• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

114th Paris-Roubaix - UCI World Tour (10/4-2016)

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Pantani_lives said:
trevim said:
Pantani_lives said:
trevim said:
I'll root for Vanmarcke, he's a true flandrien and it'll be a good race if he wins :)
He's too good to not win Flanders or Roubaix at least once in his career. Two things keep him from winning: he doesn't have a sprint and he doesn't have a team.
Regarding the sprint, he can always attack. Roubaix is such a weird race that I always have hope that he can find some good timing to place a deadly attack. Not likely, not easy but not impossible.

About his team, probably only Wynants, Tjallingii, Wagner and Teunissen are decent at this level. I would try to put any of them in the breakaway otherwise I fear Sep will be isolated right after Arenberg.

Yes, without bad luck he will certainly finish close, but winning is so hard. His name would look good on the victory list!

This is his greatest problem imo - Not his team or a lack of a sprint....he always seems to have bad luck.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

The last 4 hours of Roubaix offer pretty much no recovery. You're either on the pave or racing for position ahead of the next set of pave. I just don't think Sagan can be at his explosive best in that situation. Cancellara can and has done many times in the past.[/quote

Especially for Sagan, who is such a good descender he can gain time in these recovery periods. It's also worth noting that, while Sagan is a decent bike handler, he's comparatively inexperienced on the distinctive and difficult pave of Roubaix (especially in the mud).

*****Cancellara
****Vanmarcke, Stybar
***Sagan, Kristoff, Boom, Terpstra
**Stannard, Rowe, Boonen
*Roelandts, Keukeliere[/quote]

Sagan is a "decent" bike handler? C'mon buddy.

CfqU9phWIAEkwmx.jpg

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Max Rockatansky said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
it's unfortunate the weather today. the cobbles will be dry soon

It rained all night. There will be dry parts, wet parts and slippery parts. And no one is used to these conditions in a race. I expect carnage.
when the sun is shining, roads will dry up in a few hours. this isn't italy where roads stay wet for weeks