• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

100th Ronde Van Vlaanderen - April 3rd, 2016 - 255.9k

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

The new King of Flanders will come from what team?

• Another team

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Etixx

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Lotto Soudal

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Trek

Votes: 45 32.1%
  • Sky

Votes: 15 10.7%
  • Tinkoff

Votes: 30 21.4%
  • LottoNL

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • BMC

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Katusha

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Astana

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re:

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Whoever brought up Svein Tuft - that's the one. No one will beat Tuft here.

Is there any reason why Matthews has never attempted RVV? I think he finished 2nd in the junior version and he seems to have the skills that, with a bit of experience on the cobbles, he could be a serious threat.

He seems to be more keen on the Ardennes - but I'm not sure why he can't try to do the cobbled classics as well. It seems like Orica are trying to turn him into the next Gerrans - but he's got so much more potential - he should be mixing it with the likes of Sagan and Kwiatkowski.

Kwibus said:
There are a lot of riders that need to anticipate the expected Cance/Sagan attack on the final Kwaremont. I wonder how many will do so.
I'm usually surprised by how many 2nd tier riders wait until they get dropped.
Last year Terpstra anticipated as well though and Roelandts did it as well a few years ago which gave him a nice podium finish.

Indeed, everyon always says "I have to anticipate" and what happens they keep on riding in the bunch. Roelandts move was real nice a few years ago... I see Bennoot doing such a move this year

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Whoever brought up Svein Tuft - that's the one. No one will beat Tuft here.

Is there any reason why Matthews has never attempted RVV? I think he finished 2nd in the junior version and he seems to have the skills that, with a bit of experience on the cobbles, he could be a serious threat.

He seems to be more keen on the Ardennes - but I'm not sure why he can't try to do the cobbled classics as well. It seems like Orica are trying to turn him into the next Gerrans - but he's got so much more potential - he should be mixing it with the likes of Sagan and Kwiatkowski.
I definitely agree. I think he's really build for RVV - potentially even PR as well. That said, AGR and MSR also suit him really well and these seem to be his major goals this year (last year as well), and you probably want to be a bit lighter to compete for AGR, although Kwiatkowski seems to be able to handle both well (let's see about RVV this year, but he did well in '13 was it?). Hopefully Matthews will focus on RVV at some point though.

Re:

Flamin said:
Not expecting much else than one explosion on Kwaremont. Weather is great, Canc has a very decent team,.. Etixx and Sky could potentially make this a good race but I don't see it happening.

I hope Canc wins and takes the record.

Then again last year has proven that attacking before the Kwaremont can succeed. Also Etixx should be fully aware they won't be able to follow Cance and Sagan on the final 2 ascents. So they really need to anticipate and I think they will do so. This time not with Trentin or VDB2, but more likely with one of their best 3.
LottoBE will also likely anticipate, but Sky does have Kwiat who might be able to follow that explosion, allthough I'm not sure he will.

Well let me narrow it down a bit. If nobody from the 2nd tier riders will anticipate I'm going to go mental behind the tele.

Bushman said:
burning said:
Sagan will win this bike race.

I mean, Juraj.

Seriously, Sagan's team is really bad, I wonder why Tosatto and Bennati are not in the startlist

Benatti was injured in a crash earlier in the year, fractured vertebrae I think

And Tosatto is one of the most loyal domestics of Contador.

Sagan impressed me last week in the Kemmelberg. He ended up climbing the "côte" so strongly. He has been waiting for on Vanmarcke. He is almost always in front but he has serious problems to "score a goal". After last year dissapointing classics season, it looks like he is keen to show that he is the future of Flanders for "their" classics. Althought he get out of the podium, I think he did a very good performance in Gent-Wevelgem.

Bushman said:
burning said:
Sagan will win this bike race.

I mean, Juraj.

Seriously, Sagan's team is really bad, I wonder why Tosatto and Bennati are not in the startlist

Benatti was injured in a crash earlier in the year, fractured vertebrae I think

And Tosatto is one of the most loyal domestics of Contador.

Sagan impressed me last week in the Kemmelberg. He ended up climbing the "côte" so strongly. He has been waiting for so long to win a "monument" and I think this Tour of Flanders is a unique opportunity for him.

But Cancellara is also in the bussiness... and I'm pretty sure he is thinking of a way to take Sagan out of control. Not only on the road, but also psychologically.

It would be intereresting to put an eye on Vanmarcke. He is almost always in front but he has serious problems to "score a goal". After last year dissapointing classics season, it looks like he is keen to show that he is the future of Flanders for "their" classics. Althought he get out of the podium, I think he did a very good performance in Gent-Wevelgem.

I see there are opinions about anticipating and making the race.
I've always perceived De Ronde as a race to be made.
Anticipating and waiting has brought far less success in the past than the initiative.
My concern about the Sunday is that never stronger Trek could lock the race for Cancellara's attack and kill the whole excitement.
I'm sure everybody are aware of that, and that they'll try to make the race.

Re:

sir fly said:
Anticipating and waiting has brought far less success in the past than the initiative.
My concern about the Sunday is that never stronger Trek could lock the race for Cancellara's attack and kill the whole excitement.

Anticipating is taking initiative.
Anticipating is making sure you are ahead of the cannons like Cancellara and Sagan when they go all out the last time on the Kwaremont and Paterberg.
Like Kuznetsov did in G-W. If you are on a good day they even might have a problem taking you back. Afterall Terpstra and Kristoff attacked before the Kwaremont and they were never seen again. Both maybe didn't have the punch to stay with GVA/Sagan on the Pater, but because they anticipated(took initiative) they didn't have to respond to the powersurge on the final Pater.

Kwibus said:
sir fly said:

Anticipating is taking initiative.
Anticipating is making sure you are ahead of the cannons like Cancellara and Sagan when they go all out the last time on the Kwaremont and Paterberg.
Like Kuznetsov did in G-W. If you are on a good day they even might have a problem taking you back. Afterall Terpstra and Kristoff attacked before the Kwaremont and they were never seen again. Both maybe didn't have the punch to stay with GVA/Sagan on the Pater, but because they anticipated(took initiative) they didn't have to respond to the powersurge on the final Pater.
Well, I won't argue with that interpretation, but for me - anticipating is more waiting than making.
Anticipating implies one have idea(s) about development, while making is creation in progress.

Re:

Tornado Tom said:
Etixx will not win with Tepstra, Boonen or Stybar vs Cancellara/Sagan/Van Avermaet
I see Vandenbergh with an early attack

Oh man, aside from GVA, I'd love to see Vandenbergh win De Ronde.
He personifies the term workhorse, both figuratively and literally (in a figurative sense). Guy is huge, and it breaks my heart to see the guy tow others to the line without a winning result.
Vandenbergh for De Ronde.