• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Yellow bikes ridden by the Maillot Jaune rider

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do the current maillot jaune riders get their yellow bikes & kit so dang fast?

Tony Gallopin is on one as I write this but "only" received the maillot jaune yesterday.

Do they paint up special bikes overnight or have them ready, just in case?

Asking as I've always assumed every TDF-level rider has a totally custom-frame built for their measurements and therefore it would be close to impossible to have a just-in-case yellow bike ready for every rider ...

:)

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Afrank said:
Maybe the bike sponsors make them in advance. Just in case.

Not entirely sure how that process works though.

That seems logical, thanks.

It's pretty cool - there have been KOM jersey wearers on polka-dot bikes the next day, too. Hello fast turn-around on paint job (although I guess a few red dots are easier than a totally yellow bike).

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
manafana said:
assume most brands will do up 2or3 tdf edition frames which they can always offload, most the warehouses in mainland europe so overnight it to the race i assume

That's a good point, too. It would be fairly easy to offload those frames later, especially to those that want "Alberto's bike" (or whatever) after the tour has finished.

There are loads of people out there that can afford them, after all.

digitalformula said:
That seems logical, thanks.

It's pretty cool - there have been KOM jersey wearers on polka-dot bikes the next day, too. Hello fast turn-around on paint job (although I guess a few red dots are easier than a totally yellow bike).

They paint the bikes/helmets during the night in team trucks.Special clothing it's usually delivered during rest days or even before if the team expect to get the jersey (ex: Trek/OPQS-when first stage is a prologue)

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
digitalformula said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do the current maillot jaune riders get their yellow bikes & kit so dang fast?

Tony Gallopin is on one as I write this but "only" received the maillot jaune yesterday.

Do they paint up special bikes overnight or have them ready, just in case?

Asking as I've always assumed every TDF-level rider has a totally custom-frame built for their measurements and therefore it would be close to impossible to have a just-in-case yellow bike ready for every rider ...

:)

Ridley painted the bike yesterday and drove it to the race. Not hard for them as they started out as a paint shop