• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Yannik Noah questions Spain's sporting success.

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Suedehead said:

If you base your perception of a group of people, Spaniards, Jews, Eritreans, et cetera, on a perception index... WOW.

You've drunk the cool-aid my friend.

That's like an public official starting a speech on the role of the printed media with a "I've been reading Teenage Magazine for 20 years and I believe..."

I'm not going to denigrate any index but... wasn't there a northern European country that came # 1 in the happiness index and also # 1 in the number of suicides? Finland perhaps?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Andynonomous said:
German accusations.

Could we have a translation please ?

The article was discussed (or at least posted) in the DelMoral/Marti/Ferrari thread yesterday.
things are going fast here these days, so you have to do some digging.

anyway, they are basically saying the spanish golden generation is a big farce and that the recent developments surrounding spanish doctors should open some eyes.
for instance, as it turns out, Del Moral was on fc barcelona's and fc valencia's payroll.

Athletic Bilbao's doping history is no secret either, and barca and madrid were already linked to Fuentes. So basically, the whole spanish dominance in soccer can be linked to doping.

then the article also points out del moral's connex with tennis, but that's old news by now.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Tyler'sTwin said:
Found this El Mundo article from 2009.

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/2009/11/25/masdeporte/1259142455.html

Google translate says:

Here's a screencap of LGDM's CV that was taken off IMD's site.

jK2G7.png

"Asesor Médico de diversos equipos de Fútbol entre los que destaca el Barcelona CF y el Valencia CF."

"Medical Adviser of various football teams most notably FC Barcelona and Valencia CF."

sniper said:
The German press is all over it. But they're just jealous of course.

The below is from today, one of the biggest German newspapers, Süddeutsche Zeitung, questioning the Spanish Golden Generation of sports.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/sp...iche-hilfe-fuer-die-generation-gold-1.1410286

a snippet of what is very good reading (and long overdue):

TRANSLATION: "the recent developments regarding Armstrong's helpers go well beyond cycling. They concern the whole of Spanish topsports: football, tennis, athletics, cycling. Generation Gold they call it - but there might well be illegal grounds for this remarkable dominance"

sniper said:
yeah, sorry about that. time is not on my side, but basically the article says that all three banned doctors have maintained contacts to members/teams of the propeloton up till very recently if not up till today, so that Pat's mantra that the USADA case is supposedly part of the past is really a non-argument.
And e.g. with guys like Contador (Marti's customer) returning from suspension, the USADA case actually very much concerns the future of cycling.

Re: Ferrari: he's now presumably acting from/practicing in Switzerland.
Re: del Moral: until a few days ago, he was a principal representative of a firm that offers cycling training programs online. After the Usada case broke, his name was removed from the website.
Re: del Moral: the article also provides some details on his involvement in tennis and, new to me, that he was hired by FC Barcelona and FC Valencia in the recent past.

sniper said:
German press calling BS on Pat's argument that the LA vs. USADA case is "part of the past":

http://www.sportschau.de/weitere/radsport/gesperrtearmstronghelfer100.html

Interesting details on Del Moral:

TRENDING THREADS