• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Your local weather

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Are any of you fine peoples "sky watchers"? (By that I mean astronomers, not astrologists.)

Weather a bit nippy, rainy and windy out here in my parts, and being I was too lazy to stay up and watch the full gibbous moon the other night I saw it this morning. (Though it may not have been in its full gibbousness.)

Think we're looking for the Andromeda Galaxy tonight, but your ability to see it may very well depend on where you live and your weather. (It's quite cloudy here tonight, as it is actually most of the nights at this time of year.)

CzZ5bxRWQAAiJEZ.jpg:large

Yep, we lost power thanks to the freezing rain, and while it was for barely 24hrs., (and I must admit the trees look kinda pretty all iced over like that), there are still tree branches breaking all over the place because the ice hasn't quite molten/melted yet, and they're taking everything down that comes in their way with them.

(Btw., first thing I did when the power came back on was take a hot shower and wash my hair [I don't wash my hair every single day], but after three days of not washing it my scalp was starting to feel a bit itchy and greezy.)

Next thing I'm doing is my laundry - I want to look somewhat presentable at work come Monday morning... in case the power goes out again.

It's a small winter wonderland here in Eugene this morning (snowing, about 30F) - I feel as giddy as a schoolkid.

School has been cancelled since nobody knows how to drive in snow around here, still have to go to work, though. But as long as I can borrow my dad's Subaru Forester (with the luxurious heated seats :D) I'll be all right.

A thin snow cover has created several days ago, but the highlight of the weekend and coming days are Arctic temperatures ranging from -20°C to -10°C during the warmest part of the day. And the north wind of 20 - 25 kmph is blowing since the minus has begun.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Right now it has been pretty cold in the Upper Puster Valley for over a week.
Today we had -19°C in the morning, but when I went on a short hiking trip at noon we still had -15°C when I left the car and -15 at noon is really cold (it was down in the valley in the woods and not on some isolated mountain).

After the weekend in low daylight plus, we're back in freezer.

This is the trace of last week's minus:
FOTO-POGLEDAJTE-BEOGRAD-I-ZALEDjENI-DUNAV-IZ-PILOTSKE-KABINE-Slikano-sa-visine-od-13-600-metara.jpg

You can notice large ice plugs on the Danube. That's how it looks upstream, as well.
Two icebreakers from Hungary are on their way to make the river navigable again.

Currently snowing, freezing point.

Magnificence! It's a bizarre 54F here today... for the first time in a long time I don't have to wear thermal underwear, I didn't have to blow-dry my hair this morning (it's one of those first world problems - I hate walking around with frozen hair in the winter), and I actually shaved my legs!

I'll enjoy this balmy weather while it lasts, in a couple of days it's supposed to freeze again.

It's going to freeze here overnight, but we've had a lot of rain recently. (Which is good - so far we're on target in terms of annual rainfall, and there's been lots of snow in the mountains. Which is also good.)

Because of all the rain I've been reading up on dams and spillways and such, ran into what some call, um, glory holes. I think they're just the most bizarre and creepy things, this guy actually walked through the Ladybower bell-mouth spillway when the water level was low. Eeeeeeek - gives me the heebie-jeebies! :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmZFV01pNCg

TRENDING THREADS