• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Giro dÂ’italia May 13 Stage 8: Sulmona- Lago Laceno

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 1, 2011
Visit site
Ryder was only "in trouble" because he had to chase back to the front after the mechanical. Pretty sure that took a bit out of him so no reason to fret just yet.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
The problem though, is that I cannot comprehend the high expectations of Slagter doing a good GC. He has never really showed - admittedly, through lack of opportunity - that his recovery is good enough to contest for a high GC placing, let alone in a GT. People should just let the guy ride out the Giro and assess his performance afterwards.

He lost 57s on the first stage ending with a genuine climb in what's only the first week of a GT. For someone who is said to have climbing abilities, that's just disappointing and has very little to do with anyone's expectations about his GT performance.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
krismtb said:
Ryder was only "in trouble" because he had to chase back to the front after the mechanical. Pretty sure that took a bit out of him so no reason to fret just yet.

It wasn't him that had mechanical. It was Stetina ;)

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
DominicDecoco said:
I don't want ****ty to win it. That's for sure. Insane 1-2 QPR.!!!!

Sorry for OT but what a last round! I'm screaming for myself here.

Oh cause as a United fan before 2nd goal i was absolutely petrified, certainly not excited.

Anyway. GC
1 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin - Barracuda
2 Joaquim Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Katusha Team 0:00:09
3 Paolo Tiralongo (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:15
4 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Astana Pro Team 0:00:35
5 Benat Intxausti Elorriaga (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:35
6 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:00:40
7 Frank Schleck (Lux) RadioShack-Nissan 0:00:48
8 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Lampre - ISD 0:00:54

Looking at it you have to fancy Frank for a podium position.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
It's hard not to like little Domenico. If his form is as good as it looks then the other GC riders are in trouble.

Liquigas very impressive too. Four riders in the first group!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
The problem though, is that I cannot comprehend the high expectations of Slagter doing a good GC. He has never really showed - admittedly, through lack of opportunity - that his recovery is good enough to contest for a high GC placing, let alone in a GT. People should just let the guy ride out the Giro and assess his performance afterwards.

I don't think there is much expectation, it's more of an interest thing. I'm interested to see how he can do with a free role. his numbers are up, clearly progressing as a rider, interest is normal.

Eshnar said:
How couldn't Assisi develop the same way? It's just an uphill finish...

A technical one, not exactly Basso's cup of tea

ukm_10.jpg

Besides it's pretty much clear to me Slagter doesn't have the same sort of skill as Kruijswijk (or Mollema, let stand Gesink).

He might be one of those slow developing riders, we don't know.
Look at Nibali's first 3/4 GT's they were nowhere near as good as Contador or Schleck, he was like 21th in the Giro or something

whittashau said:
It's hard not to like little Domenico. If his form is as good as it looks then the other GC riders are in trouble.

Liquigas very impressive too. Four riders in the first group!

Pozzovivo is flying, this year.
Haven't seen a CSF rider look so good on the climbs, since Sella, back in the 2008 Giro.
Domenico was also pretty useful in that edition, as well.

He could well cause a major upset,

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Besides it's pretty much clear to me Slagter doesn't have the same sort of skill as Kruijswijk (or Mollema, let stand Gesink).

Look at Nibali's first 3/4 GT's they were nowhere near as good as Contador or Schleck, he was like 21th in the Giro or something

Do you really think he could become a GC rider?

From what he has shown i would have supposed he would be more a hill rider.
We will see by stage 14 but I think his best results will come where the climbing isnt all that long.

Mellow Velo said:
Pozzovivo is flying, this year.
Haven't seen a CSF rider look so good on the climbs, since Sella, back in the 2008 Giro.
Domenico was also pretty useful in that edition, as well.

He could well cause a major upset,
Domenico's always been great on the climbs, through Tirreno, Coppi e Bartali, Settimana Lombarda, Trentino, Apennino, then at the Giro he always seems to get ill, injured or crash in the early stages, and in 2010 and 2011 he didn't even make it to the mountains that should be his playground. This year he was pretty good at Tirreno, then less stellar at Coppi e Bartali, before coming in winning Trentino, maybe he's got the peak slightly later so he's not over his best form (which was especially the case in 2010) when the Giro comes around; or maybe it's just that with milder weather and being able to get to the end of week 1 incident free he's in much better shape. It'll be interesting to see if he holds this form through the rest of the race for sure. The only time he's ever really done that was 2008, but to be fair to him then he was able to just bury himself in the group because everybody was busy chasing Baliani, Sella and Pérez Cuapio all over the mountains; Domenico didn't get into the attack groups in that, just stayed on the down-low until the last climb of the day each time.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Wasn't Nibali riding for Di Luca and Pellizotti in his first GT and then he rode both the Giro and Tour in 08. In the first GT he rode for himself he finished 7th at the tour.