• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

114th Il Lombardia (1.UWT) // 15th of August 2020

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Eventful day of racing. Fuglsang looked the strongest and he knows how to win these races now. Glad to see Bennett get a result and Vlasov is another young rider on the rise, excellent ride by him as well. Trek had the numbers but not the legs and they should have put a rider up the road much earlier.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Does a mediocre rider win the silver medals in the hardest Olympics Road Race ever? I suppose if you only count the top 100 riders in the world you can argue that among this selection Fuglsang was mediocre in the years 2014-2015, but really, you'd be limiting the sample into meaninglessnes.

It is perfectly fine that you don't like Fuglsang. We have known that for years. But show a little class, at least. I don't believe I have ever written nonsense about Boonen just because I was not a fan of him in his heydays.
He rode a good race (until it had to be decided and he banked on a sure 2nd place), but he clearly wasn't among the 5 strongest riders that day. Unlike his level these past two years. He also rode Liege as a protected rider for Astana without showing this kind of level in those years. It's clear that he was far stronger in the '17 Dauphiné than he had ever been before, and that he last year took a step up. It's nonsense to claim that he wasn't allowed to show what he got before that.

Does a mediocre rider win the silver medals in the hardest Olympics Road Race ever? I suppose if you only count the top 100 riders in the world you can argue that among this selection Fuglsang was mediocre in the years 2014-2015, but really, you'd be limiting the sample into meaninglessnes.

It is perfectly fine that you don't like Fuglsang. We have known that for years. But show a little class, at least. I don't believe I have ever written nonsense about Boonen just because I was not a fan of him in his heydays.
Yes.

He had no team obligations in the 2011 Vuelta and was at his best since his crash two years earlier. He clearly stepped up in 2013 when he joined Astana and was the captain for the Tour. His level there and until he stepped up in '17 was mediocre.

I have to disagree.

Obviously the Danish press and cycling media has followed him a lot more closely, so I feel pretty well informed on his career.

The times he has been given a captaincy, he has often been extraordinarily unlucky, usually getting injured through no fault of his own, like when he was moved down by a motorcycle, when in a break on a TdF mountain stage, or the times people crashed in front of him and brought him down...... he unfortunately has a tendency to break bones when he crashes.

So Vlasov is 24. For those who follow junior/u23 racing, was Vlasov always seen as a top prospect or is he one of those guys that flew under the radar and blossomed a bit later? Looks like he had really good results last year as well in his first season out of U23.
He has won the u23 giro and finished 4th in the Tour de l'Avenir when Pogi won it, ahead of Sosa, Almeida and Dunbar. He raced for an Italian team in the u23 ranks.

I mean, implying a cyclist might do something fishy if his performances suddenly improve after being stable for years, clearly isn't a trump'esque crazy conspiracy theory. Not saying I also have that opinion, just that in this sport that opinion really isn't that outrageous.

You alluding to "Dr. F" is pure conspiracy theory,

I hate people like you, always there to *** all over everything, it didn't take you 10 seconds after he crossed the line.

I just mean that I don't check my mirrors when I turn left because I don't expect a bike rider to be bombing down my left at 80km/h in normal life.
Turning left (or its equivalent right turn where I am) should never be done without checking mirrors. A bike rider would indeed be unexpected, but the much higher possibility of a motorbike or a bad driver means that checking the mirror should be automatic habit.

You alluding to "Dr. F" is pure conspiracy theory,

I hate people like you, always there to *** all over everything, it didn't take you 10 seconds after he crossed the line.
Let's calm down a little. I didn't write the Dr. F post, so if you just want to complain about that, don't conplain about me.

If you want to call the Ferrari thing a conspiracy theory, you are free to do so, but that's really not what this is about. Like, would it have been better if the person had just posted "Jakob Fuglsang is probably doping" because he didn't mention Ferrari? Would that make it less of an "outrageous conspiracy theory". Don't think so.
Again I don't want to claim Fuglsang isn't clean, nor do I want to claim the opposite. But saying someone is probably a trump supporter because he supports either of those opinions is just nonsense.

Turning left (or its equivalent right turn where I am) should never be done without checking mirrors. A bike rider would indeed be unexpected, but the much higher possibility of a motorbike or a bad driver means that checking the mirror should be automatic habit.
Actually, I would think even without the race Como draws plenty of recreational cyclists, so it shouldn’t be completely shocking that a cyclist would cone zooming down that road, though perhaps not quite as fast as a pro. I think she thought she could dash across between riders, and then panicked.