• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

• Other/Garzelli

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
theyoungest said:
Nibali is always fairly unspectacular, but he's also quite consistent, and he knows how to save energy in a three week race. He has also shown steady progression whereas Gesink's progress has been halted and, in my view, set back by the legbreak. In the only "real" mountain stage of the Vuelta with multiple cols you could see Gesink suffered like hell, and he was dropped really early, from a 20 man group. To the "old" Gesink this would never have happened. And the Giro has more stages like this.

Nibali is not that explosive at all. Gesink used to be better on hills than him.

But nowhere do I say that Nibali will be the main contender... I think Hesjedal and Wiggins have an equal or bigger chance.

When all is said and done I thought Nibali's ride in the Tour was impressive. It remains to be seen in 2013 whether he will continue on the same level or improve again but I agree that he will have to be at his best to have any chance against Ryder and Wiggins. I think the team change will only help him as well. It's hard to line up Ryder against Wiggins or even Nibali. Great win in the Giro but how good was the opposition ? It's hard to compare when the riders don't compete against each other regularly. Although looking at Rodriguez's ride in the Vuelta it becomes even less clear as to which GT had the more impressive performances.

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Nibali is always fairly unspectacular, but he's also quite consistent, and he knows how to save energy in a three week race. He has also shown steady progression whereas Gesink's progress has been halted and, in my view, set back by the legbreak. In the only "real" mountain stage of the Vuelta with multiple cols you could see Gesink suffered like hell, and he was dropped really early, from a 20 man group. To the "old" Gesink this would never have happened. And the Giro has more stages like this.

Nibali is not that explosive at all. Gesink used to be better on hills than him.

But nowhere do I say that Nibali will be the main contender... I think Hesjedal and Wiggins have an equal or bigger chance.

Eshnar said:
If you mean last year, it was 14 kms at 7% or so. Hardly a short climb.

Hmmm... i guess my memory is not that sharp anymore after turning 30 :confused:

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
I haven't read through the entire thread but I'm very surprised Hesjedal has so few votes as defending champion. It took a long time during the race last year before he was taken seriously as a contender, the consensus was he would be ganged up on and crack in the mountains, but he didn't. Am I missing something? Is the parcours particularly ill-suited to him? Or is who he's riding against?

That said, I voted for Wiggins :p

Leendert82 said:
I dont have the feeling that Hesjedal will perform as well as he did last year. He is a capable rider, but some how I see his performance in the Giro as a one off

I think that Garmin's unpredictability could have something to do with it. They do swap leaders around quite often so you don't know who can/will do what. Having said that Hesjedal did top ten at the Tour so I suppose that made him a Giro contender. I wouldn't have picked him to win though.

A factor this year is the lack of options for a GC on that team with the USPS fallout. Pretty much just RH and Dan Martin. Of course maybe Tommy D will come back in peak condition and 'surprise'.

Netserk said:
Does that mean that Angliru isn't a MTF? :eek:

:p

tumblr_mc2lwdeKmu1rsw1yf.gif

taiwan said:
I think that Garmin's unpredictability could have something to do with it. They do swap leaders around quite often so you don't know who can/will do what. Having said that Hesjedal did top ten at the Tour so I suppose that made him a Giro contender. I wouldn't have picked him to win though.

A factor this year is the lack of options for a GC on that team with the USPS fallout. Pretty much just RH and Dan Martin. Of course maybe Tommy D will come back in peak condition and 'surprise'.
Dan Martin isn't a GC rider. But you did forget that little pitbull, name of Andrew T.

And I'm not sure what missing the Mallorca Challenge could do to harm the GC chances of Christian VDV or Tommy D this year.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Dan Martin isn't a GC rider. But you did forget that little pitbull, name of Andrew T.

And I'm not sure what missing the Mallorca Challenge could do to harm the GC chances of Christian VDV or Tommy D this year.
Apparently I'm not up to speed with happenings at Garmin. I won't rule out suicide.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
You didn't know Andrew Talansky?

I knew he was a climb and TT type rider, I didn't know he was one of the best options for a GT already. Also didn't notice/forgot him at the Vuelta, although I did watch a lot of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS