• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

• Other/Garzelli

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
TANK91 said:
You go on like Henao has not had a fair crack at leading he co-lead a Giro last year in his first season with SKY, and this year he has lead a few race's and got good results. Wiggo is not going be around long, surely Sky is the best place for him. C Froome and S Henao will probably be the 2 main riders. The only way Henao should leave is if he wants to always be a Tour leader because he wont never be ahead of Froome, why don't riders just do Giro Vuelta every year?.:D
Tell that to a very talented rider who has been watching the Tour since a little kid and only dreams of one day performing well, winning or riding the Tour. No way Jose. It is not the same. We fans love the three of them but it is not the same thing in the eyes of a rider.

Cavendash

BANNED
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
martinvickers said:
Wiggins will never win the triple crown. Not a chance.

A lot of people said that about him winning the Tour, if he wins this Giro which he has a great chance of doing he'll just have the Vuelta to go, certainly very possible if they put in some TT miles for him.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Cavendash said:
A lot of people said that about him winning the Tour, if he wins this Giro which he has a great chance of doing he'll just have the Vuelta to go, certainly very possible if they put in some TT miles for him.

Cmon there is no way in hell he is winning the vuelta after riding the previous 2. He wont have a chance against all the prepared spanish riders that focus solely on the vuelta.

Cavendash

BANNED
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Good point, Hes only ridden it once hasn't he? all im saying is he will have a chance at it especially if there is some decent TT miles and maybe a couple less mountain stages, certainly better than no chance.

Cavendash said:

Ph6Ei.gif

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
yes and he was also dragging uran up the road in the final stages. henao didn't co lead any gt last year or any race for that matter except burgos

You did not watch same race as me then Henao came 9th, Uran 7th I think? If he did not co lead then he would not of been so high up and he would of went in breakaways yet he didn't.:rolleyes:

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Wasn't he doing leadouts for cav's leadout's leadout?

Im not sure Hitch but the stages I watched he certainly was going for gc with Uran, the last stage on the Stelvio he was helping Uran a bit, but surely if you have 2 riders that were similar and are high up in GC you are leading, which is pretty good in your first GT. Ryo probably wont admit that he co-lead because 9th does not sound two good but in your first GT that is a extremely good result imo.:D

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Tell that to a very talented rider who has been watching the Tour since a little kid and only dreams of one day performing well, winning or riding the Tour. No way Jose. It is not the same. We fans love the three of them but it is not the same thing in the eyes of a rider.

Well like I said if he badly wants the Tour he should leave then but he as got age on is side so why the rush, who knows if Froome wins the TDF he may do a Wiggo and try win the Giro and Vuelta in same year and Wiggo wont be great next year imo he will be at the weird GT age of 34 that is when you dip. Good luck beating Sky on a diff weaker team though if he leaves only guy i see really being how to beat Sky/Froome in near future is Quintana not Henao.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:
A strong looking Sky squad, but I'm disappointed that there's just 1 Brit. If Sky are about developing British road talent, then just 1 Brit in a GT is a failure of sorts, regardless of whether Wiggo wins. I'd have liked to have seen Pete Kennaugh in there, instead of Puccio.

I want to see Edmonsen in a GT this year he is v young so it should be the Vuelta. Edmonsen looks like a talent he done good in Algarve, Kennaugh and Edmonsen will do La Vuelta probably helping Henao or Uran.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Cmon there is no way in hell he is winning the vuelta after riding the previous 2. He wont have a chance against all the prepared spanish riders that focus solely on the vuelta.

I think if Wiggins does the Giro and Vuelta he has a very good chance actualy, it wont happen of course because someone else will lead imo. All the main Spaniards are doing the TDF so unless they ride it easy like Valverde last year how can they possibly have a better chance than someone who does not do the Tour.

JRanton said:
So for Sky's Giro squad I think we're looking at 9 from the following 11:

Wiggins, Uran, Henao, Cataldo, Siutsou, Lopez, Kennaugh, Zandio, Knees, Pate, Puccio

Sky seem to have tweaked Siutsou's race programme over the last month so I think it's now a possibility that he rides the Giro. Recent interviews as good as completely rule out Porte and Kiryienka so they're not included. Puccio is a wild card but he's been going quite well this season plus he's Italian.

Happy with my prediction. Siutsou and Lopez swapped programme's (race programme that is ;)) at the end of March so that's why the Spaniard misses out. Puccio instead of Kennaugh. Lopez has obviously been going so well that they want to hold him back for the Tour and he must be the extra climber that Brailsford was talking about in terms of taking Cav's place in the July team.

Ryo Hazuki said:
why puccio? he's not good for ttt or anything for that matter. still sky;s choice...

He was pretty strong along with Knees on the stage that Froome lost Tirreno. Ok, it was early work but they were having to control a large break up the road on very hard terrain for 100km+. He's pretty good on hills, ok on the flat. Kennaugh and Dombrowski were both weak on that stage and haven't made the Giro squad. I did say that P-N and Tirreno would be auditions for Sky's Giro and Tour squads but some people said I was talking nonsense. :rolleyes:

King Of The Wolds said:
A strong looking Sky squad, but I'm disappointed that there's just 1 Brit. If Sky are about developing British road talent, then just 1 Brit in a GT is a failure of sorts, regardless of whether Wiggo wins. I'd have liked to have seen Pete Kennaugh in there, instead of Puccio.

Reality is that Kennaugh hasn't been quite good enough so far this season. He's looking better at Romandie though. It could work out for the best if he gets more of a free role in some smaller stage races coming up in the next few months before going on to the Vuelta.

Wiggns will be at the Giro. Froome and Thomas are certain for the Tour. Maybe Stannard too. JTL and Kennaugh should do the Vuelta. That leaves neo-pro Edmondson, 2nd year pro Luke Rowe and Ben Swift who will be focussing only on one week stage races this season (if he ever gets fit!).

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
I didnt know that:eek::rolleyes:
Seriously,yeah,imo he will lose around 2'30 to Wiggins.Can he beat him by 2 and half in mountains?Yes,he can.Simple as that.

2:30 in 55k? if he doesn't lose close to 4 minutes it'll be a miracle. Based on last year's tour he could conceivably lose 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS