• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

100th Volta Ciclista a Catalunya(2.UWT) - 22nd March - 28th March

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm of the opposite opinion- it was nice to have one one-week race without a TT for variety.
In the fantasy calender I'm working on for the Race Design Thread, the Volta would be moved back to May and have a MTT as only TT of the race. It's a shame that in a region with many great mountain passes, we see only few of them, and it's mostly a variation over the same MTFs.

And while it likewise can be nice with a stage race without mountains (or selective hills), I think it's more a question of how much (just a prologue or a full length TT) and how (technical, mountainous etc.) than to have or not to have it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
In the fantasy calender I'm working on for the Race Design Thread, the Volta would be moved back to May and have a MTT as only TT of the race. It's a shame that in a region with many great mountain passes, we see only few of them, and it's mostly a variation over the same MTFs.

And while it likewise can be nice with a stage race without mountains (or selective hills), I think it's more a question of how much (just a prologue or a full length TT) and how (technical, mountainous etc.) than to have or not to have it.

Why would it be pushed back to May? It was a very bland race in the start of the ProTour era with winners like Gustavo César and Karpets... Not every change is bad.

Why would it be pushed back to May? It was a very bland race in the start of the ProTour era with winners like Gustavo César and Karpets... Not every change is bad.
Because it allows the race to use the region's terrain, and it improves the composition of the Spanish calender. And the 1995 change was quite good , I agree, so I'm not moving it to September. It's not very clear to me that the 15 editions in that spot had a worse list of winners than the 10 editions since. (The weak winners have been more about a poor route and breakaways, and I think it's a bit of an anachronism to categorize 2007 Karpets as weak). And there won't be any ProTour/WorldTour with my calender.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Right, it's time for yet another WorldTour stage race, this time we (or rather the riders) are heading to Spain for the 100th edition of the Volta Ciclista a Catalunya.

Starlist hasn't been finalised yet, but here is a so-far one:

Startlist for Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2021 (procyclingstats.com)

A name of note is of course the real Chris Harper. While Marc Hirschi returns from wherever he disappeared off to.

Another very important - or maybe not - factor will be the Battle of the Twins! Where he'll see Adam and Simon Yates face up against each other for the first time since turning pro.

Profiles in following posts.
If you want, you can copy the logo from last year's thread, it hasn't changed since last year was supposed to be the 100th edition. That way you can use it as thread icon as well.

Where is Uran? He should be able to ride by now. His baby is probably about a year old by now!!!! :D

I would have put Lopez if I am Movistar. I am not sure what the rules are for someone who tests positive for Covid 19. It looks like he will start on April which seems a bit too late for me.
Oh well. Maybe they noticed that starting late for him didn't hurt him, but they have to take into account that he is coming from an injury.

Where is Uran? He should be able to ride by now. His baby is probably about a year old by now!!!! :D

I would have put Lopez if I am Movistar. I am not sure what the rules are for someone who tests positive for Covid 19. It looks like he will start on April which seems a bit too late for me.
Oh well. Maybe they noticed that starting late for him didn't hurt him, but they have to take into account that he is coming from an injury.

I don't think he is fit enough.

TRENDING THREADS