• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wout van Aert

He is gonna win tomorrow, on Saturday in ITT and on Champs on Sunday and people will still grace the ground he walks on and completely believe how fantastic and talented he is. Lol, he's like Merckx in an apparently very clean era and in an incredible competition. Fking joke.

Guess it's time for his own thread.

Top 5 classics rider? Check
Top 5 time trialler? Check
Top 20 sprinter? Check
Top 20 climber at the Tour? Check

Well...

One can't really dope themselves into all that, can they? I mean you can't really take a top sprinter and dope them into a super-dom for the climbing stages, or take a climber and dope them into being a sprinter. At least I've not seen it.

The guy is talented as all get out, as his palmares in road and CX indicate. I'd be stunned if he were clean, but then I'd be stunned if anyone at the sharp end of GT's was clean, and most top classics riders as well. Now, the last 10 years, or the 20 before that. I think things have gone up several degrees this year, but other than that, same as it ever was...

I guess we can say Hulk Hogan in fake wrestling was extremely talented. Similar concept. The point is WVA is doing stuff he has never shown before, and unlike other support riders (e.g. Michał Kwiatkowski at Sky / Ineos) hasn't dropped away in the last kilometers of big climbs in the high mountains.
Okay, he hasn't dropped away at the finale of the big climbs . . . but he did drop Dumoulin once. :laughing:

TRENDING THREADS