• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wouter Weylandt memorial thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
boomcie said:
I have made a sober avatar that I'm going to use for the next month. Anyone who wants to use it too (or another one for that matter), is of course free to do so.

I'll put it up here.
fxtaoz.jpg

Support for this from me

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Vale Wouter. We were lucky to see you race. Some of us had a true appreciation of your abilities and qualities as both a rider and as a human being. For those of us, including me unfortunately, who had little knowledge of you, we can still join with the others and say: thank you.

To his wife and family, friends, colleagues and people he touched, my condolences.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Amazing - and I don't in the least mean that in the good way - to think that just a few hours ago he was at the start, talking and joking with his teammates and friends and such, maybe chatting with his wife on a cell phone, just a normal day in the life of a pro bike rider, and then in the blink of an eye he's gone.

What a terrible incident.

This should bring up questions regarding course safety as well as rider survivor benefits. Do teams usually offer group life insurance?

Many parts of this year's giro are described as dangerous, perhaps that will be altered.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Very, very sad. Lost a great, great rider. Sorry to Leopard-Trek, Boonen, family, etc. Leopard said they'll announce their status in the race by tonight.

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
speaking of family: Sad that his unborn child will grow up without a father... If there's anything we fans could do, I'd be glad to help or contribute.