• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Giro d'Italia rumours

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
You couldn't be more wrong. As Dim and mellow velo so perfectly described especially to most Italians, the tour will never be as important as the Giro

Well that's hardly a surprise, but to most people the first (and to some only) one that matters is the tour, it carries the most prestige and usually has the best competitors there.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Machu Picchu said:
Well that's hardly a surprise, but to most people the first (and to some only) one that matters is the tour, it carries the most prestige and usually has the best competitors there.

Well, considering that the Italian riders also put the Giro first ensures that most of the best Italian riders do specifically target the Giro and not the tour, which means that often the best Italian riders are at their top at the Giro and not the tour. So the tour does not have all the best competitors at their best

crocycling said:
Zomegnan with this route tries to make giro bigger than tour, but he can put 21 mtf and still giro would be insignificant to tour. History , tradition, legends, that's something giro doesn't have as near as tour.

History, tradition, legends... indeed the Giro doesn't have those.
Maybe you are a Lance fan too?

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
Well, considering that the Italian riders also put the Giro first ensures that most of the best Italian riders do specifically target the Giro and not the tour, which means that often the best Italian riders are at their top at the Giro and not the tour. So the tour does not have all the best competitors at their best

Which is why I used the word 'usually', but more often than not the world's best are concentrating on the tour.

Anyhow, back to Etna, VeloN have it wrong in terms of the climb. It's 1200m, not 700m. That is the start point at Nicolosi. The first ascent is 1100m of climbing at exactly the same average.
All in, it's 36kms at 6.4% average. Not silly steep, but plenty tough for stage 9!

crocycling said:
Zomegnan with this route tries to make giro bigger than tour, but he can put 21 mtf and still giro would be insignificant to tour. History , tradition, legends, that's something giro doesn't have as near as tour.

Yeah the Tour has more prestige. But if you look at it this way, why do you even watch cycling. Because the same way as the Giro is "insignificant" to the Tour, the Tour is "Insignificant" to other sporting events, like the olympics, Football world cup, Rugby world cup, NFL etc.

The Giro is slightly less important than the Tour. But a win in the Giro > 2nd in the TOur so its not that far behind. And for the cycling fan, its WAY more entertianing.

Besides, time was a Wimbledon was worth as much as all other grand slams together. About 15 years ago it was still the biggest. Now a gs is a gs, doesnt matter which. Im not saying cycling will go this way but its possible.

crocycling said:

actually in recent years the giro already have been better than the tour in a sportif way, since 2008 edition (competitors, route, pressure).

at the moment tour is only bigger for the media/ the commerce.

Machu Picchu said:

But this year they held both the Giro and the Tour starts in Holland. The Giro start in Amsterdam more than matched the Tour start in Rotterdam. Both got around a million people. While the Tour left, the Giro did a few stages in Holland. Stage 2 i remember was also epic, people wise. Going into Utrecht i think, they once again got a million people.

SHows that the Giro is also seen as a huge event. If it wasnt, Washington DC wouldnt be considering the crackpot idea of starting the giro there.

The Hitch said:
But this year they held both the Giro and the Tour starts in Holland. The Giro start in Amsterdam more than matched the Tour start in Rotterdam. Both got around a million people. While the Tour left, the Giro did a few stages in Holland. Stage 2 i remember was also epic, people wise. Going into Utrecht i think, they once again got a million people.

SHows that the Giro is also seen as a huge event. If it wasnt, Washington DC wouldnt be considering the crackpot idea of starting the giro there.
Yeah, the number of people by the side of the road was quite surprising, but trust me: once the Giro left Holland no-one gave a rat's a$$ about it anymore, as opposed to the Tour.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Yeah, the number of people by the side of the road was quite surprising, but trust me: once the Giro left Holland no-one gave a rat's a$$ about it anymore, as opposed to the Tour.

That also had to do with the fact that the NOS did not show the giro. Thank goodness for Sporza. But really anyone in the Netherlands who cares anything about cycling (other than the 3 week warriors) enjoys the Giro much more

Barrus said:
That also had to do with the fact that the NOS did not show the giro. Thank goodness for Sporza. But really anyone in the Netherlands who cares anything about cycling (other than the 3 week warriors) enjoys the Giro much more
Yeah, but those aren't too many. The people by the side of the road weren't avid Giro fans, they were just there because there was something to see.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
yeah but when there is a party and it's free to visit, the dutch are there

I know which parties the Dutch like!:D

anyway, the stage to glossclockner should be awesome. A high altitude MTF. It is a beautiful area of the world.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I know which parties the Dutch like!:D

anyway, the stage to glossclockner should be awesome. A high altitude MTF. It is a beautiful area of the world.

Is this a stereotype you're using, is this from personal experience?

I've had nights out with some Dutch people, funny how it came to their turn to buy the drinks they went AWOL...

:p

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Oh, and:

As Europe's largest active volcano, Etna on the southern Italian island of Sicily, will be be climbed twice. Stage nine, scheduled for May 15, foresees a first climb of 17 kilometres up the northern side from Linguaglossa to Lenza at 1,631 metres, before a mountain top finish up the southern side, from Nicolesi to Rifugio Sapienza over 19 kilometres, will determine a winner. The total length of the stage starting in Sicily's largest city Messina will be 159 kilometres.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2011-giro-to-include-mount-etna

craig1985 said:
Is this a stereotype you're using, is this from personal experience?

I've had nights out with some Dutch people, funny how it came to their turn to buy the drinks they went AWOL...

:p

:) That's stereotype! Because in fact the dutch ain't greedy.. well compared to the belgians that is. So far all my experiences where I could compare dutch to belgians when it comes down to generousity or tip or whatever the dutch gave waaay more.

It's a shame NOS doesn't broadcast the giro on a daily basis. Only during the weekend the show the races. Allthough they probably don't have many people watching which is a good reason not to broadcast it. All the people that I know that like cycling a bit only watch the TdF unfortunately.

I really hope the Giro gets bigger though. Just like tennis where all the Grand slams are big events.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Kwibus said:
:) That's stereotype! Because in fact the dutch ain't greedy.. well compared to the belgians that is. So far all my experiences where I could compare dutch to belgians when it comes down to generousity or tip or whatever the dutch gave waaay more.

It's a shame NOS doesn't broadcast the giro on a daily basis. Only during the weekend the show the races. Allthough they probably don't have many people watching which is a good reason not to broadcast it. All the people that I know that like cycling a bit only watch the TdF unfortunately.

I really hope the Giro gets bigger though. Just like tennis where all the Grand slams are big events.

You guys are greedy Calvinists!