• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

100th Ronde Van Vlaanderen - April 3rd, 2016 - 255.9k

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

The new King of Flanders will come from what team?

  • Another team

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Etixx

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Lotto Soudal

    Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Trek

    Votes: 45 32.1%
  • Sky

    Votes: 15 10.7%
  • Tinkoff

    Votes: 30 21.4%
  • LottoNL

    Votes: 7 5.0%
  • BMC

    Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Katusha

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Astana

    Votes: 2 1.4%

  • Total voters
    140
  • Poll closed .
I think Etixx should backing one man in Flanders and next week in Roubaix. In my opinion Terpstra is by far the strongest of them all, followed by Trentin. I think that Terpstra has more change next week in Roubaix, maybe they should go for Trentin. Styby is not strong enough, I don't see how Boonen will improve this last week since what we've seen in the races before.

5* Sagan, Cancellara
4* Vanmarcke, GVA
3* Kwiat, Terpstra, Benoot
2* Trentin, Boonen, Styby
1* Kristoff, Demare
 
Vesica said:
I think Etixx should backing one man in Flanders and next week in Roubaix. In my opinion Terpstra is by far the strongest of them all, followed by Trentin. I think that Terpstra has more change next week in Roubaix, maybe they should go for Trentin. Styby is not strong enough, I don't see how Boonen will improve this last week since what we've seen in the races before.

5* Sagan, Cancellara
4* Vanmarcke, GVA
3* Kwiat, Terpstra, Benoot
2* Trentin, Boonen, Styby
1* Kristoff, Demare

I think it's extremely unlikely that anyone other than one of the top favourites will take this:

***** Cancellara, Sagan
*** Kwiatkowski
** Kristoff
* Stybar, GVA, Vanmarcke

Don't think anyone else really has a chance, unless several of the favourites are wiped out by a crash or bad luck. Someone like Benoot, Terpstra or Stannard have a small chance of being in the lead group towards the end - but can't see how they would win from it.
 
Re:

Arredondo said:
The problem with Eddy is: fine when it's a 1.1 or 1.HC race. But when it's WT, and especially a big classic, the level is too high for him to really fight for the win.

Same story for Flanders next sunday.

I dunno. Apart from the setback of a slight illness a couple of weeks ago his form this season has been better than for a long time. Obviously he's not as strong as Canc or Sagan but if those two don't get away alone then he has a great chance with a late solo attack or winning a reduced sprint (so long as Kristoff isn't there too).
 
Kwibus said:
Really bad weather forecast.... For us spectators ;)

Looking to be above 20 celsius for the first time this year.
Nah, I am fine with it as long as we get rainy Roubaix ;)

If it's good weather this Sunday, I hope there is some sunshine at least. The pictures would be nicer.
 
Feb 6, 2016
1,213
0
0
Visit site
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
To those that think Kwiat is a top favourite for this, please re-watch him up the Kwaremont in E3. He just didn't look all that comfortable, and a fresh Canc who hasnt had to close a two minute gap to the leaders is not gonna soft pedal up there on Sunday.

Kwiat's attack came on a tarmac climb. Yes he was fresh enough to attack there with intensity that only Sagan could follow, but that's not the point. The point is you need to make the selection on the cobbled climbs. He could attack a bit earlier a la GVA 2014 and hope to be let go, but I don't see any other way he's a contender to win

I wrote off his chances before E3 as well, but I just don't think he's good enough right now on the cobbles. In the ardennes? That's a completely different story

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91bJFlRatwM

Watch from 1:15:45. When Sagan attacks, look at the gap between the first six and Kwiat, the first sky rider is stannard

Like seriously? Kwiat above GVA?

Easily; there's a very, very good reason no Omloop winner has ever won De Ronde.
 
I find it rather interesting that Thomas-Rowe-Stannard-Kwia are receiving more votes than Stybar-Terpstra-Boonen-Trentin. Not that it's a crazy notion, but I find it curious.

I also wonder who those "another team" votes are predicting. EBH? Démare? Pippo? Or maybe they're just generic "field" votes.
 
Re: Re:

ferryman said:
rick james said:
Would love a Anglo Saxon to do it....but i can't see that happening...i will go for a EBH
Why? Or are you just being an idiot without knowledge of cycling, history or geography. You won't be shouting for Thomas or Rowe then on Sunday...

He could still be supporting Stannard, Thwaites and Blythe, maybe not Fenn or McNally but possibly Phinney, Farrar, Thomson, Sergent, Bewley, Docker, Durbridge, Archbold, Dempster, and Anderson,
 
Re:

jaylew said:
I find it rather interesting that Thomas-Rowe-Stannard-Kwia are receiving more votes than Stybar-Terpstra-Boonen-Trentin. Not that it's a crazy notion, but I find it curious.

I also wonder who those "another team" votes are predicting. EBH? Démare? Pippo? Or maybe they're just generic "field" votes.

The Team Sky line up is rock solid and worthy (IMHO) of it's position.

Boonen will not be a contender in this race and the recent form, results and / or tactics from Steppers makes it easy for me to consider others who will feature at the pointy end of De Ronde...too many chiefs, not enough indians.
 
Re: Re:

JackRabbitSlims said:
jaylew said:
I find it rather interesting that Thomas-Rowe-Stannard-Kwia are receiving more votes than Stybar-Terpstra-Boonen-Trentin. Not that it's a crazy notion, but I find it curious.

I also wonder who those "another team" votes are predicting. EBH? Démare? Pippo? Or maybe they're just generic "field" votes.

The Team Sky line up is rock solid and worthy (IMHO) of it's position.

Boonen will not be a contender in this race and the recent form, results and / or tactics from Steppers makes it easy for me to consider others who will feature at the pointy end of De Ronde...too many chiefs, not enough indians.


Agree about Boonen, has no form
 
Vesica said:
I think Etixx should backing one man in Flanders and next week in Roubaix. In my opinion Terpstra is by far the strongest of them all, followed by Trentin. I think that Terpstra has more change next week in Roubaix, maybe they should go for Trentin. Styby is not strong enough, I don't see how Boonen will improve this last week since what we've seen in the races before.

5* Sagan, Cancellara
4* Vanmarcke, GVA
3* Kwiat, Terpstra, Benoot
2* Trentin, Boonen, Styby
1* Kristoff, Demare
I disagree. Stybar has been the stronger of the Etixx guys in my view - it's just that none of them has been particularly strong individually. Which is nothing new.
 
Kwibus said:
Really bad weather forecast.... For us spectators ;)

Looking to be above 20 celsius for the first time this year.

Curious to see how riders bodie's will react at this, they' aren't used to ride in this temperature. We might see some riders having cramps because of not drinking enough, might give surprises?
 
Vesica said:
I think Etixx should backing one man in Flanders and next week in Roubaix. In my opinion Terpstra is by far the strongest of them all, followed by Trentin. I think that Terpstra has more change next week in Roubaix, maybe they should go for Trentin. Styby is not strong enough, I don't see how Boonen will improve this last week since what we've seen in the races before.

5* Sagan, Cancellara
4* Vanmarcke, GVA
3* Kwiat, Terpstra, Benoot
2* Trentin, Boonen, Styby
1* Kristoff, Demare

It seems they're going for Stybar this weekend and Terpstra and Boonen for next week.

Trentin might be the dark horse if he can anticipate....
 
There are a lot of riders that need to anticipate the expected Cance/Sagan attack on the final Kwaremont. I wonder how many will do so.
I'm usually surprised by how many 2nd tier riders wait until they get dropped.
Last year Terpstra anticipated as well though and Roelandts did it as well a few years ago which gave him a nice podium finish.
 

TRENDING THREADS