• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia, Stage:3 Sorrento - Marina Di Ascea 222 kms

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
will10 said:
I think a few guys on here are underestimating how high the pace was on that descent. Agnoli was clearly put up the road for Nibali to try to bridge to him later. As it was the opportunity never really presented itself on the technical half of the descent because Hesjedal was drilling it. If it had split there then perhaps Nibali would've contributed.

Nibali has to take every opportunity he can. But, not at the expense of expending too much energy for no gain. Remember Hesjedal has killed himself today for 8 bonus seconds.

Hesjedal went crazy and still finished third. Still his attack made the stage a better one but he expended a lot of energy.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
SafeBet said:
He crashed 50kms from the finish but he was back with the peloton before the last climb.

RAI is saying Nibbles had a mechanical while sprinting. Not that it would have changed anything for his placement anyway.

Yes,I agree Evans,Hesjedal,Sanchez etc. are better sprinters.

will10 said:
I think a few guys on here are underestimating how high the pace was on that descent. Agnoli was clearly put up the road for Nibali to try to bridge to him later. As it was the opportunity never really presented itself on the technical half of the descent because Hesjedal was drilling it. If it had split there then perhaps Nibali would've contributed.

Nibali has to take every opportunity he can. But, not at the expense of expending too much energy for no gain. Remember Hesjedal has killed himself today for 8 bonus seconds.

Paolini showed them how it's done. :cool:

And Hesjedal tried and tried, bu he never really looked like he was going to get away.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
and no , scarponi DID crash because of blanco taking the turn at too much speed. he had to break a lot and lost the wheel
i think it was obvious

So why did they not crash? He crashed because his descending skills weren't up to it.

HiCadence

BANNED
Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Guys i'm a little worried about Rujano did he come in with the main contenders?? I have a £3000 bet on Rujano to win overall so i'm a tad bit nervous.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Just came in (I did watch the stage, no worries :D )
A bit disappointed about Nibali's attitude, but surprised by all the others. Great stage, really unexpected :D
W IL GIRO

So do I,but like will10 said above, Hesjedal kill himself for 8 second.
Nibali probably didnt have legs to pull a Paolini today:(

will10 said:

Remember that the first week is traditionally Hesjedal's weakest. Be afraid.

Looks to me like he's trying to grab this race by the jugular and won't let go.

It seems like we can't expect much from these folks:

37. Duarte +1:52
40. Jeannesson +1:52
48. Stetina +1:52
56. Machado +1:52
65. Atapuma +1:52
66. Di Luca +1:52
124. Dupont +8:27
135. Kessiakoff +8:27
140. Herrada +8:27
151. Dekker +14:17
154. Capecchi +14:17
175. Cobo +14:17
197. Cataldo +19:31
207. Tiralongo +20:00

But perhaps this was more significant:
18. Henao +0:36
28. Pozzovivo +0:50

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Eshnar said:
nvm the seconds.
Hesjedal did make a statement today. That's what I wanted Nibali to do.

I think the significance of nibbles display is pretty much nothing. People hoping for something were clutching at straws IMO. Paolini got some leeway for a reason. L

I liked that hesjedal tried though.

Damn still recovering, needed my heart meds....

Blanco as expected :( Poor Scarponi, such a shame standing there waiting for a bike :(

Ryder is Not going to Lay Down and just let Borgs take his title :) Good Man Ryder; take it to them.

Chapeau Paolini, what a ride!!! Well earned Pink for him and Katusha!

Astana plan didn't work out due to Ryder's aggression! Nibs rides in with nada. Couple of Astanas went down, hope they recover. Aru in white; nice bonus for him :)

Evans Wow that was a surprise. He is very good on this type of stage but didn't think he had any form to speak of.

Sky in safe with no fireworks, but then what else can we expect from Wiggans; defense, defense. About as exciting as a wet noodle...

More excitement in one stage of the Giro than weeks of Sky at le Tour. Thanks guys, great race!!!

TRENDING THREADS