• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 transfers...which team improved the most?

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
There have been some dramatic changes in some of the professional teams as they head into 2012. Quick Step and Rabo seem to have been most active along with the dynamic changes involving the Radio-Leopard-Trek team. Other teams seemed to stand pat...I assume the thinking is that their prospects look good enough...or they're counting on the addition of their younger riders making an impact (i.e: Peter Sagan, Liquigas).
I'm mainly interested in your opinions regarding how the teams will do in the Spring Classics and the TDF. Which teams made the best moves...which the worst?
Personally, I think Quick Step/Lotto will be much improved with better results in the spring and the TDF. Saxo didn't do much over the summer, but did they need to with Alberto returning?
Let's keep this at a discussion (not ranting) level.
Quixote
Senior Member 0.5

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
BMC, OPQS and Sky. Radioshack Nissan Leopard Trek don't really count as there's no-one really new.

With those four, you're looking at a potential 'big four' (to use a Premiership football term). Those four certainly seem to be the big players (although I'm not sold on OPQS, and Rabobank and maybe Liquigas and Garmin can still mix it with those teams over a season)

Movistar.

They've gone from being a downtrodden team who have been repeatedly kicked for most of the year, with disaster after disaster befalling them, to the team of Alejandro Valverde.

In all seriousness though, OPQS. BMC may have been paper-thin in terms of depth, but they were able to bring home the bacon. Sky look strong more because of the sudden developments of people they already had than the transfer policy, as most of Sky's transfers have been about picking up solid and strong backup rather than team leaders, though of course there is a Mark Cavendish-sized elephant (admittedly a very small elephant) in the room. Quick Step had a very disappointing year, but their roster for next year looks insanely strong.

A

Anonymous

ingsve said:
Too soon to tell. I'd have to see more complete and confirmed teams first. I'll answer in december.

ditto

but for now, most improved team. Greenedge

Team Sky, assuming you know what.

Other than that they got what is probably the biggest gt prodigy around, and a few other good riders like Richie Porte.

BMC by getting Gilbert have doubled their talent pool and I await to see what type of rider Hushovd will be next year.

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Team Sky, assuming you know what.

Other than that they got what is probably the biggest gt prodigy around, and a few other good riders like Richie Porte.

BMC by getting Gilbert have doubled their talent pool and I await to see what type of rider Hushovd will be next year.

Do you mean Henao, Uran or Froome?! Presumably not Kennaugh...

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Movistar.

They've gone from being a downtrodden team who have been repeatedly kicked for most of the year, with disaster after disaster befalling them, to the team of Alejandro Valverde.

But will he return the same rider? That's the big question. For every Basso and Millar, there's a DiLuca and Kashechkin.

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's pretty obvious really isn't it? The 3-4 teams which have sucked every rider in to their team and made it harder for all the other teams to do anything.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
BMC Racing Team....2012 will be year of domination for BMC! :)

you said that last year ;)

I still dont understand, why despite your strong stance you still support Phonak mkII

Mambo95 said:
But will he return the same rider? That's the big question. For every Basso and Millar, there's a DiLuca and Kashechkin.

I expect LS's response to be almost identical to the one he has posted pretty much everytime Pitis name has come up since June 2010;)

Libertine Seguros said:
Let's not forget, also, that most of those guys were racing up until the point of being caught doping, so theoretically (of course, and with the danger of getting this post removed or transferred to the Clinic) they would have been at a relatively high level of doping (enough to get caught) right up until the moment they were suspended, hence took a while to adapt to the péloton at that same level again.

Valverde's case is different. The doping in question (in the form of the bag) dated all the way back to 2004. As he was closely monitored in the interim period between being linked to Puerto and being suspended, there's a good chance that his amount of doping was lower, more subtle, or absent entirely for a while before his suspension began. And hence he could theoretically re-enter the sport at the same level of preparation, and not take as long to readjust to the péloton's pace.

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I expect LS's response to be almost identical to the one he has posted pretty much everytime Pitis name has come up since June 2010;)

you know you are spending too much time in here when you are able to answer for other people :D

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Forgive him. He's of the generation that saw great exploits by riders with 50+ HCT and compares them to today's stars.

I suppose that's why he hates sprinters. Despite being tested the most, they hardly ever test positive. They are not taking enough 'panache' for his liking.

(Sorry, if you're a girl LS for calling you 'he')

Mambo95 said:

Given that Valverde's offences dated back to 2006, and his performances leading up to the ban weren't more obviously doped than any others, I'm relatively optimistic about his ability to become the same rider he was.

It's just how long it takes to find that form again - three months? Six months? A year? After all, Basso got two GT top 5s, but mostly anonymously, before the 2010 Giro win, and Vino withdrew from the '09 Vuelta in humiliating form before storming back to win a monument and feature in two GT GCs in 2010. Di Luca was getting old when he came back anyway.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Given that Valverde's offences dated back to 2006, and his performances leading up to the ban weren't more obviously doped than any others, I'm relatively optimistic about his ability to become the same rider he was.

It's just how long it takes to find that form again - three months? Six months? A year? After all, Basso got two GT top 5s, but mostly anonymously, before the 2010 Giro win, and Vino withdrew from the '09 Vuelta in humiliating form before storming back to win a monument and feature in two GT GCs in 2010. Di Luca was getting old when he came back anyway.

The thing is some get it back better than others (and some turn over a new leaf and some don't). There are no guarantees. And then there's the matter of how much of Valverde's talent was his, and how much was Dr Fuentes's.

We will see. But I doubt we'll see the 'full' Valverde again.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Forgive him. He's of the generation that saw great exploits by riders with 50+ HCT and compares them to today's stars.

I suppose that's why he hates sprinters. Despite being tested the most, they hardly ever test positive. They are not taking enough 'panache' for his liking.

(Sorry, if you're a girl LS for calling you 'he')

Only one sprinter gets tested these days.

daveinzambia said:
you know you are spending too much time in here when you are able to answer for other people :D

It gets sadder yet. I could give you the response of a few others from this forum to that question.

El Pistolero said:
Movistar gain nothing. Gilbert will drop Valverde on La Redoute, and Contador will beat him by 10 minutes.

Gilber Gilbert Gilbert.

Jens Attacks said:
thanks god that i'll be able to see the el imbatido riding again.with all these bullshiet going around,cycling stars cannot find teams and so on i was really scared that the magnificent vuelta 2009 was valverdes last battle. goddamn good news!

Ive said it a million times the cycling 2006 golden age is coming back

Tour podium
1 Killer
2 Basso
3 Valverde.

DAOTEC said:
I dont think so.

Sorry to correct you.

Valverde will sign with Greenedge. :eek:

0023.gif

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Credit to BMC, still no way a super team.
Sky are looking good.
Movistar really are such a better them with piti amongst the ranks. Amongst some other impressive signings also.
Quickstep complete turn around.
And you would assume that the leo-rsh merger would make a stronger team, but it is filled with such.... somehow you feel they will mess it up.

other teams also looking good with a emphasis on youth

Greendege can't be the most improved if they have to improve from.

QuickStep stand out quite a bit as most improved. BMC have brought in some new very good leaders but the squad still looks lopsided despite them clearing out some deadwood.Sky have obviously done quite well too.
Radioshack is pretty much just Leopard plus a few old guys and domestiques so I wouldn't say they've improved much.

Libertine Seguros said:
The Hitch's amazing memory means he will also be able to tell you that I was born on or after May 9, 1982.

Frighteningly close to tibbs's b-day, there, LS.

I certainly hope OPQS produces the goods, because OP lends itself so well to over powered.

Also, Hog, you're killing me. Will all respect to the other forum members, those are pretty damn good.

EDIT: Haha cool avatar, timmy. I've obviously missed a LOT in the past few months.