• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World's in USA

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
the asian said:
Do you reckon Van der Haar and Van der Poel will move to road racing full time in the future. especially Van der Poel coz his father was also a very good road racer and Mathieu himself finished in the top 10 at the Junior Worlds' last year.

Van Der Haar has in interviews expressed his preference for the field, so I think it is unlikely that he would switch to the road. For Van Der Poel it remains to be seen; I hope he can somehow combine road succes and field succes, like his father.

After his first U23 World title, van der Haar said he found road cycling boring. Loved it and just agreed. :D

He's never been great on the road. Mike Theunissen and Gertjan Bosman were always far better than him.

Until last summer when he finally got a stage win in the Tour du Nivernais-Morvan, allowing him to race as a 'stagiaire' for the Rabobank Road Team.

cyclisme-tnm-2012_722214.jpeg

I hope Matt van der Poel will stay in the prairies all his career. I'm rather fed up with the idea that a good crosser should always switch to the road, just because some cycling fans are not interested in cyclocross. Stybar and Boom will never become big stars on the road. I hope Styby will come back. The prairies are his playground. :)

Echoes said:
I'm rather fed up with the idea that a good crosser should always switch to the road, just because some cycling fans are not interested in cyclocross. Stybar and Boom will never become big stars on the road. I hope Styby will come back. The prairies are his playground. :)

Unfortunately, the UCI seems to treat 'cross and mountain biking as development channels for the road show. The UCI are even trying to get a new MTB format that looks like quick-summer 'cross with jumps someone dreamed up into the Olympics right now.

Boom not a big star on the road? One of these days he's going to win Paris-Roubaix. Styby did well on the road in 2012. We both like 'cross more than road, but it's hard to see why they would come back.

The Dutch have returned to super-power status in 'cross with this World's. I'd worry if I were leading the Belgian development program.

For those not in the U.S., most of the enthusiasm for 'cross happens outside of USA Cycling/UCI sanctioning. The biggest 'cross races with a large base of spectators do not have USA Cycling sanctioning.

OK for Boom.

Stybar does well on the road but I think he'd rather be a champion in cyclocross than a second-tier roadie. Probably/Hopefully he'll come back full time in 2 or 3 years when he realizes that he is a better crosser than roadie.

Besides, as I've shown for two seasons, the best crossers are always racing on the road in summer, (and not just 1.2 races).

Chainel has regularly raced a rather complete winter cross season + classics.

I remember that a few years ago, Gadret tried to be a full time roadie, dropping cyclocross, and he quickly came back. Same for Franzoi.

Latest posts