• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Worlds USA

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Tyler, retired from Vuelta to train for Worlds. TJ and Stetina top placers in big stage race in France. Other USA PROs. Did you all sleep through your alarm clock before the World championships?

A

Anonymous

erm.. why is a discussion on americans at the world championships in the pro cylcing section.. dont we have a bermuda triangle for it to go in..

or at least a rumours section.. i didnt even see a single american.. where they there..?

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
It is being discussed here because they don't have a "We suckt" section or maybe we are going to treat the Worlds like the NFL does the Pro Bowl.

i did say we suck prior to the race. we had some guys finish anyway.
timmy duggan among others. he has come back from his bad crash.
also craig lewis and jason mccartney. "to finish first, first you must finish"
hey, our women kicked ssa. :cool:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
You earn your place at the worlds...

9 teams qualified 9 riders for the worlds...there top riders were
Australia 1
Russia 2
Spain 3
Belgium 6
Italy 8
Germany 11
Norway 12
Great Britain 52
USA 59
There are 2 nations here who didn't quite perform...

A

Anonymous

oh it all went wrong for the brits...

dave crashed, meaning russel downing had to pace him back that was russell out..
the dave punctured, another bike change, more work for the rest of the team..
and geraint made it into one of the breakaway groups..

just seen dave brailsfords interview, his thoughts where positive, the team stuck together, rode as a team which for next year with cav having a chance is a positive.. does seem a bit of a plan a goes wrong, no plan b...

dissapointing, but at least we saw a few british jerseys during the race..

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Karl ol' chap I could care less if the UK sent Robbie ****in Williams to the worlds, the US fed is making a mess of things , send a team for god sake. Let our women race the men's race it couldn't have gone any worse.If our girls raced at least we had a chance. South Africa is not the only place that they need to test athletes to confirm their sex. Start in Colorado Springs. I know Dame Edna was scratched from the Aussie line up because Cadel had nothing better to do.

A

Anonymous

dimspace said:
oh it all went wrong for the brits...

dave crashed, meaning russel downing had to pace him back that was russell out..
the dave punctured, another bike change, more work for the rest of the team..
and geraint made it into one of the breakaway groups..

just seen dave brailsfords interview, his thoughts where positive, the team stuck together, rode as a team which for next year with cav having a chance is a positive.. does seem a bit of a plan a goes wrong, no plan b...

dissapointing, but at least we saw a few british jerseys during the race..

Yea, nothing went wrong with the US team, we sent our C riders. (Nothing personal, but lets be honest) When Tom D is considered your best bet, you suck.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't taking a crack at the US riders, but also at the fed for fielding a substandard team, which unless I'm mistaken only included one guy who earned them points and of the 5 he was probably least suited to this course.

Edit:the aussies sent their full 5...I think it was worth it.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
No absolution

You know back in the day, Le Mond, Neal, Mount we really tried. I do not care if they are the C riders including Tyler Farar, they gave it a lasy D effort.
USA pathetic. Good on ya Aussies Congrats.

Is it really the US federation's fault for the team not having the best riders? Did people like Armstrong, Leipheimer, Horner, Hincapie, Vandevelde really want to race but were not picked by the federation? That's absurd. If it's anyones fault it's these riders fault.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Today's result was a of reflection of our top rider's complete indifference to participation. That's pretty much self evident.

DZ would have stood a real chance of the podium in the TT and If Levi, Lance, George, DZ, Christian, Horner and perhaps a few others I have left out were there I guarantee you that the US's best finish would have been better than 52nd.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Yeah shouldn't have blamed the selectors they were given nothing to work with. I hope after the talent that turned up at this worlds there is a little prestige and these riders who opted out will opt in and show some national pride.

Thoughtforfood said:
Yea, nothing went wrong with the US team, we sent our C riders. (Nothing personal, but lets be honest) When Tom D is considered your best bet, you suck.

+100

We have two riders who are suitable for one day races: Hincapie and Horner. Hincapie has the race savvy of a pet rock, and Horner is still recovering from injury. Plus the long long euro season works against us. Riders are anxious to end their seasons early so they can spend time with their families in the states.

A

Anonymous

its the american public, tv networks and the rest.. they just done get it... too used to world championships in football, baseball, hockey being contested by americans..

"a world championships... you mean, theres people from other countries in it too... how does that work...". i guess they figure georgie hincapie is the world champion..

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
its the american public, tv networks and the rest.. they just done get it... too used to world championships in football, baseball, hockey being contested by americans..

"a world championships... you mean, theres people from other countries in it too... how does that work...". i guess they figure georgie hincapie is the world champion..

This little gem is full of fallacies. For one, American cycling fans don't determine which riders participate in worlds. American cycling fans more than understand the difference between the Super Bowl, The World Series and Worlds.

Hockey is more Canadian than American, and the players in NHL are about as international as you can get.

My sense is that your lame attempt at a post was more about grinding an axe than making an actual point, but the sad part is that you pretty much failed in both aspects.

Thoughtforfood said:

Shows how little horsepower USA Cycling really has. Why can't they 'convince' the 'big boys' to go to the Worlds? It seems like it has to be the rider's idea before USACycling will consider them. For some(most) US riders it's about $. Why go and get their **** kicked by national teams that have real programs, real coaches, real wrenches and staff while the USA team goes on a shoestring(busted one at that).

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Isn't the problem that the top riders can't be bothered (we all know who they are). I pity Tyler Farrar b/c the next two years are supposed to be sprinters courses and he's going to be lucky if Horner shows up.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Is it really the US federation's fault for the team not having the best riders? Did people like Armstrong, Leipheimer, Horner, Hincapie, Vandevelde really want to race but were not picked by the federation? That's absurd. If it's anyones fault it's these riders fault.

If LL Baseball said sorry we have no good 11 and 12 year olds to send for the World Series but here are are best group of 7 and 8 year olds the tournament organizers would be ****ed off. Don't send pack fill or a guy who can win if everybody else crashes, the money to suit up and send that team of warm lumps could have been better spent on sending me a card saying sorry for wasting your money here is a case of beer.Don't send boys to do a mans job.

A

Anonymous

Astana1 said:
This little gem is full of fallacies. For one, American cycling fans don't determine which riders participate in worlds. American cycling fans more than understand the difference between the Super Bowl, The World Series and Worlds.

Hockey is more Canadian than American, and the players in NHL are about as international as you can get.

My sense is that your lame attempt at a post was more about grinding an axe than making an actual point, but the sad part is that you pretty much failed in both aspects.

it was actually a lame attempt at a joke based on the superbowl being the "world" american football championship, the world series in baseball, the nba finals being "the world championship", then hocket, etc etc etc...

it was never meant to be making a point, it was, as a post, much like the american cycle team, a joke.. ;)

if you didnt take it so seriously it was actually mildly amusing.. :D