• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

100th Ronde Van Vlaanderen - April 3rd, 2016 - 255.9k

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

The new King of Flanders will come from what team?

• Another team

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Etixx

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Lotto Soudal

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Trek

Votes: 45 32.1%
  • Sky

Votes: 15 10.7%
  • Tinkoff

Votes: 30 21.4%
  • LottoNL

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • BMC

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Katusha

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Astana

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Re:

Orbit501 said:
benzwire said:
Paris-Roubaix is going to be a good one! Can't wait....

I know there's a lot of Sky hate on here, but I make no apologies for saying Rowe has a good chance for a serious result there. Knew it before today, but today's result just confirmed that really.

I think Stannard should be good at Roubaix too. His attack to try and bridge was pretty impressive, was absolutely charging up the Koppenberg, but ultimately didn't make it. But yeah, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Rowe is Sky's best rider again next Sunday. Another top 5 is realistic.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site

SeriousSam said:
PremierAndrew said:
Why Fabian? Why? Why would you let Sagan go?

Fabian was incredible up the Kwaremont and Paterberg, would have torched Sagan I think.

Great ride by Sagan tho, well deserved win

I don't know. Sagan looked mightily impressive there too.

Canceralla clearly rode faster than Sagan on the second last climb, when he attacked the first time, but he died a little bit at the end and terpsta etc caught him.

On the last climb they rode equally I think.

I know it sounds strange but it would be interesting what would have happened if Cancellara had just sat on Terpstras wheel on the Kwaremont, because at the end he spent a lot of energy there but didnt get an advantage over Terpstra who just sat behind a teammate. At the end Cancellara probably wasnt able to catch Sagan because he spent too much energy before the Paterberg.

May 30, 2015
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
Cance > TheRest said:
PremierAndrew said:

Fabian was incredible up the Kwaremont and Paterberg, would have torched Sagan I think.

Big mistake tactically. It cost him the chance of truly competing for victory, but a heroic attempt to fight back.

Paris Roubaix still to come. There's a 2nd chance

I just don't understand. There were two riders who could realistically have challenged him today. One crashed out, so he literally had one man to mark, and he lets him go. Horrible horrible mistake

I don't think he thought Sagan would be that strong. His tactics weren't terrible, Sagan and co. went very early. Sagan ended up doing the lion's share of the work for 40+km. I think Devolder fading accompanied by no other teams helping (Either because they wanted to wear down Canc or because they felt Kwiat and Stijn (Sky and Etixx respectively) were capable finishers, most likely the former) allowed the gap to go out farther than Canc would have ideally preferred, but once they had 20 seconds he had no choice but to wait for the Kwaremont. At that point he just wasn't strong enough. BMC crashing out probably changed the entire complexion of this race but ultimately Sagan was just incredibly dominant and deserved this win.

Come on guys. Surely you can't compare their times up Kwaremont and Paterberg to determine who was stronger. They were in totally different positions. Canc needed to get up to Sagan as soon as possible, while Sagan knew he might have to go all the way alone so he'd better measure his efforts. On Kwaremont he had Vanmarcke on his wheel as well.

PremierAndrew said:
SeriousSam said:
PremierAndrew said:

Sagan managed to extend his lead on the flat in the last 13km. That was very impressive indeed. But canc closed a gap of 18 seconds on him in 2 cobbled climbs. Yeah sagan had already attacked, but surely Sagan wouldnt have been able to hold the wheel if they were both together going onto the Kwaremont the 3rd time

You are very convinced. I think you are alone on that, besides maybe Cance > Rest.

Re:

togo95 said:
Come on guys. Surely you can't compare their times up Kwaremont and Paterberg to determine who was stronger. They were in totally different positions. Canc needed to get up to Sagan as soon as possible, while Sagan knew he might have to go all the way alone so he'd better measure his efforts. On Kwaremont he had Vanmarcke on his wheel as well.

I agree. Cancellara and Sagan rode about the same time on the Pater, but then on the flat part Sagan was faster than Cancellara and Vanmarcke together

rm7 said:
SeriousSam said:
PremierAndrew said:

Canceralla clearly rode faster than Sagan on the second last climb, when he attacked the first time, but he died a little bit at the end and terpsta etc caught him.

On the last climb they rode equally I think.

Sagan was allready on the attack for over 10km and he only had to sustain his lead instead of trying to close a gap.

Big difference. I think it's quite clear Sagan was the strongest today, but if Cancellara had followed when Sagan went they would've probably finished together.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
Meanwhile, Tinkoff still hasn't exploded on twitter
He should be celebrating. Peter and Bertie are the only bright spots in the absolute mess Tinkoff has turned the team into ever since booting Bjarne out.

SeriousSam said:
PremierAndrew said:

No way. Sagan was doing work in front for several kms already while Fabian followed wheels behind. He had Devolder, Katusha and Astana doing the chase. And Sagan clearly showed who was the strongest rider in the last 12km. Remember 2013 what a huge difference Cancellara made in the last part which is best suited to his TT skills. But today he didn't stand a chance also with Vanmarcke helping him. So I seriously doubt Cancellara would have gapped Sagan. Probably the pair would have rode away and decide the winner in a 2 way sprint. But this way was a lot more exciting.

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Called Kwia's attack annoying, also said he still thought he'd catch Sagan on the flat to the finish referencing Sagan's general lack of strength at the end of long races. Sounds like he just underestimated the move and Sagan in general. Also 4 hours of sleep the night before a race like this Canc? Lacking those marginal gains.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

jaylew said:
Canc (laughing), on why he didn't go with Sagan and Kwia - "I don't know, ask me tomorrow"

He did say that Kwia went at a strange time with Stannard still up the road.

he messed up right there. When your biggest competitor goes, along with other world champ, even if you think it is too early or the wrong time, you follow their wheels. You dont have to work but you cant let them slip away ... the lesson learned came too late for Fabian ...

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Cancellara had only 4 hours of sleep?

Full sleep Canc would have ripped Sagan for sure. Should be put into a footnote in the Wikipedia article of the race.

May 26, 2015
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
SeriousSam said:
PremierAndrew said:

Sagan managed to extend his lead on the flat in the last 13km. That was very impressive indeed. But canc closed a gap of 18 seconds on him in 2 cobbled climbs. Yeah sagan had already attacked, but surely Sagan wouldnt have been able to hold the wheel if they were both together going onto the Kwaremont the 3rd time
No he didn't. Fabian was never closer than 15 seconds on those hills. And that was while "resting" at that group.