• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Your local weather

Page 56 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
About 66F here in Eugene right now, the air is completely still, and it's snowing ash from all the wildfires. Normally this would be the sun and I would never try to take a picture of it (much less look directly into it), but... right now the sky has an orangey hue, it's rather eerie. Unfortunately there is no rain in the forecast in the near future.

• Wow
Reactions: jmdirt
Barbeque smell?
Nah, more like a smokey wood stove where the wood is no good. But funny you should mention, I did have a backyard barbecue yesterday, it was just in time before all this had started. I'm glad to have gotten that out of the way because now there is probably a statewide burning ban.

On a side note - I had to drive to an appointment earlier today, saw a bunch of people with their car windows rolled down and not wearing a mask. Stupid people - they'll be coughing up a lung having inhaled all this stuff.

This is an article about the West coast fires:

I was in S-F and elsewhere in California for the first time in my life last December, and it's a bit surreal to see the images and read the statistics.
Yes, it's really bad here in Oregon as well, the wildfires are just raging.
Here in Eugene the sky is no longer orange, but the sun was still a pink grapefruit color this morning and there's lots of smoke in the air. We need some rain very badly.

Glad you got to visit California while it was in a more favorable state.

The smoke was even visible here yesterday and today, 8000-9000 km away...
5f5d0e578fb4b.gif

• Wow
We don't have as many fires as the CA, OR, WA, but all of the smoke has settled into this old lake bed...yuk! (Boise)
Yeah sorry about that, we didn't mean to share. :(

Over a week later the air is still very bad here in Eugene, and once again the store shelves are empty. I'm presuming it's because the grocery store truckers are having a hard time getting through because of all the wildfire road closures, I'm not blaming them at all.

They're saying we might get some rain here come Friday, that would no doubt be a blessing for everyone involved.

Yeah sorry about that, we didn't mean to share. :(

Over a week later the air is still very bad here in Eugene, and once again the store shelves are empty. I'm presuming it's because the grocery store truckers are having a hard time getting through because of all the wildfire road closures, I'm not blaming them at all.

They're saying we might get some rain here come Friday, that would no doubt be a blessing for everyone involved.

I hope you get some rain. Was talking to a social media friend who lives in the LA area and he said either Thursday or Friday northern California is supposed to get some rain. You all really need some. I'd love to send you some of the rain we've had as we don't need more right now.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
I hope you get some rain. Was talking to a social media friend who lives in the LA area and he said either Thursday or Friday northern California is supposed to get some rain. You all really need some. I'd love to send you some of the rain we've had as we don't need more right now.
Wheee, it finally rained here last night and it's raining again this morning. We even got some thunderstorms, they're pretty rare in my area. The air is so much better now, it's so nice to finally be able to open a window.

How is the latest hurricane treating you guys?

Reactions: Koronin
Wheee, it finally rained here last night and it's raining again this morning. We even got some thunderstorms, they're pretty rare in my area. The air is so much better now, it's so nice to finally be able to open a window.

How is the latest hurricane treating you guys?

Glad you got some rain. Hope it helps the firefighters get those fires under control.

The remnants of Sally went through yesterday and today. Just rain, no wind, although some heavy rain. Wish we could have sent this one your way instead though.

Our weather in Ensenada s not surprisingly perfect. Will top out mid 70's cloudless skies and super low humidity.
last night coming through East county San Diego,crossing into Mexico at Tecate and taking Rt.3 to Ensenada..3 or 4 brush fires, high 80's,windy terrible conditions for more fire!!
The news is hard to track down about if the fires were put out yesterday..I hope..

Glad you got some rain. Hope it helps the firefighters get those fires under control.

The remnants of Sally went through yesterday and today. Just rain, no wind, although some heavy rain. Wish we could have sent this one your way instead though.
Yes, hopefully the rain will help the firefighters some. One of the areas that had been obliterated by the fire was a recreational area located on the McKenzie river, I used to drive by it when going fishing. It's sad to think it's no longer there.

Glad Sally didn't cause you further damage, we definitely could have used your rain. We need some kind of a machine for that.

• Sad
Yes, hopefully the rain will help the firefighters some. One of the areas that had been obliterated by the fire was a recreational area located on the McKenzie river, I used to drive by it when going fishing. It's sad to think it's no longer there.

Glad Sally didn't cause you further damage, we definitely could have used your rain. We need some kind of a machine for that.

I've thought about instead of having oil pipelines we need water pipelines to move water from over saturated areas to areas that need water, but don't think that would do much for fires.

Baja and San Diego have the problem of reservoir access..if you have firefighting planes and helicopters,you need safe access to get water..it's an impossible conundrum!!

• Sad
Having seen a little of what the men and women fighting these fires are going through..what they are up against..hero worship deserved by all
My bro is a former firefighter with the Air Force, he was putting out those oil fires in Kuwait during Desert Storm. No matter your politics... you don't sleep a wink while your dear ones are out there doing their firefighting job, you just don't.

Last edited:
Trust me there is zero political about firefighting. I am ex Navy..they give you a 5 minute world overview that predicts everything.
First they let you know that if fire breaks out on the boat,there is nowhere to run,so you either put it out or die.
And to that point,they let you know that whoever it is you think you hate,race,religion,political stripe, check your schit at the door because the guy you may think of as some enemy will be working the hose,pump or nozzle w you to save everyone....racism and other silly setbacks are tough to follow through on when you are dressed in protective gear and masks and helmets..

TRENDING THREADS