• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Vuelta a España: Stage 4:Barakaldo-Estación de Valdezcaray 160.6 Km

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mellow Velo said:
I'm surprised you even try.
Where would they be without Sky to chew on and not having see the race?;)

Two riders touch wheels and cause a bit of a pile up, when race tempo suddenly changes.
Shocking. Who'd have tough?
It's the same old same old that we have, every other sprint finish.

What do you think of Niki Terpstra, he's the most independent. Rider from third team, without GC aspirations or anything. He was close to the action and says Sky crashed into Movistar.

Note: I am actually enjoying this. There should be a bit of hate and such in the peloton. Will be interesting next few days. But you can't say: Danny Pate says this so that's it. He's as biased as the pope when he says condoms don't work.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Arnout said:
What do you think of Niki Terpstra, he's the most independent. Rider from third team, without GC aspirations or anything. He was close to the action and says Sky crashed into Movistar.

Note: I am actually enjoying this. There should be a bit of hate and such in the peloton. Will be interesting next few days. But you can't say: Danny Pate says this so that's it. He's as biased as the pope when he says condoms don't work.

Sky distanced Valverde but about 1 min but, ye, that might be an expensive minute since there might be some payback later on.

But hey, atleast the stage wasnt dull and we got something to talk about :D

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Arnout said:

But you're allowed to say "Valverde (and his teammates) says this so that's it."?

May 19, 2011
Visit site
No_Balls said:
I saw that. But apperently AC saw something we couldnt (and i dont think it was Froomes strange behavior on a bike since he must have learned it by now).

I agree, but I think fatigue can still be judged from bike position and pedaling fluidity even for CF such styleless rider:D

But never be fooled by alien CF, in the tour there is moment everyone though he was gone, he crawled back and put a little unexpected attack. Should still be fresh on everyone's mind.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
The point is,movistar should of been on the front,its not like we havent seen echelon attacks before.
Wether sky caused crash or didnt is irrelevant you have red jersey,you dictate in dangerous/challenging situations.

btw seen crash cpl of times now didnt see sky crashing into anyone.Maybe im going blind but looked like a leakygas and saxo(sorenson?) touched wheels and went down

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
I'm surprised you even try.
Where would they be without Sky to chew on and not having see the race?;)

Two riders touch wheels and cause a bit of a pile up, when race tempo suddenly changes.
Shocking. Who'd have tough?
It's the same old same old that we have, every other sprint finish.

You Brits sure like to play the victim and pretend the world is out to get you.

djlovesyou said:
But you're allowed to say "Valverde (and his teammates) says this so that's it."?

No, that's the same. The point is that there are independent guys with an opinion. Hansen for example, although he crashed himself, so he will be annoyed and might be biased. Terpstra, as mentioned, is the most independent first-rate source we might find and he says Sky crashed into Movistar.

So that's at least reason for discussion, ain't it?

Publicus said:
Or AC is just tweaking Froome a little. Either way, we'll know if Froome has the legs (or AC for that matter) soon enough.

Yup. AC can talk a little as he has enough of a back catalogue people won't call him out if he fails.

If Froome said a word (and he clearly won't) it would be hanging over him if he achieved anything other than a trouble free win.

The Sheep said:
You Brits sure like to play the victim and pretend the world is out to get you.

True, I noticed this a lot in the Tour. Even though they were 1-2 they were always very frustrated with the rest of the world. Weird.

Note that I actually cheered for Sky during this stage, when they pulled on. I'm just interested in what happened, factually.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
No_Balls said:
I saw that. But apperently AC saw something we couldnt (and i dont think it was Froomes strange behavior on a bike since he must have learned it by now).

I agree, but I think fatigue can still be judged from bike position and pedaling fluidity even for CF such styleless rider.:D

But never be fooled by alien CF, in the tour there is moment everyone though he was gone, he crawled back and put a little unexpected attack. Should still be fresh on everyone's mind.:eek:

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Yup. AC can talk a little as he has enough of a back catalogue people won't call him out if he fails.

If Froome said a word (and he clearly won't) it would be hanging over him if he achieved anything other than a trouble free win.

But then again Alberto is always very careful about what he says especially when it comes to opponents and his own form.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Just seen the interview with Unzue - he specifically blames Flecha for causing the crash.

Seeing as Flecha was right at the front, a long way clear of where the crash occured, it feels like his argument is that Sky caused the crash by trying to form eschelons, which is clearly nonsense.

Combined with the actual video evidence, this feels like emotional people looking for a satisfying target to blame - I can't blame them for it to be honest, but the people round here trying to treat cycling like WWE probably need to find a new hobby.

The only argument which holds any water against Sky is if they actually caused the crash through a specific dangerous move. Keeping going is not a problem given the number of times Movistar have done exactly that to other riders this season. Trying to form eschelons is no more of a dangerous manoeuver than attacking on a descent, which was how Movistar induced Levi's crash in PN (by their causal logic...).

Yeah Flecha was clearly at the front. Problem I have is Adam Hanson's comments make it pretty clear that it was a Sky move that precipitated events. Even then I don't know how realistic it is that Sky would sit up. Someone really needs to write down and elaborate on these unwritten rules of cycling. :rolleyes:

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:

Sounds a little bit nervous to me. Given that he had Navarro jump out first and then he followed a little bit later, I get the impression he intended putting Froome at least under a little bit of pressure today.

Simple fact is that he didn't.

It'll be different later on I'm sure. Can't see AC losing this.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
T-Nielsen said:
I like the whole, we did not know Valverde was down - stick, because I never knew Stannard was blind on BOTH eyes. :p

Oh it makes sense now. The blindness was the reason they crashed the others but didnt realise they did it and didnt see the leader was down ;)

Waterloo Sunrise said:
The only argument which holds any water against Sky is if they actually caused the crash through a specific dangerous move. Keeping going is not a problem given the number of times Movistar have done exactly that to other riders this season. Trying to form eschelons is no more of a dangerous manoeuver than attacking on a descent, which was how Movistar induced Levi's crash in PN (by their causal logic...).

I really love this argument. As if their is some sort of excuse for themselves to deliberately creating a crash and then push like there is no tomorrow to gain time. All based on Moviestars whereabouts this season. There were others in the crash too.

How difference a year and a couple of victories makes

Waterloo Sunrise said:

Let's not give him his wings just yet. ;) Froome has been talking already. See his comments about wasting energy on the sprintb onus. Not paying attention to AC's attacks (or something to that effect) on Arrate (just riding his race). All design to give the impression that AC is either worried or doesn't phase him--which IMO is his attempt to tweak AC.

djlovesyou said:
Sounds a little bit nervous to me. Given that he had Navarro jump out first and then he followed a little bit later, I get the impression he intended putting Froome at least under a little bit of pressure today.

Simple fact is that he didn't.

It'll be different later on I'm sure. Can't see AC losing this.

My theory: He saw Froome wasn't that good, tried to test him a little, if he'd gotten a gap he'd ridden on, but there's no need to put in a huge attack on such a crappy climb which isn't gonna create big gaps anyway. Oh, if only the climb had been Bola del Mundo or Cuitu Negru..

TRENDING THREADS