• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Worlds Apeldoorn

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-gold-at-track-cycling-worlds/article1958512/

CANADIAN CYCLING ASSOCIATION

TARA WHITTEN TRIUMPH AT TRACK CYCLING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS, WINS GOLD MEDAL IN WOMEN’S OMNIUM
Whitten successfully defends her title

(Apeldoorn, NED - March 27, 2011) Canadian cyclist Tara Whitten of Edmonton, Alberta, successfully defended her World Title in the Women’s omnium event at the 2011 UCI World Championships in Apeldoorn, the Netherlands, winning the gold medal for the second consecutive year at the top international event for track cyclists.

Whitten, the 2011 World Cup Champion in the event, won the gold medal with 23 points, leading by eight points silver medallist Sarah Hammer of the United States.

“Entering the event, I knew it would be hard to defend, actually. As we get closer to the Olympics, the competition is getting stronger and stronger. I came here ready for anything,” said Whitten, 30, who won her career third World Title.

“I gave everything I had in all six events, and I am incredibly thrilled to come out on top two years in a row. I know that Kirsten Wild is a strong cyclist, but I also expect everyone to be stronger and stronger. I just need to figure out how to continue to improve and be better.”

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
After reading this on the BBC website, I thought it was an April Fool, but the tosser is serious. After destroying Track Cycling to accomodate Rogge and getting elected to the IOC, ensuring life long membership to the "Easy Street" club he is now prepared to bend over backwards for his new "buddies" Kite Flying and Dominos to follow.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/9436066.stm

By Ollie Williams
BBC Sport in Apeldoorn

"Cycling world governing body the UCI has confirmed it is once again seeking to include skateboarding as one of its disciplines at a future Olympic Games.

Though an unlikely partnership, the UCI believes it is best-placed to introduce skateboarding to the Games.

"We're discussing bringing in BMX freestyle and even skateboarding," UCI president Pat McQuaid told BBC Sport.

The UCI attempted to include skateboarding at London 2012 but those plans fell through in late 2007.

At the time, a lack of support for the idea from within the organisation - dominated by members of the traditional cycling disciplines - and hesitation over Olympic participation from some skateboarders were blamed.

But with the advent of the newly formed Youth Olympic movement, the UCI has returned to its plans and is lining up several fresh disciplines for inclusion at future youth or elite Olympic Games, in an attempt to hold the attention of younger generations.

"The International Olympic Committee (IOC) recognise they need to have events in the Olympic programme that bring kids into sport," said McQuaid.

"BMX came into the Games in Beijing for the first time and was a spectacular success - we've shown that to the IOC members and the reaction from the media was superb.

They're all related to wheels, they're all related to bikes as such, and from that point of view cycling is the sport that can bring those disciplines in

Pat McQuaid
"Discussions [related to BMX freestyle and skateboarding] are ongoing. I hope they come to fruition and we see those disciplines in the Olympic Games. It'd be wonderful for young kids to see events they can aim for in the Olympics.

"This is at an early stage and there is quite a lot to discuss, but from initial discussions with [IOC president] Jacques Rogge and others it's very positive."

Cycling and skateboarding may appear to have little in common beyond the use of wheels, but the latter's Olympic bid represents a marriage of convenience.

Skateboarding's chances of becoming an Olympic event benefit greatly from the backing and influence of the UCI, one of Olympic sport's most powerful governing bodies, while the UCI in turn is able to demonstrate its commitment to modernising the Olympic movement.

"They're all related to wheels, they're all related to bikes as such, and from that point of view cycling is the sport that can bring those disciplines in," explained McQuaid.

Roller sports have failed in separate bids for Olympic inclusion at London 2012 and Rio 2016, both spearheaded by the International Roller Sports Federation (FIRS) without the UCI's help.

Skateboarding would not have been included under those plans, which favoured the likes of rollerblading and roller hockey.

In the past, the introduction of new Olympic disciplines has routinely required the elimination of others. However, BBC Sport understands the UCI hopes to introduce skateboarding without losing any other events from its Olympic schedule."
BTW
The strong rumour is that when they discarded the kilo and 500m TT'sto bring BMX into the Olympics they thought they were getting the Freestyle!!!!!
INEPT DOES NOT BEGIN TO DESCRIBE THE UCI.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
FeralMetal said:
After reading this on the BBC website, I thought it was an April Fool, but the tosser is serious. After destroying Track Cycling to accomodate Rogge and getting elected to the IOC, ensuring life long membership to the "Easy Street" club he is now prepared to bend over backwards for his new "buddies" Kite Flying and Dominos to follow.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/9436066.stm

By Ollie Williams
BBC Sport in Apeldoorn

You couldn't make it up could you? They got rid of one track event that even the British public could understand, the kilo, while retaining others that defy explanation.

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hawkwood said:
It's irrelevant, the only thing that counts is the Olympics.

I'm sick of hearing those sorts of comments.

Brailsford said today:

However, Brailsford said: "If you ask most mature athletes, who have won a number of world and Olympic titles there gets a point where you need a big event to get you going.

"No disrespect to the World Championships here in Apeldoorn but for her [Vicky] and Chris they need an event of the stature of the Olympic Games to get them pushing forward 100%."

Any track rider who thinks they're too big to care about the World Championships - and who thinks they can coast for 4 years of their career - doesn't deserve anything in the Olympics.

I'd be laughing my head off if the two of them don't even qualify for Team GB. If they do get in the team, I hope they get stuffed.

Steve

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Dalakhani said:
Any track rider who thinks they're too big to care about the World Championships - and who thinks they can coast for 4 years of their career - doesn't deserve anything in the Olympics.

I'd be laughing my head off if the two of them don't even qualify for Team GB. If they do get in the team, I hope they get stuffed.

Steve

Come on, just because Brailsford says it,doesn't mean Vic and Chris think it.
Many people believe BC have taken their eye off the ball for too long to focus on the road team. Brailsford's main concern has always been the endurance squad anyway. His job will be on the line if they dont perform, SKY or no SKY.

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Rightly or wrongly british track cycling will be judged on olympic results, that is why they get their funding except obviously the sky track cycling team! They could win every event at the worlds but without olympic success wont make a difference! Think GB will do well at the olympics, can see final rides in both kierins, both sprints, team sprints and team pursuits, with the mens team pursuits being the event of the games gb v aus. Most difficult to call are omniums! I would pick swift and armistead, both could be really good at it and also wont jeopardise any other event!

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone really think that all riders in the Worlds did not give 100%?
Would any of these statements been made had team GB been more successful? I think not. The best riders won on that track against that opposition on that day.:

Dalakhani said:
Brailsford said today:
n

Steve

I seem to recall the excuse given for top riders not competing in the Commonwealth Games was that they were targeting these World Championships.

So Brailsford now announces that GB probably won't race next year's Worlds.
Assuming this is all for Vicky P and Sir C's benefit and with only one slot per Olympic event, I wonder how the rest of the team will be able to tap into this "magical motivation" concept.
The majority of the young squad might as well take the next 18 months off.

It's putting a couple of aging eggs into one basket and putting the rest into cold storage.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Dalakhani said:

Brailsford said today:

Steve

The point I was trying to make was that in the UK the funding is about Olympic medals, and these are even more important this time round given where the next Games will be. My view for what it's worth is that I prefer the Worlds where at least some of the old track events have survived, against the Olympics where many have gone due to `scheduling issues'. I remember tamden track sprints (real demolition derbies), and motor-paced events back in the 1970s, where have these gone?

Mellow Velo said:
I seem to recall the excuse given for top riders not competing in the Commonwealth Games was that they were targeting these World Championships.

Assuming this is all for Vicky P and Sir C's benefit and with only one slot per Olympic event, I wonder how the rest of the team will be able to tap into this "magical motivation" concept.

It's putting a couple of aging eggs into one basket and putting the rest into cold storage.

Said the same thing about Copenhagen too.

I'm not sure how going to Australia for a week in March to measure yourself against your London rivals is bad preparation, yet trying to hold on to Schleck and Bertie in the Tour in July for three weeks is acceptable preparation?

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
GB's results at the Worlds were fine given that there were a few riders at their first major senior championships. Were Pendleton and Hoy disappointing and disappointed? Yes of course there were bearing in mind they have dominated their events in the past few years but who can possibly argue that Bauge and Meares weren't better on the day(s).

Howevere there is a bigger and more underlying problem with the GB track team, and that is Dave Brailsford. he has painted himself too thin in the last 2 years with setting up Team Sky (and their questionable results could easily be argued). And now this clown has stated that he does not see the point in travelling to Australia for next years Worlds.

Get in the real world Brailsford!!! This is the stupidest idea I have ever heard. How can not racing against, and therefore measuring yourself against, the best in the world be a bad thing? The distance involved is irrelevant, what you are questioning is the inclusion of Wiggins, Thimas, Swift et al from the road team to prepare for the worlds and the Olympics in the same year which will obviously weaken the road team.

This is a blatent conflict of interest which can only harm the younger riders such as Sam Harrison who will miss out.

The call for Brailsford to resign must start NOW.

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Said the same thing about Copenhagen too.

I'm not sure how going to Australia for a week in March to measure yourself against your London rivals is bad preparation, yet trying to hold on to Schleck and Bertie in the Tour in July for three weeks is acceptable preparation?

There seems to be a general lack of interest in competing at 100% - at least, when they lose, that's the reason we're given. I just don't get how a cyclist can do that for 4 years and not lose their will to win.

Pendleton has talked about losing her killer instinct.

Is it something that can be switched on and off? Or, once it goes, is it hard to get back?

She's been given too easy a ride, IMO. All this "will she win 3 golds" plus "who cares about 2009, 2010, 2011... none of it matters" just can't be good.

I still have hopes for the likes of Jason Kenny and maybe Wiggo and Thomas.
(Though how they're going to recover after the TdF has to be a huge question.)

Those guys have been competing hard. Not getting soft.

Steve

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Dalakhani said:
There seems to be a general lack of interest in competing at 100% - at least, when they lose, that's the reason we're given. I just don't get how a cyclist can do that for 4 years and not lose their will to win.

Pendleton has talked about losing her killer instinct.

Is it something that can be switched on and off? Or, once it goes, is it hard to get back?

She's been given too easy a ride, IMO. All this "will she win 3 golds" plus "who cares about 2009, 2010, 2011... none of it matters" just can't be good.

I still have hopes for the likes of Jason Kenny and maybe Wiggo and Thomas.
(Though how they're going to recover after the TdF has to be a huge question.)

Those guys have been competing hard. Not getting soft.

Steve

Apparently wiggins and thomas will do the giro next year!

Mellow Velo said:

Wholeheartedly agree.

And for those not riding the Olympics (which for one rider/team is a fair few), their careers are worthless as they can "only" go for world championships? It's a disgrace and I'm rapidly losing support for the management.

Oh, and Princess Pendleton, being talented is not a "curse".

Raceoftruth said:
Apparently wiggins and thomas will do the giro next year!

You've got to be kidding? The Sky boys need to decide whether they want to progress their road careers or stick to the track. Swifty has already had his season derailed for a "worthless" world championships and then wasn't even selected, and now Wiggins and Thomas are going to write off next year for the team pursuit? Team pursuit?

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
You've got to be kidding? The Sky boys need to decide whether they want to progress their road careers or stick to the track. Swifty has already had his season derailed for a "worthless" world championships and then wasn't even selected, and now Wiggins and Thomas are going to write off next year for the team pursuit? Team pursuit?
Think you need to put things into perspective and get things right! Swift has had a good start to the road campaign! How is targetting the giro instead of the tdf writing of a road campaign?

Raceoftruth said:
Think you need to put things into perspective and get things right! Swift has had a good start to the road campaign! How is targetting the giro instead of the tdf writing of a road campaign?

Yeah, I was in a bit of a bad mood yesterday so agree with the Giro. If they do the spring classics and Giro properly then that's fair enough. But if they go into these half-ar5ed like Wiggins did de Panne, then it would be a waste of a season.

I maintain what I said about Swift though. He had a cracking start to the season which was derailed by a failed attempt at selection for the track worlds. If he'd continued on the road he could have carried his form into the semi-classics, put in some decent performances and learn a great amount for the future.

alicetwothree

BANNED
Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,i was just browsing online and found this forum is so interesting,i can read so many helpful posts here! I hope i can get to know some nice persons here.Wish you good luck every day!

TRENDING THREADS