• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Zero setback seatpost

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone, I need your advice on bike fitting. I'm looking into buying a zero setback seatpost because my saddle is at his most forward position with my 20mm setback seatpost and my knee seems to be a little behind the center of my pedal so it feels like I lack overall power when I pedal.

I have pretty short leg for my height (5 foot 10 but only about 30 inch inseam) and I suspect my femur is quite short so I would like to know if having my knee completely over the center of my pedal will help me have more power in each stroke ? Or is it more a question of personal preference ? I've read that the pros actually pedal quite far back and their knee is behind the center of the pedal which would make them more powerful, is it true ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Black Dog said:
Having your knee further back will allow you to generate more power but it will slow your cadence down. Moving forward allows you to pedal at a higher cadence and will reduce fatigue.

Is that how it is? I thought you could generate more power in a forward position (like in a TT position) and that being in a more slack position engaged glutes and hams a bit more to reduce overall fatigue and fatigue of the quads in particular. Is this incorrect?

Cheers!

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
NRS_Comp1 said:
Hi everyone, I need your advice on bike fitting. I'm looking into buying a zero setback seatpost because my saddle is at his most forward position with my 20mm setback seatpost and my knee seems to be a little behind the center of my pedal so it feels like I lack overall power when I pedal.

I have pretty short leg for my height (5 foot 10 but only about 30 inch inseam) and I suspect my femur is quite short so I would like to know if having my knee completely over the center of my pedal will help me have more power in each stroke ? Or is it more a question of personal preference ? I've read that the pros actually pedal quite far back and their knee is behind the center of the pedal which would make them more powerful, is it true ?

Cheers!

No one can fit you via the written word. Everyone gets their power in their own best position. There is no better authority than yourself really, try the seatpost out and see how it goes.

Don't worry about where your knee is positioned over the pedal, if you're willing to do the work, you'll find your best position naturally. There is no greater power sucker than thinking you're doing something wrong ! It's the great lie.

NRS_Comp1 said:

Cheers!

KOPS(Knee Over Pedal Spindle) is a small 'c' constant, meaning it's a place to start but not anything etched in stone PLUS, when you ride, you move forward and aft on you saddle changing this value anyway. Comfort and lack of pain is the key. Get a cheap no setback SP and get your KOPS and see but I think it will mean little.

TRENDING THREADS