• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

114th Paris-Roubaix - UCI World Tour (10/4-2016)

Page 59 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just finished belatedly watching this and I ermmm... need a lie down.
I was screaming, shrieking like a banshee when Boonen got boxed in.
Surreal race. Brilliant rides all over the place.
And Sagan? HOW!? I'm pretty sure testing would demonstrate that madness to be physiologically impossible.

Fabian Cancellara, I implore you, just one more go.

What a season so far. Ardennes, don't fail us now!

Best race I've ever seen in my whole life. This was just freaking insane from the start.

Only just finished watching...i watched the start like with the crazy huge breakaway. Then i went out with my family for a nice day. I allready ignored them last sunday and I can't do that every weekend ;)
So i recorded it and started watching from the moment it went live on belgian television. From 120km to go it was edge of the seat racing and I think I fell off a dozen times. The final was absolutely nerve wrecking and with Hayman winning we didn't get a big name winning this insane edition of Roubaix, but the guy was in the break of the day for gods sake and he's been racing these cobbles for years and then in his old days he wins Roubaix.... Beating Boonen in a sprint!!! Just crazy.

I'm on a huge high atm. What an incredible race, just amazing.

What an spring....wow.

Re:

alspacka said:
Just finished belatedly watching this and I ermmm... need a lie down.
I was screaming, shrieking like a banshee when Boonen got boxed in.
Surreal race. Brilliant rides all over the place.
And Sagan? HOW!? I'm pretty sure testing would demonstrate that madness to be physiologically impossible.

Fabian Cancellara, I implore you, just one more go.

What a season so far. Ardennes, don't fail us now!

Dont hope on the ardennes. They cn only be a dissapointment after this crazy spring.

Kwibus said:
Best race I've ever seen in my whole life. This was just freaking insane from the start.

Only just finished watching...i watched the start like with the crazy huge breakaway. Then i went out with my family for a nice day. I allready ignored them last sunday and I can't do that every weekend ;)
So i recorded it and started watching from the moment it went live on belgian television. From 120km to go it was edge of the seat racing and I think I fell off a dozen times. The final was absolutely nerve wrecking and with Hayman winning we didn't get a big name winning this insane edition of Roubaix, but the guy was in the break of the day for gods sake and he's been racing these cobbles for years and then in his old days he wins Roubaix.... Beating Boonen in a sprint!!! Just crazy.

What an spring....wow.

Totally agree. There is something about a veteran winning unexpectedly and doing such a great ride. Boonen seemed to be in good spirits after the race chatting to Hayman but Stannard looked a bit deflated. This has the same feel as Van Summeren's win even though the way it was won was totally different. No cycling fan can be disappointed with that race as it had everything and no one looked better than anyone else in the finale. They all had attacked and been chased down. Great race.

That was seriously awesome.

I feel for the four who missed out, especially Sep and EBH because it was such a golden opportunity for one of them to finally deliver on their huge potential.

But who could begrudge Hayman? Was a brilliant performance - stoic and smart. It wasn't like he got away because OGE had some superstar behind that everyone was watching. Boonen was also brilliant. And I know it's wrong, but it was beautiful to watch Sky fall apart.

Gigs_98 said:
I want to cry right now. I watch every freakin race in the whole season and the first big one day race, of the whole year which I miss is described by long time fans like Eshnar as the best Paris Roubaix they have ever seen. Seriously, how high are the odds that I will ever get the chance to see such a PR again. :cry:

Oh and btw, the penultimate WT one day race I didnt watch was Gent Wevelgem 2015, no f***ing joke :eek:

I know your feeling. That's why these days I always record important races if I can't see them live.
I avoided news/internet like the best in the world to avoid spoilers. So I watched it like ot was live and I don't regret it's almost 3 at night since I think I just watched the best rave I've ever seen.

Re:

The Hegelian said:

I feel for the four who missed out, especially Sep and EBH because it was such a golden opportunity for one of them to finally deliver on their huge potential.

But who could begrudge Hayman? Was a brilliant performance - stoic and smart. It wasn't like he got away because OGE had some superstar behind that everyone was watching. Boonen was also brilliant. And I know it's wrong, but it was beautiful to watch Sky fall apart.

I don't hate on any rider or team, but I don't really like dominating teams. So tbh I don't like Sky in stage races, but I do like the classics squad since they lack a pure winner, but just like Etixx they have a few riders near the top. They rode excellent today, tactically perfect and them with 54 to 52km to go they pretty much lose 3 of their 4 riders upfront due to crashes. Ofcourse it wasn't bad luck and it was part of the race, but tbh they rode a great race. No stupid Sky tactics like they did in the first years, but smart amd strong racing. Stannard is a beast and I'm happy for his podium and Rowe also did great even after he crashed.
Putting everyone in the wind just before mons et pevele was a brilliant move.

The 2 itlaian youngsters also did great.

I dont like their money buying the best team, but their classics squad isnt really a high budget bought team so I appreciate that squad most certainly. I

Re:

Leffe_Bruin said:
I still can't believe how awesome this race was. With about 20 km to go I remember thinking I'd rate this race 9/10 and not 10/10 because there we no Dutchies involved in the final but that last 10 Kilometer was just the best thing ever that ever happened in the history of everything ... I mean all those attacks ... all those chases ... the Belgian commentators going wild ... all 5 together in the last lap in the velodrome ... that final sprint ... the look on Hayman's face after winning. My body was literally shaking and I had tears in my eyes because of all the epicness I had just witnessed ... The only words that came out of my mouth were 'WOW!'. This race was easily an 11/10

Amen!

movingtarget said:
Kwibus said:

What an spring....wow.

Totally agree. There is something about a veteran winning unexpectedly and doing such a great ride. Boonen seemed to be in good spirits after the race chatting to Hayman but Stannard looked a bit deflated. This has the same feel as Van Summeren's win even though the way it was won was totally different. No cycling fan can be disappointed with that race as it had everything and no one looked better than anyone else in the finale. They all had attacked and been chased down. Great race.
+1
This is why I love one-day races and classics!
Really sorry for Boonen, but hey, nice job Hayman.

Re: Re:

Leffe_Bruin said:
I still can't believe how awesome this race was. With about 20 km to go I remember thinking I'd rate this race 9/10 and not 10/10 because there we no Dutchies involved in the final but that last 10 Kilometer was just the best thing ever that ever happened in the history of everything ... I mean all those attacks ... all those chases ... the Belgian commentators going wild ... all 5 together in the last lap in the velodrome ... that final sprint ... the look on Hayman's face after winning. My body was literally shaking and I had tears in my eyes because of all the epicness I had just witnessed ... The only words that came out of my mouth were 'WOW!'. This race was easily an 11/10
Post of the day!!!

Cheers!

Kwibus said:
The Hegelian said:

I don't hate on any rider or team, but I don't really like dominating teams. So tbh I don't like Sky in stage races, but I do like the classics squad since they lack a pure winner, but just like Etixx they have a few riders near the top. They rode excellent today, tactically perfect and them with 54 to 52km to go they pretty much lose 3 of their 4 riders upfront due to crashes. Ofcourse it wasn't bad luck and it was part of the race, but tbh they rode a great race. No stupid Sky tactics like they did in the first years, but smart amd strong racing. Stannard is a beast and I'm happy for his podium and Rowe also did great even after he crashed.
Putting everyone in the wind just before mons et pevele was a brilliant move.

The 2 itlaian youngsters also did great.

I dont like their money buying the best team, but their classics squad isnt really a high budget bought team so I appreciate that squad most certainly. I

Yeah, I sort of agree - that's why I wrote 'I know it's wrong....'

They've probably been the best team through this years classics - animating races, starting decisive breaks, having numbers at the front when it counts, working at the right time - with a good spread of talent but other than Kwia, no absolute guns. Rowe was super unlucky. He looked very strong.

It's just that when you see those black jerseys form in numbers at the front of a monument, you can't help but remember every little bit of life and interest getting strangled out of GT's, and you can't help but worry that such a thing might start happening on cobbles too. So when mud creates the x-factor anarchy which subverts that attempt to Sky control......well, yes, I enjoy it.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site

jmdirt said:
infeXio said:
The Viviani-moto incident - riders crashed on the cobbles in Arenberg, the motorcycle subsequently crashed whilst trying to brake and was sliding into Viviani - not exactly sure how much he was hit by it, but the moto is hardly to blame here, as it didn't really drive into him (apart from maybe being too close to the riders to begin with)

https://www.facebook.com/LaGazzettaDelloSport/videos/10153450332690936/?__mref=message_bubble
The moto is to blame!

The Trek rider to the moto driver at the end of the video clip, "Hey a$$hole, why'd you get so close!"

Classic :D

Maaaaaaaarten said:
rhubroma said:
It was a shame Boonen didn't make history. I'd have liked a straight up battle between Sagan and Cancellara, but thus was not to be. The thing that bites me is that Boonen, who under other circumstances would have been a favorite, came through with luck, though not enough to win. Instead someone who will never make history won. Fate is cruel.

Being positioned well and having a strong team isn't luck. Boonen, Vanmarcke and Stannard were in contention because they were positioned well and because they had strong teams that could maintain the gap to Cancellara and Sagan when they had been caught out of position.

Also, Matthew Hayman made history by winning this race. This race will be remembered for many years to come as an exceptionally fine edition of Paris-Roubaix and Matthew Hayman will be remembered for many years to come as the winner of this race and rightly so. :)

Boonen was lucky, given his current form, Cancellara and Sagan were delayed by crashes. They weren't badly positioned, just 2/3 of the field got into a wreck.

As it was Hayman becamed the "strong man," which really is telling about the fiasco the race became. People are praising this though as the "best race ever." :eek: Verily it was anticlimatic.

rhubroma said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:
rhubroma said:
It was a shame Boonen didn't make history. I'd have liked a straight up battle between Sagan and Cancellara, but thus was not to be. The thing that bites me is that Boonen, who under other circumstances would have been a favorite, came through with luck, though not enough to win. Instead someone who will never make history won. Fate is cruel.

Being positioned well and having a strong team isn't luck. Boonen, Vanmarcke and Stannard were in contention because they were positioned well and because they had strong teams that could maintain the gap to Cancellara and Sagan when they had been caught out of position.

Also, Matthew Hayman made history by winning this race. This race will be remembered for many years to come as an exceptionally fine edition of Paris-Roubaix and Matthew Hayman will be remembered for many years to come as the winner of this race and rightly so. :)

Boonen was lucky, given his current form, Cancellara and Sagan were delayed by crashes. They weren't badly positioned, just 2/3 of the field got into a wreck.

As it was Hayman becamed the "strong man," which really is telling about the fiasco the race became. People are praising this though as the "best race ever." :eek: Verily it was anticlimatic.
[/quote

Hayman was a "strong man" and the race was far from a fiasco, it doesn't always have to be the very best riders contesting for it to be an amazing race, this years addition will be remembered

rhubroma said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:
rhubroma said:

So since one of the pre-race favourites didn't win, it automatically becomes a fiasco and is called anticlimatic, regardless of how it was raced? Aight.

BigMac said:
rhubroma said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:
rhubroma said:

So since one of the pre-race favourites didn't win, it automatically becomes a fiasco and is called anticlimatic, regardless of how it was raced? Aight.

Hey everyone is entiteled to their opinion. What was a fiasco and anticlamctic for me doesn't have to jive with you. But, yes, I found the race a fiasco and anticlimactic, so there. :p

BigMac said:
rhubroma said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:
rhubroma said:

Sagan and Cancellara would have had a hard time winning that race even if they got across. The last 5 guys were all super strong, as shown by Cance and Sagan struggling to close the gap even before the crashes.

And anyone who doesn't take a 15 time finisher at Roubaix, with multiple top 10's while riding as a domestique for a genuine favourite (Flecha) as a serious threat in that situation is an idiot. All of Hayman's breakaway companions throughout the day knew that he was more than good enough to contend in that scenario.

42x16ss said:
BigMac said:
rhubroma said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:
rhubroma said:

Sagan and Cancellara would have had a hard time winning that race even if they got across. The last 5 guys were all super strong, as shown by Cance and Sagan struggling to close the gap even before the crashes.

And anyone who doesn't take a 15 time finisher at Roubaix, with multiple top 10's while riding as a domestique for a genuine favourite (Flecha) as a serious threat in that situation is an idiot. All of Hayman's breakaway companions throughout the day knew that he was more than good enough to contend in that scenario.

Woho, them's fightin words there. I never said Hayman wasn't to be taken seriously. My feeling is that he was the right guy at the right time, because if Boonen hadn't choked during the sprint, as he himself made clear when saying he botched it due to the stress of making history, and if Sagan and Cancellara weren't held up, and if Tony Martin had been allowed to make his own race (for he was verily the strongest yesterday), the race would have been much more agreeable to me. I was, in any case, pulling for Boonen the moment the race became the fiasco it did (I know, it's only my opinion, but I'm entitled to it). Thus that Hayman won was naturally anticlimactic for me.

TRENDING THREADS