• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 491 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I wonder if there was ever in the history of this forum such antagonism towards a member just because he supports a cyclist and gives information about him, this army of haters wants to get rid of me at any cost and in a united way, and you will get rid of me, but no that's why because you beat me, I still stand behind everything that was said already,but because I realized that there are a lot more haters and trolls than the normal ones and I have nothing more to look for among such people, thanks to the exceptions, vudy, Salvarani, scribers and 4- 5 people more who are real fans of Pog and look at things realistically and know when I'm screwing up and when I'm not, cheers and good luck to you in this sea of hyenas arou
I wonder if there was ever in the history of this forum such antagonism towards a member just because he supports a cyclist and gives information about him, this army of haters wants to get rid of me at any cost and in a united way, and you will get rid of me, but no that's why because you beat me, I still stand behind everything that was said already,but because I realized that there are a lot more haters and trolls than the normal ones and I have nothing more to look for among such people, thanks to the exceptions, vudy, Salvarani, scribers and 4- 5 people more who are real fans of Pog and look at things realistically and know when I'm screwing up and when I'm not, cheers and good luck to you in this sea of hyenas around you, how sad it is

nd you, how sad it is

Beneath the digital skies of CyclingNews' vast domain,
Mou stands firm, amidst the torrential rain.
"San Milan, a charlatan," he boldly decries,
In a forum where truth often wears a disguise.

Surrounded by hyenas, in a virtual sea,
Mou's allegiance to Pogačar, firm as can be.
Despite the army of haters, their efforts in vain,
His spirit, unbroken, forever shall remain.

To vudy, Salvarani, and scribes few and proud,
He tips his cap, his gratitude loud.
In the realm of trolls and shadows cast wide,
Mou and his champions, forever allied.

In this landscape where critics and followers collide,
Mou's resolve, a beacon that cannot be denied.
Through the sea of discord, his faith a guiding light,
For Pogačar's glory, he continues to fight.

As we are now in the middle of classics season, I look at Pogacar's current ability and it seems like there is no stopping him.

If we look at the all time record for monument victories, the great Eddy Merckx holds the record with 19. Tadej won't break that I don't think but let's have a prediction of how many monuments he'll amass in his career.

For context, the top of the list looks like this:
1. Merckx- 19
2. De Vlaeminck- 11
3. Kelly- 9
3. Girardengo- 9
3. Coppi- 9

Can Tadej crack the top 5?
He's on 5 wins atm.
Honestly, I think he could take Merckx’s record if he avoids injuries/bans etc.

He could literally win 5/6 more each of LBL and GdL, as them races are perfect for him. He is 25 years old. If he turns up in good shape which he invariably does, you wouldn’t bet against him too often in them races. Yes, other riders emerge and Pog could suffer form loss but he seems like he has his eye now on the prize of being the GOAT.

I think Merckx won 7 MSR’s so it’s not that outlandish for Pog to get close to Merckx’s record with repeated wins in one or two of the same monument.

You are the cyclingnews poet laureate!

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan

Salvarini is from Sweden though, so I'm not sure how mou actually feels about him.

Honestly, I think he could take Merckx’s record if he avoids injuries/bans etc.

He could literally win 5/6 more each of LBL and GdL, as them races are perfect for him. He is 25 years old. If he turns up in good shape which he invariably does, you wouldn’t bet against him too often in them races. Yes, other riders emerge and Pog could suffer form loss but he seems like he has his eye now on the prize of being the GOAT.

I think Merckx won 7 MSR’s so it’s not that outlandish for Pog to get close to Merckx’s record with repeated wins in one or two of the same monument.

I would be very surprised if he got near Merckx. As unbeatable as he appears at present in races like LBL and GdL - history tells us continuing this dominance for another 8 years or so which is what realistically would need to happen is highly unlikely -

We don't know what he'll want to do in future, whether anything will happen which may curtail or hamper those efforts, he has already had 4 (going into 5 exceptional seasons) - Merckx was pro for a total of 13 seasons in which he won monuments in11 started and bookended by wins in MSR. History suggests that setting aside a possibility another competitor comes along it is also difficult to maintain that level of dominance.

I think de Vlaemick's 2nd place is more realistic - as you say he should at least in principle notch up a couple more LBLs/GdL based upon recent history will have shots at winning more RVV - will be there or thereabouts at MSR and will probably go for Roubaix sometime, albeit I think that is by far the most difficult for him.

Merckx won 11 grand tours, including 5 TdFs. But in Jonas Vingegaard, Pogi has hit a TdF roadblock. I don’t think it’s fair to mention. But certainly in the modern era we have not seen a more versatile rider than Pogacar. It is enjoyable to witness as it unfolds. But first things first - the Giro d’Italia.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
these Danes are a problem, cold, calculated, I really wonder who the fisherman is like, otherwise I have nothing against Scandinavians, but you are more for an opera than a bicycle race

Imagine having to live among nearly 6 million of them every day, and you'll understand the constant pain I'm in. It's no wonder I've become a cold and calculating opera fanatic.

Imagine having to live among nearly 6 million of them every day, and you'll understand the constant pain I'm in. It's no wonder I've become a cold and calculating opera fanatic.

I didn't know opera was known for it's cold and calculatedness.
Isn't it mostly people singing about how their lover is being sent to war, and now they must marry a rich noble?

Besides; you're one of us!

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan
Merckx won 11 grand tours, including 5 TdFs. But in Jonas Vingegaard, Pogi has hit a TdF roadblock. I don’t think it’s fair to mention. But certainly in the modern era we have not seen a more versatile rider than Pogacar. It is enjoyable to witness as it unfolds. But first things first - the Giro d’Italia.
We’ve moved onto to operatic romanticism here. Jonas is not a roadblock but a villainous foil, from which pogi will prevail triumphantly. And the French shall rejoice as pogi has risen from the ashes!