• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

• Other/Garzelli

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
BlenJones2 said:
I'll rephrase it then, I think theyve told more than 9 people that they are in the running for giro selection. Its not gonna totally mess up their seasons and they did it for the tour last year where pate, uran, flecha and xandio were in contention.

no they did not. besides it's so stupid to do because it will make riders get into topshape way too early. rabo used to be very good at this...

Contadoraus Schlecks said:
Uran uran on the Duran again this year? Actually don't know if it's in this year

:mad:

I have stated it for a long time: Uran will be burned by Sky-the team will not embrace his talent to win races, but rather "slave him" to help others. The same sh!t will happen to Henao too.:mad: I hope he either finds a Pro Team willing to give him his rightful place or simply go back to Colombia to Join TC.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:

I have stated it for a long time: Uran will be burned by Sky-the team will not embrace his talent to win races, but rather "slave him" to help others. The same sh!t will happen to Henao too.:mad: I hope he either finds a Pro Team willing to give him his rightful place or simply go back to Colombia to Join TC.

To be fair, henao and uran between them have leadership ahead for a few races, including e Ardennes classics

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
hfer07 said:

I fear Sky will do that to a number of their riders. I hope Henao and Uran move to different teams at the end of the season, they both deserve the chance to be leaders in a grand tours.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
BlenJones2 said:
I get the feeling that they may have told a dozen or so that they are going to the giro and want to create a bit of inter-team competition for places

unlikely, riders build their season around races like il giro. Find it hard to believe a professional outfit like sky would harm so many riders programs merely for "inter-team competition" which isn't even ideal in a team atmosphere.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Ferminal said:
So you'd rather see someone win in a meaningless late breakaway and a large peloton sticking together, than a group of 15 landing at the final climb of the queen stage?

I'd rather see another rider (preferably a GC contender) able to break away and force other riders to chase him and ideally see them counter attack each other. In other words, a real battle in the mountains.
I'd rather see that than see Sky paceline up the entire climb (neutralizing any attacks) and then have a couple guys sprint in the last 200 meters.

And if it is the queen stage than I expect, or would prefer to see, the GC contender to be battling it out, with the climbers attacking and the TTers trying to chase them down. Rather than all of them sticking together while a solo late break rider takes the win and the peloton rides in together.

Afrank said:
I'd rather see another rider (preferably a GC contender) able to break away and force other riders to chase him and ideally see them counter attack each other. In other words, a real battle in the mountains.
I'd rather see that than see Sky paceline up the entire climb (neutralizing any attacks) and then have a couple guys sprint in the last 200 meters.

And if it is the queen stage than I expect, or would prefer to see, the GC contender to be battling it out, with the climbers attacking and the TTers trying to chase them down. Rather than all of them sticking together while a solo late break rider takes the win and the peloton rides in together.

Like every stage in the 2012 Giro, because the pace wasn't high enough for any real selection on the first 90% of the climbs?

If these mythical climbers who are stronger than Sky exist, will they not be well suited to Sky's high tempo, breaking the field apart for them?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Like every stage in the 2012 Giro, because the pace wasn't high enough for any real selection on the first 90% of the climbs?

There will be better competition in 2013 than there was in 2012. So I think there will be more attacks, hopefully meaning Sky won't be able to neutralize the race so easily.

If these mythical climbers who are stronger than Sky exist, will they not be well suited to Sky's high tempo, breaking the field apart for them?

So are you saying the climbers won't feel the need to attack?
Sky's going to keep it at a pace Wiggins can handle. The climbers can't beat Wiggins in the TT, so they are going to have to attack him in the mountains. I don't think they will just relay on Sky to break the field apart for them, I think they will take it upon themselves to do that by attacking.

No but if there are better climbers than Sky they are more likely to gain an advantage if Sky have already hurt people on the earlier parts of the stage. If there's no one better than Sky (which is strong possibility) it's a trivial matter. If individual riders may be better than Wiggins but can't break the team they need their teammates to work hard to get into the break, Sky will not allow it so you have a stupidly small group on Gavia, try and try again... even if the end result is just a smaller peloton of tired riders it should benefit anyone who is better than Wiggins.

Yeh it will be pretty boring if Sky just ride weak tempo until the final climb and then turn it up. Hardly their fault if no one else tries though.

Afrank said:
There will be better competition in 2013 than there was in 2012. So I think there will be more attacks, hopefully meaning Sky won't be able to neutralize the race so easily.

So are you saying the climbers won't feel the need to attack?
Sky's going to keep it at a pace Wiggins can handle. The climbers can't beat Wiggins in the TT, so they are going to have to attack him in the mountains. I don't think they will just relay on Sky to break the field apart for them, I think they will take it upon themselves to do that by attacking.
It's impossible to build up a meaningful gap on a train like that. 5 out of 10 best climbers in the Giro will probably be Sky riders, good luck riding away from them. Wiggo can even let the Colombians sprint for bonus seconds at the finish.

theyoungest said:
It's impossible to build up a meaningful gap on a train like that. 5 out of 10 best climbers in the Giro will probably be Sky riders, good luck riding away from them. Wiggo can even let the Colombians sprint for bonus seconds at the finish.

Uran and Henao will be long gone by then. The Vuelta proved that they lack motivation if they can't ride for themselves.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
unlikely, riders build their season around races like il giro. Find it hard to believe a professional outfit like sky would harm so many riders programs merely for "inter-team competition" which isn't even ideal in a team atmosphere.

You still need a couple of reserves on standby and in good shape in case of injuries/illness in the days/weeks before the start of the race. WT teams with 28-30 riders can afford to do that for the most important races like the Giro and the Tour.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
stefrees said:
To be fair, henao and uran between them have leadership ahead for a few races, including e Ardennes classics

what's the point in them for that? they are best in gt's. they are colombians after all. but I have no worries, according to uran he and henao have free role in tirreno, catalunya/pais vasco and ardennes and fall classics and vuelta. in that case they should have more than enough points agin like last year to be a huge assett to any team to be leader. preferably coldeportes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS