• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Vuelta. The Return of the King.

Page 53 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Sky team looks fairly similar to the one that raced in Poland where they seemed to be riding very aggressively. It was strange switching over the TV from the TdF where they were negating the attacks/excitement, to the ToP where Henao, Stannard and LPN all seemed to be in the action and enlivening the race.

So fingers crossed that Sky Mk. 2 turn up.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Nordhaug has been in super form, which was apparent in Poland, he worked like crazy for Henao. Henao, Uran, & Nordhaug are going to make the race very entertaining. I highly doubt we will see a train like we did in the TDF. With the exception of Froome, this could be an entirely different team. Uran & Henao are attacking riders, they are not big diesels like Porte & Rodgers.

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
roundabout said:
I love you too, sweetie.

So, is Contador Wiggins now? Or why does he need so many "climbers"?

And Vino attacks everyone, no complaining now if Contador doesn't get the "expected" support, his helpers "peaked".

images

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:
Why the insult?

He was responding to a poster who said it was hard for anyone to compete with Saxo's climbing domestiques. That's absurd and he pointed out the 3 Sky boys as a means to dismiss that point. I agree with him. They are not going to be exactly quaking in their boots at the thought of Navarro and Hernandez. I think they will sleep well at night.

Only fair to assume, but I think we get something else to see.
Both Navarro and Jesus have in the past showed they were capable of splitting the Peloton down to 10 - 15 riders on the climbs, and Majka showed he was able to follow Contador and the rest of the favourites on the last climb, though he had a missable season so far, but I hope to see him back at his best.

gooner said:
Why the insult?

He was responding to a poster who said it was hard for anyone to compete with Saxo's climbing domestiques. That's absurd and he pointed out the 3 Sky boys as a means to dismiss that point. I agree with him. They are not going to be exactly quaking in their boots at the thought of Navarro and Hernandez. I think they will sleep well at night.

I think so too. It's not like Contador relies on a train a la US Postal. That's never been his thing before, so I don't see why it would be his thing now. And in my opinion, Danny hasn't really delivered the goods in a couple of seasons (since 2010 TdF) and Sweet Baby Jesus almost never does (he's usually gone long before the penultimate climb, except in the rarest of situations). I wouldn't be surprised if Contador's final domestique was Majka--though he really has suffered from a lacking race kilometers.

first time since billyhazardia leader of the team,froomy vs contador full of rage

thil will be a festival of attacks.lots of kerosene to be left on the tarmac of northern spain after this vuelta

oh,can't wait!

i hope cobo and quintana will strike too

and kash.i'll never give up on him

vuelta can't lose the chance to be the most spectacular grand tour of this year.for me,le tour was pretty much great.vuelta can be awesome

jens_attacks said:
first time since billyhazardia leader of the team,froomy vs contador full of rage

thil will be a festival of attacks.lots of kerosene to be left on the tarmac of northern spain after this vuelta

oh,can't wait!

i hope cobo and quintana will strike too

and kash.i'll never give up on him

vuelta can't lose the chance to be the most spectacular grand tour of this year.for me,le tour was pretty much great.vuelta can be awesome

I am not the only one? great! :p

gooner said:
Why the insult?

Yeah I was completely serious :rolleyes:

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
a podium is definitely in his sight

he even stayed with cadel on peyresourde :)...all good.kash is coming

max wins LBL
vino wins olympics
kash takes 3rd place in vuelta a espana and wins a stage

:p

Honestly I think this race is to tough for him, to much steep uphills for the kasack.

No way Chris Froom is gonna win this Vuelta! Podium yes, but he will fail in the last mountains stages like Sastre & Evans did in the past with the Tour in their legs( Otherwise Froome would be on one step with Robo Basso)!

Contador lacks racing kilometres. I expect him to be much weaker than in past grand tours, like other riders in the 1st grand tour since suspension (Vinokourov, Basso, Scarponi). It could be still enough to win this bike race, sure.

At least this could really turn out to be Robert Gesink finally winning a grand tour. If he is able to stay on his bike and is in shape, he should be in state to match up with Contador this one time!

The big questionmark is still Cobo of course.

But I take the risk to put my money at Rob, besides all skepticism!
His squad seems to be a strong one as well (Altough I would prefer Barredo to be in instead of Garate). So I have some trust.

staubsauger said:
No way Chris Froom is gonna win this Vuelta! Podium yes, but he will fail in the last mountains stages like Sastre & Evans did in the past with the Tour in their legs( Otherwise Froome would be on one step with Robo Basso)!

Contador lacks racing kilometres. I expect him to be much weaker than in past grand tours, like other riders in the 1st grand tour since suspension (Vinokourov, Basso, Scarponi). It could be still enough to win this bike race, sure.

At least this could really turn out to be Robert Gesink finally winning a grand tour. If he is able to stay on his bike and is in shape, he should be in state to match up with Contador this one time!

The big questionmark is still Cobo of course.

But I take the risk to put my money at Rob, besides all skepticism!
His squad seems to be a strong one as well (Altough I would prefer Barredo to be in instead of Garate). So I have some trust.

yea about that. Where is Barredo? Has he done anything this year?