big worldwide shift in the Armstrong years. There are many clubs that have been around a long time but not always with very big memberships. Years ago all Australian road riders also rode track in summer. Evans had a mountain bike background, Gerrans and Porte in triathlons but most of the others had some track experience including O'Grady, Dennis and most of his generation. As for the new riders including Haig and co, not so sure about them.
Haig came from MTB, Gerrans from Motocross, like Matthews. O’Connor has come from cross country running and AFL, Storer, Scotson, Meyer, Durbridge, Ewan and Dennis all initially came from track. Porte and Hansen came from triathlon, both relatively late.

The rest have mostly been brought up on road.

42x16ss said:
movingtarget said:
Red Rick said:

Haig came from MTB, Gerrans from Motocross, like Matthews. O’Connor has come from cross country running and AFL, Storer, Scotson, Meyer, Durbridge, Ewan and Dennis all initially came from track. Porte and Hansen came from triathlon, both relatively late.

And Robbie McEwen from BMX ! Phil Anderson rode for a French road club as an amateur before joining the Peugeot Team. Mick Rogers had a track background.

42x16ss said:

I was going to reply to suggest that maybe you meant cyclocross (although I wouldn't associate that discipline with Australia much)), but I'm glad I checked. Other than the similarity of balancing on 2 wheels it seems a very odd gateway to road cycling.
[/off topic]

Alexandre B. said:
Strawberry_Jams said:
Anybody betting on Bardet to win? 34/1. Looking good, building form for either the Worlds or Lombardia
He needs to finish alone for that to happen. And I struggle to see him outclimb everyone.

Yeah I thought that. But with the length and difficulty, I think it will be fairly even if it comes down to a sprint with the type of guys who will be there in the finish. Unless Bala and Alaphilippe somehow make it. Which I highly doubt. E/w would be a good option

EDIT: Unless Moscon arrives at the finish as well :rolleyes:

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Of the major favourites, who would benefit most from “bad” (cold and/or rainy conditions)? Also, does anyone have any opinion on Dumoulin’s prospects? He’s shown that he can do well on muritos and he can obviously solo.