• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Giro dÂ’italia May 13 Stage 8: Sulmona- Lago Laceno

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
2012 Giro d’italia May 13 Stage 8: Sulmona- Lago Laceno

2012 Giro d’italia , May 13 Stage 8: Sulmona- Lago Laceno:
Distance 229 km.
(I know it is a bit early but I feel this stage is going to be quite decisive and will allow the GC riders their first chance at inflicting some damage)

This is the furthest south the Giro will reach this time around. The finishing climb is Lake Laceno which is 9km and deceptively tough.

Tomorow's climb at Abruzzo will not be damaging when it comes to time gaps, even if we may see GC contenders like Rodriguez going for the win.
Yet Sunday is an entirely different story, when you take into consideration the rolling roads which take up most of the stage is certain to be pretty gruelling and it will be a case of the riders who are in the best form, to decide the stage winner.

Yet most interesting is the last time the Giro visited here, on that day Alex Zulle defeated Marco Pantani in a tantalilsing battle where aftet pink jersey Bartoli attacked Pantani went and then Zulle reeled him in, and succeeded in securing the Pink jersey if we see anything of the sort on this stage it will certainly be a treat.
Here are some highlights of that stage and others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AEA66M1h7Os#!

Indeed the most important thing about this stage is the phsychological advantage which the GC contenders who succed here, can put into their fellow contenders. Particularly Rodriguez will be looking to inflict some damage but the climb is hard enough for even the likes of Basso and Scarponi to do something.

The final climb, the second category Colle Molella is split up into two halves. The first half consists of gentle slopes yet close to the top the gradient reaches around 12%, there is then a flat finish of 4km to the finish in Laceno.

7e7fec6ec250.jpg

t08_lagolaceno_alt_sopr_600.jpg

12042214367-hoehenprofil-giro-dacuteitalia-2012---etappe-8-colle-molella.jpg

c8b75dea1dba.jpg

Here some experts on this stage.

Przemyslaw Niemec “It’s hard and it’ll be nervous. It’s very long with an uphill start and a big finish. Most importantly, though, the GC still won’t be sorted out and there’s a lot which can go wrong on a day like this, you can’t win the Giro here but you can lose it.”

Bergonzi : “As ever when the Giro starts abroad, it’s Southern Italy which pays. The climb will make some holes in the GC, and it’ll be about power more than anything else. Last time the Giro came here was in 1998, Pantani’s Giro. Alex Zülle won that day, and I expect a similar rider to do well here.”

Favorites:
Scarponi, Cunego, Gadret, Rujano, Kreuziger, Pozzovivo, Hesjedal, Rodriguez, Basso, Szymd, Visconti, Cataldo, Schleck, Henao, Uran, Gasparotto.

After today's stage I would fancy Scarponi for this stage, yet it matters at what tempo the final climb is raced at, if it is not raced to fast then the last 4km of flat may favour riders like Visconti though.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
tappa_08_S02.jpg

Five flat km's after the climb to the finish might negate some of the attackers, so I'm expecting a 15-20 rider sprint at the finish.
Good news - it's a flat stage the day after, which means some of the attackers might try to get away on the climb and stay all the way to the finish. Yet another one hard to predict though.

I will go with Dan Brown for stage win, just because I feel like it

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
fetisoff said:
tappa_08_s02.jpg

five flat km's after the climb to the finish might negate some of the attackers, so i'm expecting a 15-20 rider sprint at the finish.
good news - it's a flat stage the day after, which means some of the attackers might try to get away on the climb and stay all the way to the finish. Yet another one hard to predict though.

i will go with dan brown for stage win, just because i feel like it

edited :)

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
will10 said:
Better still, it's the rest day, then a flat stage. Should be a few guys giving it a good go.

Isn't second rest day after stage 15??

BTW, Froome19 - can you do something to make the images smaller in width?

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Fetisoff said:
Isn't second rest day after stage 15??

BTW, Froome19 - can you do something to make the images smaller in width?

I dont know how to i originally put them up then got rid of them but them i decided to put them back up.

I will try to find smaller ones but i cant guarantee

Edit: Ok I have gotten ridden of them

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Froome19 said:
I dont know how to i originally put them up then got rid of them but them i decided to put them back up.

I will try to find smaller ones but i cant guarantee

Send me the link, I'll shrink and re-upload them if you want

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Cunego or Moreno.. Big guns won't budge.. :p On a serious note, difficult to say, if Purito wishes to extract some seconds out of his puncheur skills, he should try as well. Actually, it is one of a few opportunities. Though, anyways I find such a move pretty blear-eyed for the contender for the podium. And yet, that's a good chance to take a stage, probably the most real one.

airstream said:
Cunego or Moreno.. Big guns won't budge.. :p On a serious note, difficult to say, if Purito wishes to extract some seconds out of his puncheur skills, he should try as well. Actually, it is one of a few opportunities. Though, anyways I find such a move pretty blear-eyed for the contender for the podium. And yet, that's a good chance to take a stage, probably the most real one.

Rodriguez won't win here with the 4 km flat and he's not good in a flat sprint.

I think Cunego will ace this ( Lampre will be able to set him and Scarponi up ) because Malori will ( probably )lose the pink on stage 7. Also it would not suit Lampre anyways to have to pull for the Pink Jersey so early anyways.

The best i think JROD can do on this stage is force a gap on the early parts then cling on for dear life near the end. At least that way he might distance some GC contenders.