• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Critérium du Dauphiné Stage 5: Grésy-sur-Aix Valmorel (139 km)

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What Will Contador do in this Stage

• DNS or DNF.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
burning said:
Pantani tried that against USPS, we all know how it ended in the end :eek:
(Sure, Lance cracked but Pantani completely lost everything)

We also saw Pantani successfully break Ullrich in 97 with an early move and Contador broke JRod last year with an early attack (still remember JRod saying "cycling won", eventhough he was the loser). Even Andy did a similar move, and eventhough he didn't win the Tour in the end he won an epic stage.

Its risky as hell, but when it can turn the table around completely turn the table. Its really beautiful to see riders try, even when they fail. The big risk associated with it is what makes it epic.

Cimber said:
We also saw Pantani successfully break Ullrich in 97 with an early move and Contador broke JRod last year with an early attack (still remember JRod saying "cycling won", eventhough he was the loser). Even Andy did a similar move, and eventhough he didn't win the Tour in the end he won an epic stage.

Its risky as hell, but when it can turn the table around completely turn the table. Its really beautiful to see riders try, even when they fail. The big risk associated with it is what makes it epic.

Well Sky will have quite a lot people to control the long distance move and the route is not hard enough to put Sky riders in difficulty throughout the 3 weeks, given the fact that there are 9-12 sprints and OPQS, Cannondale and Argos will certainly pull in those stages

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Leo has been unlucky today when he crashed at the beginning of the final climb and had to chase first group. There he lost lot of energy and it cost him better result. According to official Netapp page.
What a shame :( He'd be there with the best otherwise, I think. But still he did well.

Poursuivant said:
I actually think a long distance attack may be a good idea, a la Scleck TOUR 2011, Contador Vuelta 2012.

This would be great to watch however it would only work if Froome was isolated, it would take a very strange turn of events and mistakes from Sky for him to be in that position 50k's out. Sky would probably have at least 4-5 riders to chase down any gap with that distance to go.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
burning said:
Well Sky will have quite a lot people to control the long distance move and the route is not hard enough to put Sky riders in difficulty throughout the 3 weeks, given the fact that there are 9-12 sprints and OPQS, Cannondale and Argos will certainly pull in those stages

Of course it will be difficult. Such moves always are. But if Contador is trailing towards the end of the race he can and will give it a go. He is a guy who is never happy with 2nd place.

I remember after this years LBL Nicki Sørensen was a bit annoyed with Contador. He told Contador he should wait with his attack because then he would finish in top 5. Contador said "I am not here to finish top 5". With that guys its always all or nothing. He rather finish 30th and have tried to win than conservatively finishing 2nd. I think that is essentially why I like the guy. Always all or nothing.

JRanton said:
How bad was the TV production today by the way?

Terrible. No disrespect to Busche but when Froome is bridging up to Contador you stay with that camera. It also took about 5km into the climb before we got a proper look a the main group and there was no coverage of the guys getting dropped either...

+100000000000 terrible camera work.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
This would be great to watch however it would only work if Froome was isolated, it would take a very strange turn of events and mistakes from Sky for him to be in that position 50k's out. Sky would probably have at least 4-5 riders to chase down any gap with that distance to go.

Or Contdor could have ppl up the road, it could be raining with wet descents etc etc. Its a very difficult move to make but if it comes down to it I am pretty sure Contador will try, even if its very difficult to do against Sky

Cimber said:
Of course it will be difficult. Such moves always are. But if Contador is trailing towards the end of the race he can and will give it a go. He is a guy who is never happy with 2nd place.

I remember after this years LBL Nicki Sørensen was a bit annoyed with Contador. He told Contador he should wait with his attack because then he would finish in top 5. Contador said "I am not here to finish top 5". With that guys its always all or nothing. He rather finish 30th and have tried to win than conservatively finishing 2nd. I think that is essentially why I like the guy. Always all or nothing.

I think the best opportunity is to go full gas on 1st Alpe with 1-2 teammates in the break, I dont have any hope about that sort of move though :eek:

Cimber said:
Or Contdor could have ppl up the road, it could be raining with wet descents etc etc. Its a very difficult move to make but if it comes down to it I am pretty sure Contador will try, even if its very difficult to do against Sky

No doubt Contador would at least try, if he can't put time into Froome over the mountains then he will give it a go any way he can. Sky will have to keep there eyes and ears open to every little possibility.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
pastronef said:
I never saw these two words together in this forum :p so I really do hope he and Jani can go well at the Tour

Well tbh I cant really get negatively surprised by him since I expect absolutely nothing from him :D

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
You know it was an easy stage in a prep race, if Fuglsang does anything of note.

Haha quoted for truth.

Actually he was promising in his first year as a pro, especially in Dauphiné to be frank (he and Gesink were attacking a lot). Since then its only gone one way.

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Cimber said:

yea, that is why he makes it fun! Also why it is entertaining at times listening to the commentators calling a race with Contador, especially if they don't understand that about him - well it can also be lol, too because the commentary is so wrong :D or Contador looks like he is going slow when he's not and they start making dire predictions about how bad he is going...

Fuglsang is well on the road to clash with the Dawg and Velasco at the Tour.

In this photo they're scrubbing his face for a beauty mask. You know the podium requires preparation.

Post_Danmark_Rundt__637618y.jpg