• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Vuelta. The Return of the King.

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
roundabout said:
Yes, Henao, Uran and Nordhaug will find it hard against Navarro, Hernandez and Majka.

Lol.

Pires has showed some good form. Danny should give sky problems if he can find his 2010 Tour level.

But anyways, I think ppl have ssen to much Tour de France anno 2012. Bertie dont need a sky-like team to drag him to victory. Also Froome is an attacking rider (at least more than Wiggo) so I predict some mano a mano duels where all the helpers are gone. Might start out equal, but when u get to the 2nd half of the Vuelta Contador will eat them all alive (pun intended)

staubsauger said:
No way Chris Froom is gonna win this Vuelta! Podium yes, but he will fail in the last mountains stages like Sastre & Evans did in the past with the Tour in their legs( Otherwise Froome would be on one step with Robo Basso)!

Contador lacks racing kilometres. I expect him to be much weaker than in past grand tours, like other riders in the 1st grand tour since suspension (Vinokourov, Basso, Scarponi). It could be still enough to win this bike race, sure.
At least this could really turn out to be Robert Gesink finally winning a grand tour. If he is able to stay on his bike and is in shape, he should be in state to match up with Contador this one time!

The big questionmark is still Cobo of course.

But I take the risk to put my money at Rob, besides all skepticism!
His squad seems to be a strong one as well (Altough I would prefer Barredo to be in instead of Garate). So I have some trust.

I think unlike the three you listed, Contador has only been effectively banned for 6 months as opposed to two years or more in their case, so I don't expect him to be much weaker. In fact, he has TWO grand tours in his legs from the past 12 months (Giro and Tdf 2011), which I think is the issue that impacted the other riders (year or more with no grand tour in the legs). So lack of race miles will be an issue, but I don't think it will be a dispositive one.

Publicus said:
I think unlike the three you listed, Contador has only been effectively banned for 6 months as opposed to two years or more in their case, so I don't expect him to be much weaker. In fact, he has TWO grand tours in his legs from the past 12 months (Giro and Tdf 2011), which I think is the issue that impacted the other riders (year or more with no grand tour in the legs). So lack of race miles will be an issue, but I don't think it will be a dispositive one.

Yeah and we also have to compare the mentality of the riders going into their basn.

Basso - vafangul im out for 2 years. Cycling will be very different when i come back.
Scarponi - vafangul im out for 2 years. Maybe when i come back i can one day win some amazing race like Coppa Sabattini.
Vino - putainnnn merde. Vino end carier. Say goodbye to Vino.

Contador-
**** yall, I am going to win my first gt back.
i am going to recon every stage of that gt 50 times.
I will spent the days not reconning the stage in training camps, and the nights picking riders for that gt. People will abandon the Tour in order to help me in that gt.
I will be on daily communication with my trainers, my swimming coaches and my ds.
My life for the next 6 months revolves around winning that gt.

You have to factor this in. The other guys were entering their first gt just to see what they could do, how cycling had changed since they had left. Contador goes in having already won 2 races this season, possibly might jus could win 1 or 2 more, and knowing exactly what to expect.
THe others entered to observe. Contador comes to compete.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
You've got to love Sky. Even there B team is insanely strong, most World Tour teams would love to have those riders. Im hoping Sky just go crazy in the mountains and unleash Uran, Henao and Froomey to attack at will. Wont happen, but would be cool as ****! :D

No GT this year for Lovkvist? He cant be happy with that surely.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Contador-
**** yall, I am going to win my first gt back.
i am going to recon every stage of that gt 50 times.
I will spent the days not reconning the stage in training camps, and the nights picking riders for that gt. People will abandon the Tour in order to help me in that gt.
I will be on daily communication with my trainers, my swimming coaches and my ds.
My life for the next 6 months revolves around winning that gt.

Lol, nice. :D

Contador will dominate most likely. However you cant discount Froome, everytime you think he's about to crack he hits the front. He will be Contadors biggest test since Andy in 2010 Tour.

The Cobra said:
Lol, nice. :D

Contador will dominate most likely. However you cant discount Froome, everytime you think he's about to crack he hits the front. He will be Contadors biggest test since Andy in 2010 Tour.

LOL. It will be hard to hit the front when Alberto is dancing his stuff about half a klik up ahead.

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
staubsauger said:
No way Chris Froom is gonna win this Vuelta! Podium yes, but he will fail in the last mountains stages like Sastre & Evans did in the past with the Tour in their legs( Otherwise Froome would be on one step with Robo Basso)!

Contador lacks racing kilometres. I expect him to be much weaker than in past grand tours, like other riders in the 1st grand tour since suspension (Vinokourov, Basso, Scarponi). It could be still enough to win this bike race, sure.

At least this could really turn out to be Robert Gesink finally winning a grand tour. If he is able to stay on his bike and is in shape, he should be in state to match up with Contador this one time!

The big questionmark is still Cobo of course.

But I take the risk to put my money at Rob, besides all skepticism!
His squad seems to be a strong one as well (Altough I would prefer Barredo to be in instead of Garate). So I have some trust.

Gesink is never gonna win a GT, amazing ppl keep believing that.

:rolleyes: If Hesjedal can win the Giro, than Gesink can win a GT

Did you forget his Vuelta 09 level? He wasn't 6th because he was only 6th strongest. He was 6th because he was 2nd strongest, arguable as strong as Valverde uphill, and had to finish the last mt stage + time trial with a giant hole in his knee... Back then he was just 23.

Gesink has the level to win a Giro or Vuelta when Contador/Schleck are absent.

Dekker_Tifosi said:

The last four Grand Tours have been won by riders who were, on the face of it, riders people could quite confidently have said "he'll never win a GT" about! And not been regarded as idiots for saying it. Evans who had blown his chances and was older than any Tour winner. Hesjedal, who had never been a GT contender before. Wiggins, who spent most of his career in the grupetto. Cobo!

Gesink is absolutely capable of winning a GT. It's just that all of the stars must be correctly aligned. He needs a moderate to weak field, he needs his best form and he needs to stay on his bike. It may be that he never gets this, but if he does, he can win.

Dekker_Tifosi said:

Did you forget his Vuelta 09 level? He wasn't 6th because he was only 6th strongest. He was 6th because he was 2nd strongest, arguable as strong as Valverde uphill, and had to finish the last mt stage + time trial with a giant hole in his knee... Back then he was just 23.

Gesink has the level to win a Giro or Vuelta when Contador/Schleck are absent.

Many people said for years that Evans would never win a grand tour or at least a Tour especially after 2009 and 2010. Gesink is a much better TT rider than Schleck and can do well in the mountains. At his best I think he could beat Schleck. The trouble is he is always riding wounded from falls etc....I don't remember anyone picking Hesjedal to win the Giro. He has always been a good rider and has a seventh place in the Tour.

I think if Gesink can get to a Giro without injuries or falls in the race, he can at least podium and if the route suits him, possibly win. Rodriguez is another who has never really performed in grand tours but his second in the last Giro was a great ride and he also rode a much better TT. They just need to be consistent over three weeks and often riders like Kreuziger and others can't manage it which is why they struggle to make the podium. I would never have picked the three riders on the podium in the last Giro but they showed it can be done. One solid season for Gesink without illness and bad luck is all he needs to get back on track and also help his confidence. Two years ago no one would have picked Wiggins to win the Tour either. Gesink is at least the equal of VDB and I thought he had a pretty good Tour. I know Gesink can improve but he has to start doing it soon with some of the younger riders also starting to improve.

Vino attacks everyone said:
some young spanish guy, perhaps Landa?

Nothing like froome did last year ofc, but something like Pinot in this years tour would be great

Quintana is more likely, allthough for most of us that wouldn't really be a suprise.
For the more 'regular' cycling fans he will most definately be a suprise.

Zinoviev Letter said:
The last four Grand Tours have been won by riders who were, on the face of it, riders people could quite confidently have said "he'll never win a GT" about! And not been regarded as idiots for saying it. Evans who had blown his chances and was older than any Tour winner. Hesjedal, who had never been a GT contender before. Wiggins, who spent most of his career in the grupetto. Cobo!

Gesink is absolutely capable of winning a GT. It's just that all of the stars must be correctly aligned. He needs a moderate to weak field, he needs his best form and he needs to stay on his bike. It may be that he never gets this, but if he does, he can win.

So, Gesink can not win a GT by himself, he needs a lot of "if". And the most important, stay on his bike.. not in every crash that happen. with his bad luck.. he can start a GT alone and will not finish it.