• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

¡Adiós!

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
chiocciolis_calves said:
LiquidCrystalDynamic said:
Pozzato hangs up the bike.

https://www.wielerkrant.be/nl/nieuws/lees/2018-12-18/afscheid-van-een-van-de-meest-flamboyante-renners-van-het-peloton-pippo-hangt-zijn-fiets-aan-de-haak

He will be missed, if not on the results pages then on the roadside and in the hearts of fans.

As noted many times, he looked like a million bucks pedaling a bicycle.
You're absolutely right. Purely based on style, Pozzato was my favourite along with Andreas Klöden and Frank Vandenbroucke. Not that many super stylish guys left. Valverde looks good, but not as smooth as the aforementioned. Luis Leon Sanchez and Bob Jungels aren't too bad either.

Squire said:
chiocciolis_calves said:

https://www.wielerkrant.be/nl/nieuws/lees/2018-12-18/afscheid-van-een-van-de-meest-flamboyante-renners-van-het-peloton-pippo-hangt-zijn-fiets-aan-de-haak

He will be missed, if not on the results pages then on the roadside and in the hearts of fans.

You're absolutely right. Purely based on style, Pozzato was my favourite along with Andreas Klöden and Frank Vandenbroucke. Not that many super stylish guys left. Valverde looks good, but not as smooth as the aforementioned. Luis Leon Sanchez and Bob Jungels aren't too bad either.

That's why you'd want Nils Pollitt to start winning more. That guy looks so great on his bike.

Squire said:
chiocciolis_calves said:

Alessandro Ballan always looked good, perfect form, especially in the drops.

It's settled! From next year Valverde will be the oldest* rider on the WT.
After Roy Curvers announced his upcoming retirement earlier this year, Lars Bak announced his today. Can't say I'm too surprised; Lars hasn't exactly had a stellar season and - perhaps just as importantly - neither have the guys he was supposed to work for.

*Assuming Rebellin doesn't land himself a new WT contract.

Never say never with Rebellin!
The way he rode at Slovenia he actually might be a useful addition for one last year back at CCC or at UAE, teaching Pogacar. Now that I think of it, Saronni should probably really sign him up as a mentor for the teams countless talents! :D

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Or Gustavo César Veloso, Stijn Devolder, Rubén Plaza, Svein Tuft, Luís Felipe Laverde, Paco Mancebo, Rinaldo Nocentini, Sergio Paulinho, Radoslav Rogina, José Serpa or Óscar Sevilla.

All of whom are still racing on teams at a decent level; the first four are on ProContinental teams even.

Re: Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
RedheadDane said:
Or Gustavo César Veloso, Stijn Devolder, Rubén Plaza, Svein Tuft, Luís Felipe Laverde, Paco Mancebo, Rinaldo Nocentini, Sergio Paulinho, Radoslav Rogina, José Serpa or Óscar Sevilla.

All of whom are still racing on teams at a decent level; the first four are on ProContinental teams even.
That 2nd one ain't even so far fetched if Corendon-Circus-Alpecin-Canyon becomes a thing. I don't see them leaving him out.

Slovenian from team Katusha, Simon Spilak, is also retiring at age 33. Even though he was in talk with Bahrain Merida he called and end to his pro career.

Spilak climbing on a world class level in horrible weather was always one of the highlights of the spring for me. I remember him staying with Froome and beating him in a sprint in Romandie on the mountain stages in 2013/2014, when Froome put a minute into every other contender on those stages. His gc wins in the Tour de Swiss were also pretty good, him dropping everyone else on the Tiefenbachferner was a great performance.
I kinda regret the fact that I've never opened a Thread for him, in this day and age every flavour of the month seems to get his own.
An interesting fact about him: as a neopro he was actually really good on the cobbles, he finished 9th in the RVV at the age of 21, in his first Monument. Before that he had finished 5th on the gc in De Panne, ahead of his team captain Ballan.
I will miss him, even if he was already past his prime.