• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

100th Ronde Van Vlaanderen - April 3rd, 2016 - 255.9k

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

The new King of Flanders will come from what team?

• Another team

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Etixx

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Lotto Soudal

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Trek

Votes: 45 32.1%
  • Sky

Votes: 15 10.7%
  • Tinkoff

Votes: 30 21.4%
  • LottoNL

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • BMC

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Katusha

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Astana

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I have the strange feeling that Cancellara won't be able to win the Ronde, I trust my gut feeling, so if someone is interested in an Avatar bet, please let me know. :)

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
I honestly think Kwiat is overrated. He didnt look really good on the Kwaremont and only was good on paterberg because he could ride on the side of the cobbles.

Hmm, I think he'll podium at least. Inspired by Mayomaniac, how about an avatar bet?

*****Cancellara, Sagan
****Kristoff, Vanmarcke, Kwiatkowski
***Stybar, Thomas, Boonen, Van Avermaet
**Terpstra, Stannard, Stuyven, Devolder
*Pozzato, Benoot, Vandenbergh, Boasson Hagen

I don't put GVA among the top favorites, because I think he peaked too early. Ettix doesn't have a top individual, but they will rely on their experience. For Cancellara this might be his best team yet in the Ronde, but other teams will target him. Kristoff isn't the strongest, but as long as he's less than a minute behind the other favorites he's dangerous.

Cannibal72 said:
Gigs_98 said:
I honestly think Kwiat is overrated. He didnt look really good on the Kwaremont and only was good on paterberg because he could ride on the side of the cobbles.

Hmm, I think he'll podium at least. Inspired by Mayomaniac, how about an avatar bet?

Highly doubt he will podium.I expect him to be up there, but if he has chance for victory, he will try 2-3 km attack on the flat instead of going for sprint so he might lose energy and end up losing sprint.

I don't agree with him being overrated though. I think the only guys that can ride away from him on cobbled climbs are Sagan and Cancellara

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
damian13ster said:
Cannibal72 said:
Gigs_98 said:

Highly doubt he will podium.I expect him to be up there, but if he has chance for victory, he will try 2-3 km attack on the flat instead of going for sprint so he might lose energy and end up losing sprint.

I don't agree with him being overrated though. I think the only guys that can ride away from him on cobbled climbs are Sagan and Cancellara

I can quite easily see a selection of Sagan, Cance, Kwiat, and Vanmarcke being formed, where Sepp would inevitably puncture and the other three come to the line together. I think GVA peaked too soon (see the omloop stats), and Kristoff's off form; of course Benoot, EQS and so on could make it, but I like Kwiat's chances.

Re: Re:

liamito said:
Billie said:
Mayomaniac said:
The weather should be nice, so Pippo Pozzato could actually do well.

It's expected to be upto 17°C so weather is as good as it'll get for him. With Beletti and Fedi back to help him he should be a good bet to show something :cool:

They are both out injured I guess.

okay just read it that sucks. Yesterday was first time there were guys finishing around him.

Fedi isn't certain yet, they are trying to improve his condition until Sunday. Belletti suffered a concussion, so I guess that's a definite out.

Also Zhupa broke his collarbone yesterday, maybe we got to see Mareczko at the beginning, getting dropped at the first hellingen. :p

To those that think Kwiat is a top favourite for this, please re-watch him up the Kwaremont in E3. He just didn't look all that comfortable, and a fresh Canc who hasnt had to close a two minute gap to the leaders is not gonna soft pedal up there on Sunday.

Kwiat's attack came on a tarmac climb. Yes he was fresh enough to attack there with intensity that only Sagan could follow, but that's not the point. The point is you need to make the selection on the cobbled climbs. He could attack a bit earlier a la GVA 2014 and hope to be let go, but I don't see any other way he's a contender to win

I wrote off his chances before E3 as well, but I just don't think he's good enough right now on the cobbles. In the ardennes? That's a completely different story

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91bJFlRatwM

Watch from 1:15:45. When Sagan attacks, look at the gap between the first six and Kwiat, the first sky rider is stannard

Like seriously? Kwiat above GVA?

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
I have the strange feeling that Cancellara won't be able to win the Ronde, I trust my gut feeling, so if someone is interested in an Avatar bet, please let me know. :)

You're on! :p

Cancellara will win RVV. Do you have a certain rider in mind for the win? Or are you just betting on Cancellara losing? Either way I'll take the avatar bet. Loser has avatar of the winners choosing till the Giro?

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
1. Cancellara
2. Sagan
3. GVA

Those 3 will get away from the pack. Spartacus will attack with about 1km to go. GVA, as a true wheelsucker, will be waiting for Sagan to close the gap but Sagan will refuse to drag GVA to the finish line and therefore, Fabian will win alone. Peto will then finally outsprint GVA for 2nd.

Just for kicks, I'd love to see a team with next to no hope of winning De Ronde put all their resources behind a workhorse domestique who, for years and years, toiled at the front for 100km's to bring back a break.
I'm thinking Svein Tuft from Orica Greenedge.
He's got the legs to power over the short bergs. He reminds me of Cancellara. Only he's a domestique.
Svein for the win.
It's in the cards. Plus it would make a great addition to their backstage pass thingies. I mean no disrespect by saying I think OR should put everything they have to make Svein a winner of De Ronde.

Re:

del1962 said:
Has G's lack of cobbled races this year meant that he is not got a chance?

If by G you mean Geraint Thomas i think he's one of the top five strongest riders, but he has no weapon to finish it. He can't sprint, so he would have to arrive solo. That leaves the question how he can drop Cancellara and co. I think his only chance is if he gets away before the Kwaremont and others think it's too early and start watching each other.

By the way, what do you call the spot where you can find Geraint Thomas? :p

Re:

Jancouver said:
1. Cancellara
2. Sagan
3. GVA

Those 3 will get away from the pack. Spartacus will attack with about 1km to go. GVA, as a true wheelsucker, will be waiting for Sagan to close the gap but Sagan will refuse to drag GVA to the finish line and therefore, Fabian will win alone. Peto will then finally outsprint GVA for 2nd.
Poor GVA :( . Beeing called true wheelsucker after all those years.
It is funny that probably only possibility for Sagan to win this race is wheelsuck Cance but he will never do that. :). After he will be called idiot with no brain and racing instinct.

Re:

Ricco' said:
Fedi isn't certain yet, they are trying to improve his condition until Sunday. Belletti suffered a concussion, so I guess that's a definite out.

Also Zhupa broke his collarbone yesterday, maybe we got to see Mareczko at the beginning, getting dropped at the first hellingen. :p

They should have signed a guy like Leukemans, just like they did with Hulsmans a few years back. But probably the team budget is even lower now. :eek:

the delgados said:
Just for kicks, I'd love to see a team with next to no hope of winning De Ronde put all their resources behind a workhorse domestique who, for years and years, toiled at the front for 100km's to bring back a break.
I'm thinking Svein Tuft from Orica Greenedge.
He's got the legs to power over the short bergs. He reminds me of Cancellara. Only he's a domestique.
Svein for the win.
It's in the cards. Plus it would make a great addition to their backstage pass thingies. I mean no disrespect by saying I think OR should put everything they have to make Svein a winner of De Ronde.
Svein Tuft? That's a pretty random suggestion. I like it though :D Tuft vs Kuznetsov... I can see it happening!

Vanmarcke are the only guys who can hurt Sagan and Cancellara on the cobbled climbs. Just look at the 2014 Paterberg ascend where Vanmarcke almost got rid of Cancellara. Same for GvA if you watch the 2015 race on the Paterberg.

So to say something bold: GvA and Vanmarcke will power up the last Paterberg and sprint for the win. Cancellara and Sagan 3rd and 4th :)

Re:

pedromiguelmartins said:
Sagan to win solo after dropping Fabian on the Patenberg

like in 2013 when Sagan was in best form of his life. :D
aaaa wait It was Fabian dropping him like bad habit.

Anyway it my best dream I often see Cance persuing Sagan on the flat after Paterberg and loosing it by photofinish. Sagan beeing kissed by Maja and Fabian pinching her from second place.

Re:

del1962 said:
Has G's lack of cobbled races this year meant that he is not got a chance?
I think he's got no chance. He never lasted the distance in RVV even when really focusing on the race, so I don't see how that would change now he's lost weight and tried to turn himself into a climber.

Surely after E3, Sky have to back Kwiatkowski as their number one horse; Thomas could certainly be a useful domestique for him.

DonEsteban said:
pedromiguelmartins said:
I can image Sagan dropping Fabian on Patenberg, but Fabian should be able to catch him on the flat ... only to be outsprinted by Sagan at the end. :)
I think this scenario is very realistic as well, though I would slighlty favour Cancellara in the sprint. Canc will probably make him work hard until the line if it's just the two of them, and Sagan needs some kind of recovery to be able to hit anything close to decent sprint power.

May 26, 2015
Visit site

SKSemtex said:
pedromiguelmartins said:

Anyway it my best dream I often see Cance persuing Sagan on the flat after Paterberg and loosing it by photofinish. Sagan beeing kissed by Maja and Fabian pinching her from second place.

Peter is on the form of his life, right now. Since the Milan San Remo he has been always stronger than Fabian.

Just watch the highlights of GW, where Fabian made of his puny attacks on a muur and Sagan put the pain on him.

In fact, prepare to see Fabian dropped on the kwaremont.

Avatar bet? If Fabian finishes above Peter, I should use a Stybar avatar, otherwise you use it. Injury and falls are also just excuses of lesser men.

pedromiguelmartins said:
SKSemtex said:
pedromiguelmartins said:

Peter is on the form of his life, right now. Since the Milan San Remo he has been always stronger than Fabian.

Just watch the highlights of GW, where Fabian made of his puny attacks on a muur and Sagan put the pain on him.

In fact, prepare to see Fabian dropped on the kwaremont.

Avatar bet? If Fabian finishes above Peter, I should use a Stybar avatar, otherwise you use it. Injury and falls are also just excuses of lesser men.

He is not stronger, Fabian is weaker
EDIT: I wil never ever bet agaist him :)

TRENDING THREADS