• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

13th Tour Down Under 2011, (809 kms) WT Jan 16-23

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
car.gif

The Tour Down Under first edition in 1999, is a cycling race in Adelaide, South Australia and surrounding area. The Tour generally features stages surrounding Adelaide, which varies from flat to moderately undulating. The race starts on the third Tuesday of January each year and attracts riders from across Australia and the world.

Stages
16.01 | Cancer Council Classic | Rymill Park, Adelaide (51k /30 Laps à 1,7k)
18.01 | Stage 1 | Mawson Lakes - Angaston (138k) [MAP]
19.01 | Stage 2 | Tailem Bend - Mannum (146k) [MAP]
20.01 | Stage 3 | Unley - Stirling (129k) [MAP]
21.01 | Stage 4 | Norwood - Strathalbyn (124k) [MAP]
22.01 | Stage 5 | McLaren Vale - Willunga (131k) [MAP]
23.01 | Stage 6 | Adelaide City Council Street Circuit (90k/20 Laps à 4,5k) [MAP]

Teams
Pro-Teams (18): Omega Pharma-Lotto (Greipel), Quick Step (Chicchi), HTC-High Road (Cavendish), RadioShack (Armstrong), BMC, Garmin-Cervelo (Farrar), Team Sky (Henderson), Team Saxo Bank, Luxemburg Pro Cycling, Katusha, Astana (Davis), Movistar, Euskaltel-Euskadi, Ag2r-La Mondiale, Rabobank (Brown), Vacansoleil (R.Feillu), Lampre-ISD and Liquigas (Wulf).

Startlist: [http://startlists.com]

Honor Roll
2010 André Greipel (Ger)
2009 Allan Davis (Aus)
2008 André Greipel (Ger)
2007 Martin Elmiger (Sui)
2006 Simon Gerrans (Aus)
2005 Luis Leon Sanchez (Esp)
2004 Patrick Jonker (Aus)
2003 Mikel Astarloza (Esp)
2002 Michael Rogers (Aus)
2001 Stuart O'Grady (Aus)
2000 Gilles Maignan (Fra)
1999 Stuart O'Grady (Aus)

images

Last Year
1. André Greipel (Ger) HTC-Columbia 18:47:05
2. Luis Leon Sanchez (Esp) Caisse d'Epargne 0:00:11
3. Gregory Henderson (Nzl) Team Sky 0:00:15
4. Robbie McEwen (Aus) Katusha 0:00:17
5. Luke Roberts (Aus) Team Milram 0:00:17
6. Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:21
7. Eduard Vorganov (Rus) Katusha 0:00:25
8. Jurgen Roelandts (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 0:00:26
9. Robert Hunter (Rsa) Garmin-Transitions 0:00:26
10. Markus Fothen (Ger) Team Milram 0:00:27
the-2010-tour-down-under-andr%C3%A9-greipel-gets-the-first-stage-win.jpg

KOM: Thomas Rohregger (Aut) Team Milram
Teams: Ag2r-La Mondiale

Stage winners: André Greipel (3x), Gregory Henderson (Classic), Manuel Cardoso, Luis Leon Sanchez and Christopher Sutton.

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
One team left out Team Uni SA which is the composite of young and non Protour guys. They animate the race with an aim to be in every break. It is like pace runners.

Other things I enjoy about this race is the base in Victoria Square. The mechanic's village open to the public for a period post race and it helps the teams for storage and parking of team cars.

The TDU is finding its niche in the calender. Mostly sprinters winning but they need to earn it by chasing down.

Looking forward to Griepel/Cavendish/Farrar/Henderson/ChiChi/Brown/Davis/Matthews/McEwen

However, last year favourite moments were Evans v Sanchez and he who we do not speak thy name (Valverde) on Willunga hill.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
supercameron said:
my money is on Griepel looking to prove he is the best sprinter in the world at his new team

Exactly my thoughts. I hope Greipel crushes Cavebdish. Though I imagine that cavendish will not want to get beaten by Greipel.

What other race are you going to get all the top sprinters at other than the tour de france?

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
Exactly my thoughts. I hope Greipel crushes Cavebdish. Though I imagine that cavendish will not want to get beaten by Greipel.

What other race are you going to get all the top sprinters at other than the tour de france?

Depends if they are there to race or enjoy the sun of course. I think greipel will be there to race, not convinced cav is there to do anything other than pick up a few ranking points. That said, on paper htc should have a better train.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I want Allan Davis to win, at least his chances are not less than Graipel's. But if disaster will take place (the unreal situation when Cavendish wins :eek:), i'll save my time not going to watch Sanremo.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
I'm afraid Allan Davis's chances to win will always be lower than Greipels.
Agreed
Davis would need guys like Evans and valverde to be racing as their teams on the stages to stirling and wilunga would split the field up which would get rid of the main sprinters which means Alby would feature and get some time on the pure sprinters. Which team this year is really going to push the pace to split the field on the climb to stirling or wilunga hill? So may top sprinters coming this year. It is a dead certainty that every day will be a field sprint and that on the stages to wilunga and stirling there will be a lot less attacking because of the amount of teams wanting a sprint.

auscyclefan94 said:

Milan-San Remo, possibly Paris-Tours, and the Worlds depending on parcours (definitely this year).

Let's bear in mind this is the first time we have had all the top sprinters at the TDU too, before we go overboard.

auscyclefan94 said:
Agreed
Davis would need guys like Evans and valverde to be racing as their teams on the stages to stirling and wilunga would split the field up which would get rid of the main sprinters which means Alby would feature and get some time on the pure sprinters. Which team this year is really going to push the pace to split the field on the climb to stirling or wilunga hill? So may top sprinters coming this year. It is a dead certainty that every day will be a field sprint and that on the stages to wilunga and stirling there will be a lot less attacking because of the amount of teams wanting a sprint.

You mean Willunga will just lead to a sprint? Looks like I'll sleep through every stage instead of every stage but one this time.

They should have a one-lap race up and around Willunga, with the XC-skiing/Nordic Combined "catch me if you can" race style. Set everybody off on their race time, it's only a short race so you can see the sprinters have to work together not to lose to the better GC guys catching them up. If they can stay in reasonable contact (which they should, many domestiques won't be too far behind so can help them limit losses), then there will still be the option of taking the lead back in the sprint the next day.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
The presence of many top sprinters doesn't mean the peloton wouldn't break on Willunga Hill. There is no need of Valverde or Evans for Davis to leave behind Cavendish and Farrar there. And it's a fact that Davis is better than Greipel on the hills. But you look at Greipel - Davis confrontation in the context of 2010 season: Davis had a bad year, Greipel gained many victories, but none in the sprint with whom we call top-sprinters, isn't that so? But Allan Davis on form is maybe not a contender to Cavendish (but Greipel can't do this too) but he's very stable in results, he's also a sprinting madman. Incidentally, in the contention with Cavendish and Farrar, Andre will not have enough bonification seconds over Allan whose stability can be decisive.

Yes, Davis is definitely better than Greipel on the hills. But the climb of Willunga isn't all that close to the finish; can he really climb so much better that the combined trains of Lotto, Columbia and Garmin won't be able to pull him back?

(That said he may find allies in Garmin if Tyler climbs better than Cav or Greipel, since Tyler was up in the first group back in RVV. Then again, I'd back Tyler to outsprint Davis and have more bonus seconds 10 times out of 10, in which case he, rather than Alby, would benefit).

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
All depends on whether Cavendish and especially Farrar want to win TdU. If Farrar prepares for TdU and takes it serious, then no way for both Davis and Greipel. But if they consider TdU as a preparation and a first meeting in 2011 then I expect only Lotto train on Willunga (not Lotto + HTC + Garmin)

They say that heroin is like the kiss of god, but that the low that comes after is the worst thing in the world.

These people should try cycling. The early season is an almighty high, but the severity of the low is present on this thread for all to see.

People on here are looking forward to the Tour Down Under,:confused: The Tour down under:eek: , even though it’s a month and a half away.

For shame.

A

Anonymous

The Hitch said:
People on here are looking forward to the Tour Down Under,:confused: The Tour down under:eek: , even though it’s a month and a half away.

For shame.

Not really. five days of highlights having to listen to phil and paul spouting nonsense, and then staying up till silly o clock two nights in a row to watch a snooze fest.

NSW GP Crit series next weekend anyway, meant to be highlights of the first three and live coverage of the last two.

TeamSkyFans said:
Not really. five days of highlights having to listen to phil and paul spouting nonsense, and then staying up till silly o clock two nights in a row to watch a snooze fest.

NSW GP Crit series next weekend anyway, meant to be highlights of the first three and live coverage of the last two.

Yeah TeamSkyFans i will be going to the Bathurst Criterium(NSW GP Series) to support the boys its on Wednesday night at 8pm.My money will be on Sutton from Sky....or My Mate Renshaw.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Milan-San Remo, possibly Paris-Tours, and the Worlds depending on parcours (definitely this year).

Let's bear in mind this is the first time we have had all the top sprinters at the TDU too, before we go overboard.
MSR? Yeah I guess. Paris Tours? No. Worlds? That can't be really be counted because it wasn't a bunch sprint at all and none of the top bunch sprinters were present in the finally.

Libertine Seguros said:
You mean Willunga will just lead to a sprint? Looks like I'll sleep through every stage instead of every stage but one this time.

They should have a one-lap race up and around Willunga, with the XC-skiing/Nordic Combined "catch me if you can" race style. Set everybody off on their race time, it's only a short race so you can see the sprinters have to work together not to lose to the better GC guys catching them up. If they can stay in reasonable contact (which they should, many domestiques won't be too far behind so can help them limit losses), then there will still be the option of taking the lead back in the sprint the next day.
Spunds interesting
Libertine Seguros said:
Yes, Davis is definitely better than Greipel on the hills. But the climb of Willunga isn't all that close to the finish; can he really climb so much better that the combined trains of Lotto, Columbia and Garmin won't be able to pull him back?

(That said he may find allies in Garmin if Tyler climbs better than Cav or Greipel, since Tyler was up in the first group back in RVV. Then again, I'd back Tyler to outsprint Davis and have more bonus seconds 10 times out of 10, in which case he, rather than Alby, would benefit).

Yeah that is what I am saying. Next yeat there will be more stronger sprint teams and less teams that would look to split it up.

auscyclefan94 said:
MSR? Yeah I guess. Paris Tours? No. Worlds? That can't be really be counted because it wasn't a bunch sprint at all and none of the top bunch sprinters were present in the finally.
I did say that in the Worlds it depends on parcours. This year's most of them went because there was a possibility it would be a bunch sprint, but most of the pure sprinters were burned off by the end; no top sprinter was going to make it to the end in Mendrisio or Varese. This year, however, there is a very strong possibility that a sprint could happen, therefore they'll likely all line up. Paris-Tours is debatable cos so many people shut up shop for the year at the Worlds, but San Remo is the Monument that a pure sprinter CAN win, so you'll usually see most of the best sprinters line up there.

Yeah that is what I am saying. Next yeat there will be more stronger sprint teams and less teams that would look to split it up.

Well, I hope you enjoy your parade. I'll be keeping an eye on some racing going on in Argentina at that time.

A

Anonymous

blaxland said:
Yeah TeamSkyFans i will be going to the Bathurst Criterium(NSW GP Series) to support the boys its on Wednesday night at 8pm.My money will be on Sutton from Sky....or My Mate Renshaw.

Should be a good series, Sutton, Henderson and Gerrans riding for sky (maybe with additional help from Hunt who will no doubt support his new teammates). Not sure of the rest of the riders, Graeme Brown is riding, Ed Clancy. No riderlist issued yet.

http://www.nswgrandprixcycling.com.au/

what with this and the jayco series I think the aussies/kiwis may well have the edge over cavendish and greipel come january.

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Freire no topsprinter? why did he win MSR 3 times? Tireno-Adriatico is also a sprint-fest: most MSR contenders ride this race with around 3 sprint-stages usually

TeamSkyFans said:
Should be a good series, Sutton, Henderson and Gerrans riding for sky (maybe with additional help from Hunt who will no doubt support his new teammates). Not sure of the rest of the riders, Graeme Brown is riding, Ed Clancy. No riderlist issued yet.

http://www.nswgrandprixcycling.com.au/

what with this and the jayco series I think the aussies/kiwis may well have the edge over cavendish and greipel come january.

That seals it.

How many races until Bruiser makes headlines?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts