• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Your local weather

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
29pt2y8.png

009iuioo.jpg

I'm just going to consolidate and put this post (which is also appropriate in the music thread) in this one, if no one minds:

Marilyn Monroe Performing 'Heat Wave'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krl_pXXfKEI

It was about 87F here today (same as yesterday, but I actually rode yesterday), by Saturday it's supposed to be 97. (NOT NORMAL for this area in June.) So what can you do?

Well, you just put on that skimpy sports bra and those skimpy cycling shorts (plus lots of sunscreen, plus lots of hydrating), and you just kinda pretend you know what you're doing on the bike while riding in this kind of heat.

Sunny, 95F, breezy - just got back from my usual 10k.

It really wasn't that bad once you were riding in the shade down by river, but once you got back on the asphalt in the city things felt mighty hot. (At the moment I feel like I've been lobotomized, brain isn't working so good.)

Sunny, 95F... despite the weather I just had to try out my new cycling shorts. The shorts fit fine, but because of the heat the ride sucked.

And just when I lost all will to ride a gentleman with a Celeste green Bianchi passed me, I had re-found my will. (There was no way I could keep up with him, but for just that split second I could admire his fine looking bicycle.)

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
"Parts of Belgium and The Netherlands also sweltered in 35-degree Celsius -- 95 degrees Fahrenheit -- heat Wednesday."

More to come, with the 'queens weather stage' on Saturday expected to surpass the temperatures above.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Such a hot and humid day here in the middle of England, temperatures up to around 36 degrees earlier. I don't mind the heat but can't stand the humidity it's very uncomfortable! Lucky I don't live in London where it went over 43 degrees.

My car was reporting 44 when I got in earlier - although it had been parked there all day. It was 37 a few minutes later when I actually go going. 'kin hot either way.

Re: Re:

TheSpud said:
Pricey_sky said:
Such a hot and humid day here in the middle of England, temperatures up to around 36 degrees earlier. I don't mind the heat but can't stand the humidity it's very uncomfortable! Lucky I don't live in London where it went over 43 degrees.

My car was reporting 44 when I got in earlier - although it had been parked there all day. It was 37 a few minutes later when I actually go going. 'kin hot either way.

I think most weather forecasts really underestimated just how hot the temperatures would be. It was only forecast around 30 where I live buy it was far hotter than that.

I just took my dog for a walk and there a cooler breeze now and it's much more comfortable however it's way too hot to sleep in my house now. Luckily the women's football is on and I don't have work tomorrow.

Wow, sounds like some of you out there are also melting in the heat. But this, too, shall pass - the sooner the better, one would hope.

Sunny, 97F/36C earlier today while I was riding... despite the weather I just had to try out my new water bottle cage. The water bottle cage worked fine (it didn't fall off, or get in the way of pedaling, or anything like that), but because of the heat the ride sucked!

(While I usually don't like to make pit stops of any kind a sip of water here and there during a mere 10k is a most refreshing idea during this weather, I must say.)

Can't wait to see how the big boys will manage their water bottles on Saturday during the Tour ITT, btw., wonder how many water bottles they will haul (and consequently lose) because, well, water (or whatever liquids they are drinking) just weighs too much.

krebs303 said:
Amsterhammer said:
I hate you, krebby.
You are the only reason I post here. :D
Do you miss the pictures? same ol' perfect weather and view

2yosuip.jpg

They are building a new home across the street. Shouldn't block ocean view. may cut down on noise and dust
And there we have it - at last I can poke a hole into krebby's seemingly perfect weather now! Dust, looks like sand off the beach, plus some wind - that would do hell to a bicycle, or at least the chain. (Unless you're terribly diligent and clean and re-lube your bike and chain each and every day.)

Bah, I'm just kidding, krebbs, I'd still prefer your temps over mine. :)

And on that note...

We broke records today in Eugene, Oregon - sunny, 100F, not even I'm insane enough to ride in this. (Can't paint my bike in this shite heat either because the paint would likely turn to crap... guess I'll have to go and wash my car. Or something stupid like that.)

Re:

jmdirt said:
Going on eight days over 100, several near 110. This is why I didn't move to Scottsdale a few years ago...at least there's water here.
Do you have any 4th of July fireworks bans where you live? We just freshly got one (in certain parts of town) because everything is so freaking hot and dry the whole city would probably go up in flames should something go wrong with the fireworks.

Tricycle Rider said:
jmdirt said:
Going on eight days over 100, several near 110. This is why I didn't move to Scottsdale a few years ago...at least there's water here.
Do you have any 4th of July fireworks bans where you live? We just freshly got one (in certain parts of town) because everything is so freaking hot and dry the whole city would probably go up in flames should something go wrong with the fireworks.

Boise and Ada County have had firework restrictions for a long time, but I bet that enforcement will be strict this year. All of the forest areas (state, fed, BLM...) have firework bans. I hope that people use their heads!

TRENDING THREADS