• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Your local weather

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

ferryman said:
No snow (so far) on the Fife riviera of North North Queensferry but it has been cold and rainy and just miserable for months.

Was at the horse racing in Musselburgh today with the old boy and it was FREEZING!

But, it was their annual FREE (usually £20) entry day and I backed a few winners so all good, apart from the frostbite;)

Bit of snow over this way:

IMG_1397_zpsovsqo4ci.jpg

I knew the mid-atlantic was going to pay for the gorgeous weather we had for most of November and December. It looks like the bill is about to come due. 2 inches of snow here causes gridlock and hysteria. Hard to imagine what 2 feet will do. Good luck to anybody else (Jspear, etc) in the path of this behemoth.

Re:

djpbaltimore said:
I knew the mid-atlantic was going to pay for the gorgeous weather we had for most of November and December. It looks like the bill is about to come due. 2 inches of snow here causes gridlock and hysteria. Hard to imagine what 2 feet will do. Good luck to anybody else (Jspear, etc) in the path of this behemoth.

Yeah it is payback time...Blizzard forecast for me. 24"+ and 30-40 mph winds. Should be fun....NOT!

Good luck to all of us in Jonas' path!

Is the snow sticky at all?

If so you could always make a little snowman and take a piccy of it and post it here. (From the sounds of it, though, it sounds like it would be a very big snowman, and there will be lots of snow shoveling going on.)

Good luck, and be safe out there, ya'll who are stuck in the snowstorm!

Good 15" on the ground and only 15 hours left before this thing starts to pull out of here. It's a winter wonderland out there! No point in shoveling now the wind will only blow it all back and there is another 8"+ expected to fall! The great dig out will start tomorrow :).

So far I have power, which means heat, hot food and internet so I'm happy enough!

Re:

Jspear said:
It's hard to tell how much snow there really is because of the drifts....at least a foot and a half would be my guess.

Xc_bcx-chOpM1dzAJYzS_0m5nV7II-bxjyC-nqFn6c3miZrW73_RfugAeodGFxsnpR_bT5qq6_3TBOB3rZBg_KNNBaEvgk4h_GQhQ9qraOVpuBe8J6pLjp9JWk20T9qQJ6C5i1AnFVDe8pPBi5p25BsKX2E9TvAkG2aIU8xU3zpWkLfGeczld8PZpXxJ66SOjLEL_s4Q4XY2mc03GT7rpyMCkY12Cgp49xleV2svE8-_1K42Dc95V0guiIDLVQ4iKQNGDjpVZ6cbS7FwbcWPIq59m6O-QRzGI0a4T_MBcFXB4mgvhb3iPhdvCD9x0wMfPb3dVETBaaS9is-ylApHLn0VQoVEy-NEVPeBuP7CZweTiyCFjheK7JS6hmJoKVTcAHfU93Ajc4XTVD86mj5qkkQA7r0g5NourwuhDtB-n8AZxGH85IVWT_D-fqW-q-vyB4d4yVbIMp2SmOx0pdN-Ia-87Fw3xydgE4NbY0UQRAOifpFw4dkn1mtSEELZiSOGkb3oifmiGoSu5YUGrTQZHxztvGcvZymdxcqf04gYbrwkPzAybliSde2S9m6kXC95e-Bs=w975-h731-no

Official word is 18" with 8 more expected before the darn thing finally leaves. Right now it's wrapping around back over us :(. There are drifts of at least 3 feet in my yard. I hate winter!!!

Re: Re:

Carols said:
Jspear said:
It's hard to tell how much snow there really is because of the drifts....at least a foot and a half would be my guess.

Xc_bcx-chOpM1dzAJYzS_0m5nV7II-bxjyC-nqFn6c3miZrW73_RfugAeodGFxsnpR_bT5qq6_3TBOB3rZBg_KNNBaEvgk4h_GQhQ9qraOVpuBe8J6pLjp9JWk20T9qQJ6C5i1AnFVDe8pPBi5p25BsKX2E9TvAkG2aIU8xU3zpWkLfGeczld8PZpXxJ66SOjLEL_s4Q4XY2mc03GT7rpyMCkY12Cgp49xleV2svE8-_1K42Dc95V0guiIDLVQ4iKQNGDjpVZ6cbS7FwbcWPIq59m6O-QRzGI0a4T_MBcFXB4mgvhb3iPhdvCD9x0wMfPb3dVETBaaS9is-ylApHLn0VQoVEy-NEVPeBuP7CZweTiyCFjheK7JS6hmJoKVTcAHfU93Ajc4XTVD86mj5qkkQA7r0g5NourwuhDtB-n8AZxGH85IVWT_D-fqW-q-vyB4d4yVbIMp2SmOx0pdN-Ia-87Fw3xydgE4NbY0UQRAOifpFw4dkn1mtSEELZiSOGkb3oifmiGoSu5YUGrTQZHxztvGcvZymdxcqf04gYbrwkPzAybliSde2S9m6kXC95e-Bs=w975-h731-no

Official word is 18" with 8 more expected before the darn thing finally leaves. Right now it's wrapping around back over us :(. There are drifts of at least 3 feet in my yard. I hate winter!!!

Definitely more than 18" now...still snowing, wind is sustained 25-30 mph...gusts much higher...yes the drifts are so deep!

Jspear said:
BigMac said:
How bad is it near you two compared to the overall scene? Do you have electricity?

We do have electricity, running water, heat, and internet...the essentials in life. :p

I'm 99% sure most every store around is closed. It's impossible to get out and drive. I'm hoping everyone was smart and stocked up on the important things.

Thanks for making me realize how dumb my question was. :p

''Do you have electricity?''

''No, I'm posting on CN thanks to my hamster-wheel generator.''

Anyway, nice to hear.

BigMac said:
Jspear said:
BigMac said:
How bad is it near you two compared to the overall scene? Do you have electricity?

We do have electricity, running water, heat, and internet...the essentials in life. :p

I'm 99% sure most every store around is closed. It's impossible to get out and drive. I'm hoping everyone was smart and stocked up on the important things.

Thanks for making me realize how dumb my question was. :p

''Do you have electricity?''

''No, I'm posting on CN thanks to my hamster-wheel generator.''

Anyway, nice to hear.

Well, I could be on my phone. :)

If I didn't have electricity, I'd still most likely be on here off and on.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:
Maybe it's too early to ask, plus we have to figure in how much it stretched, but which area is most affected by this storm? DC? NYC? Parts of New England?

Based on snow totals should be more Virginia-DC-Baltimore-Philly-South Jersey than farther north.

I'm in NE Philly and it's on maybe 22 hours straight snowing now.

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I think word was 29 inches at Baltimore Washinton Thurgood Marshall Airport(a few miles south of downtown Baltimore). I am in east Baltimore where it looks like about 2 feet but it is hard to tell with the drifts as the wind was going pretty good. I'll post pictures here in a bit

16%2B-%2B1

I am on a snow emergency route which is why you don't see any cars parked as they could end up getting towed. There were some people however who did park further down and are buried in snow, here are another couple pics.

16%2B-%2B1

16%2B-%2B2

Well the darned blizzard has moved on. Official word is 26" but it sure looks like more because of the drifting. Today will be the great dig out, street still not plowed. Meanwhile I put away the candles, flashlights and unwrapped all the water pipes :). The electric never flickered so I had heat, hot water and food, plus internet throughout; the major essentials of life :). My satellite dish also worked throughout, that is usually the first thing to go, so I even had the TDU! Life is good :).

Weather wasn't too bad today for my first ride in weeks (sunny, about 50F, wind sweeping in from all directions), what did suck was my form. It wasn't just terrible, it was downright embarrassing!

Ah well, after all this hibernating (which I excel at, if I may say so), I suppose this was to be expected.

TRENDING THREADS