• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Your local weather

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

jmdirt said:
The weather sucks, but the forecasting sucks X10! How the H can they be that far off?!

The local weather guy said 'if you plan to get out, morning is your best bet'. Weather.com showed 0-5% chance of rain until 12:00 when it increased from 25-55% throughout the afternoon with possible thunder storms, drying out again around 7:00 PM. The temps were forecast in the 50s all day. The radar didn't show any moisture in the area for at least two hours. OK, easy decision, I headed out at 10:00 for some cool, windy dirt. At about 11:00 I got pounded by one of the craziest hail storms I have ever been in. It lasted 30ish minutes and not only did it soak me and welt me, it also created a 2" flow of water down the trail. I got home, cold, wet, and muddy! About noon the sun came out and its been nice for the last two+ hours. EDIT: It stayed mostly sunny the rest of the day.

Again I ask, how can they get it so wrong? They have millions of dollars worth of equipment (billions if you count satellites) yet they were exactly opposite of what actually occurred. :mad:

Another note, Friday the high was 88 while the high today is forecast for 58. A 30 degree swing is hard on my old systems! :lol:

Re: Re:

jmdirt said:
jmdirt said:
The weather sucks, but the forecasting sucks X10! How the H can they be that far off?!

The local weather guy said 'if you plan to get out, morning is your best bet'. Weather.com showed 0-5% chance of rain until 12:00 when it increased from 25-55% throughout the afternoon with possible thunder storms, drying out again around 7:00 PM. The temps were forecast in the 50s all day. The radar didn't show any moisture in the area for at least two hours. OK, easy decision, I headed out at 10:00 for some cool, windy dirt. At about 11:00 I got pounded by one of the craziest hail storms I have ever been in. It lasted 30ish minutes and not only did it soak me and welt me, it also created a 2" flow of water down the trail. I got home, cold, wet, and muddy! About noon the sun came out and its been nice for the last two+ hours. EDIT: It stayed mostly sunny the rest of the day.

Again I ask, how can they get it so wrong? They have millions of dollars worth of equipment (billions if you count satellites) yet they were exactly opposite of what actually occurred. :mad:

Another note, Friday the high was 88 while the high today is forecast for 58. A 30 degree swing is hard on my old systems! :lol:
Yikes, that sounds like quite the adventure!

Weather forecasts in my area at this time of year usually hover between cloudy, rain, showers, chance of showers - that would be expected. But last week we had a minor two-day heatwave where it was sunny and 80F, it's much too soon for this kind of crap.

We're still about 10 inches below our usual rainfall, have a feeling this will be a long, dry, hot, and miserable summer.

It's a beautiful day in Ensenada!! Today is the car roll out for the 50th anniversary Baja 500... lots of the vehicles are simply awesome!! You can see the live broadcast on Score international racing!! Tomorrow will be the race start.. you can see live coverage on the website

RedheadDane said:
Robert5091 said:
So after the hottest dryest May on record, just in time for holidays to begin, the weather turns autumnal. A good time to sell last minute holidays around the Med!

That autumnal weather doesn't seem to have lasted long, what with all the issues you guys have been having.

Yeah, that was a little joke played on us by the Weather Gods (not to be confused with the Weather Girls ...)

Mid-90s here in western Oregon on and off for the past two weeks - so far we've been lucky, the haze from all the wildfires hasn't hit us too much yet. But it's a-coming...

This heat is ridiculous, it hasn't rained here in weeks! (Ah well, at least the sun and heat are good for the tomato plants, I should have a respectable crop this year. Gotta look at the positives...)

Re:

Koronin said:
It appears Hurricane Florence is headed for us. Landfall is currently expected a bit south of where I live.

You might want to stock up on some scented candles - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ricane-florence-s-threats?srnd=premium-europe
From the livestock industry, one environmental impact from the storm could be from the lagoons, or lined earthen pits, that hold treated manure. They are commonly used to manage swine waste.

The waste is held in lagoons because it’s generally considered a safe way to store the manure before it’s used to aid crops.

More than 10 billion pounds of wet animal waste is produced annually in the state (NC), according to a June 2016 report by the group, which has monitored the impact of past storms. North Carolina is the top U.S. turkey producer, ranks third for chicken and is home to more hogs than any state other than Iowa, government data show.

“This increasingly severe, potentially unprecedented storm is hurdling to the epicenter of animal agriculture in North Carolina,” said Will Hendrick, a staff attorney and manager for a water campaign in the state for the Waterkeeper Alliance. “Because waste is managed using archaic practices, it presents a significant threat to water quality, primarily through run off and/or breach or inundation of hog lagoons.”

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
It appears Hurricane Florence is headed for us. Landfall is currently expected a bit south of where I live.
I take it you've already evacuated?

Keep us (or at least me, though we don't know each other at all) posted!

Not yet. Thursday. We're headed to Charlotte. Charlotte is likely to be impacted, but by the time it gets there it'll be something they've dealt with before and we've been through when we lived there. Had to find a hotel that is pet friendly. We have 3 cats and won't leave them. We still have some stuff to do before we can leave to secure things outside and then pack and make sure we've got everything we specifically need.

Good news on the hurricane front is that it now appears it'll hit at a Cat 3 instead of a Cat 4 (always good news) and hit at low tide instead of high tide. Those two things will cut down on the damage. Hopefully won't have to be gone for too long.

Koronin said:
Not yet. Thursday. We're headed to Charlotte. Charlotte is likely to be impacted, but by the time it gets there it'll be something they've dealt with before and we've been through when we lived there. Had to find a hotel that is pet friendly. We have 3 cats and won't leave them. We still have some stuff to do before we can leave to secure things outside and then pack and make sure we've got everything we specifically need.

Good news on the hurricane front is that it now appears it'll hit at a Cat 3 instead of a Cat 4 (always good news) and hit at low tide instead of high tide. Those two things will cut down on the damage. Hopefully won't have to be gone for too long.
I know some people from a part of South Carolina where alligators and snakes are part of the normal scenery (eeeek!), would hate to think what they will find on their front porch once they return from the evacuation.

Anyhoo, good luck to you all!

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:

I know some people from a part of South Carolina where alligators and snakes are part of the normal scenery (eeeek!), would hate to think what they will find on their front porch once they return from the evacuation.

Anyhoo, good luck to you all!

Thank you. Yeah that would not be nice to come home to. Although I think I'd rather find an alligator on my porch than my house broken into.

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
We evacuated today. We're in Charlotte. Hopefully storm goes through soon and we can get back home soon.
You still got the kitties with you?

The wife and the kids are a given, but do you still have the kitties?

Yep kitties are with us. No way we were leaving them. Actually it's husband and we don't have kids. (Yeah, I'm one of the small number of female sports fans. :) ) Funny enough the two things I brought that weren't needed/neccessary are Valverde's biography (which I need google translate to read), and my autographed picture of him. I wasn't taking any chances leaving those home. Wanted to bring some other things, but not much room when you need to pack cats and really have limited space even with two cars.

Koronin said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
It NEED to Fing STOP raining at the coast so the water can recede and let the flooding stop.

We really need to be able to ship this water to the west coast were it's actually needed.
I take it you still got the husband and the kitties then?

Yes.
Apologies if I'm being obnoxious.

You still got the Vuelta coverage where you are at? (After many heartfelt hellos to each other and to the fans the riders are finally starting to race the last stage now. I think.)

Never mind - the top riders are still taking selfies, but any minute now I'm sure somebody will start racing. (They've got another 80k to go according to my TV reception, so this is understandable.)

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
It NEED to Fing STOP raining at the coast so the water can recede and let the flooding stop.

We really need to be able to ship this water to the west coast were it's actually needed.
I take it you still got the husband and the kitties then?

Yes.
Apologies if I'm being obnoxious.

You still got the Vuelta coverage where you are at? (After many heartfelt hellos to each other and to the fans the riders are finally starting to race the last stage now. I think.)

Never mind - the top riders are still taking selfies, but any minute now I'm sure somebody will start racing. (They've got another 80k to go according to my TV reception, so this is understandable.)

I don't know when NBCSports is showing today's coverage. Yesterday's stage was shown at 1am. I did not stay up for it. I will not watch my boy suffer like he did yesterday. Esp with everything else going on I couldn't handle watching him suffer that badly. After yesterday I don't care at all about today's stage. Will what whatever football game we get and watch the Indy Car race this afternoon.

Koronin said:
I don't know when NBCSports is showing today's coverage. Yesterday's stage was shown at 1am. I did not stay up for it. I will not watch my boy suffer like he did yesterday. Esp with everything else going on I couldn't handle watching him suffer that badly. After yesterday I don't care at all about today's stage. Will what whatever football game we get and watch the Indy Car race this afternoon.
Understood.

(Still 1k to go, something is dangerously close to happening now!)

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
Understood.

(Still 1k to go, something is dangerously close to happening now!)

Some good news, it's stopped raining and much of the flood water that was on many of the roads has receded. There is currently 1 road closure that will prevent us from going home. Once that road is open we should be able to get home. The hope is to go home on Tuesday.

TRENDING THREADS