• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia, Stage 4: Policastro Bussentino - Serra San Bruno

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I like how colombians screwed him ,and probably more to come like I predicted before Giro.
I dont want Wiggins to have bad luck or something,but I wanna see him winning Giro by himself! not the team.Thats why I hope for big fireworks on friday and RAIN:p:D

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
It makes sense for me, W is at the back of the peloton,
there is an accident before him to cause the gap. But W was not affected by the accident whatsoever, but due to the gap he was not given the same time as the group before him. It is the risk you take when riding at the back of the peloton, gap can always happen before you.

And where is the proof for the part in bold?

May 8, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:
You gotta love the 'black or white' posters. They must love video games, where everything repeats over and over.

After today, I can say Sir Bradley Wiggins is in big trouble. I even venture to say he'll be a DNF.

JRanton said:
Communication was always going to be an issue with the two Colombians being Wiggins' last men...

But if he's getting dropped on a stage like that, then it was probably right to stay where they were.

Strange-since Henao & Uran did work very well under Fromme's leadership;)....
wait a minute!!! are you suggesting they've chosen sides within the team??:eek::D

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Magnus said:
And where is the proof for the part in bold?

That is the job of race judge and they use transponders to determine the event.

“Wiggins was already behind at three kilometers [to go],” said Brocque. “After the last 3km, we had all the time checks thanks to the transponders. We saw who crashed. We had the time at the 3K and finish, and we gave back the time to those that were left behind.”

argyllflyer said:
Great tweet from Philip Gomes just there:

yawn.gif

the sceptic said:
I think its more due to the fact that noone wants to see Wiggo take a 3 min lead followed by sky TTing through every stage. Its just boring that way.

neither do I, but many of the posts here are like: if Wiggo looses time, it's because he's dumb, and he deserves it because Sky and him are @ssholes and so on etc etc
(ok, I am exagerating a bit ;) )

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
That is the job of race judge and they use transponders to determine the event.

“Wiggins was already behind at three kilometers [to go],” said Brocque. “After the last 3km, we had all the time checks thanks to the transponders. We saw who crashed. We had the time at the 3K and finish, and we gave back the time to those that were left behind.”

But it doesn't matter where Wiggins was at 3 km from the finish because that was not where the accident that (may have) caused the splits happened.

The fact is personaly i dont hate Wiggins or Froome or anyone else from Sky, but the fact that someone rellies on his TT skills to get in front of GC and then just follow is team all the way up the mountains just make the races soooo boring that makes people with no willing to watch.

I hope that Evans is in good shape so we can ad him to Nibali, Hesjedal and Wiggins to battle it out.

JRanton said:
He said similar before the 2010 Tour (that he was in his best shape ever). It was nonsense of course.

That was before he won the tour and everything else. There is a section of the British media which has suddenly realized that the giro is a race including his sponsors who are even showing the whole race in highlights.

also Wiggins maybe did think he was in good form before the 2010 tour. He had only had 1 experinece with it. Now he should know.

I think I remember reading him say months after the Tour that he knew he wasn't at his 2009 level, but tried to reassure himself and everyone else by talking the talk. Might be mistaken though. It was in that interview where he said he needed to go back to just riding and not being so calculating because that's what worked for him in 2009. :D

pastronef said:
Daniel Friebe http://www.twitter.com/friebos

This may be old news now, but @cyclingpro says race jury used Wiggins' transponder to determine that crash didn't affect him.

about the 17 secs:

the Wiggo hate here is reaching the zenith. I prefer Hesjedal, but I'd like to see Wiggo gain minutes on the TT, just to shut everybody up for a while.

but hey, you know what could be worse?
both GESINK and Wiggo losing those 17 secs

this thread would become unreadable

Richeypen said:
A threeway battle between Ryder, Wiggins and Nibali has the potential to be epic and produce some brilliant racing. What I want to see is riders on top of their game racing for the title. Its sad that certain people on here seem to want Wiggins out of the reckoning all together due to petty hate.

I personally cant stand Contador but I hope he shows up in great shape for the Tour

I don't get what you guys are moaning about. Saying that you think someone losing time is a sign of weakness does not mean you hate them.

People who like and don't like Wiggins cam be found accross both sides of this debate.

So it's not a question of hate. But any hate Wiggins does get he fully deserves with his despicable comments in defense of his hero la vs Landis and his treatment of Garmin and all his other total jerk behaviour.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I don't get what you guys are moaning about. Saying that you think someone losing time is a sign of weakness does not mean you hate them.

People who like and don't like Wiggins cam be found accross both sides of this debate.

So it's not a question of hate. But any hate Wiggins does get he fully deserves with his despicable comments in defense of his hero la vs Landis and his treatment of Garmin and all his other total jerk behaviour.

right on the money:D

Magnus said:
Brocques' statement makes no sense at all imo.
Didn't Salernos' crash (did he even crash?) when the leaders was at 1.6 km from the finish?
So what does the times at 3km from the finish have to do with anything?

On the other hand the gaps at the finish (at least the one between Locatelli, who finished s.t. as Battaglin and Weening who finished at 10") looked like they could very well just have been from riders taking it easy in a curve or turn and not necessarily related to Salerno, in which case there would be no ground for using the 3km rule (which just make Brocques' comment seem even more stupid).

There didn't seem to be any cause for concern for the riders with the gaps, like they were taking it for granted they weren't big enough to warrant a time gap. There have been many times at the finale of a race where it appeared to me that riders were gapped and should get a separate time only to find out in the standings that they were all given the s.t. This situation didnt seem extraordinary to me, I'd say Wiggy was the victim of a little "home field advantage." But that would never happen at the Giro...

Fatclimber said:
There didn't seem to be any cause for concern for the riders with the gaps, like they were taking it for granted they weren't big enough to warrant a time gap. There have been many times at the finale of a race where it appeared to me that riders were gapped and should get a separate time only to find out in the standings that they were all given the s.t. This situation didnt seem extraordinary to me, I'd say Wiggy was the victim of a little "home field advantage." But that would never happen at the Giro...

Don't be silly. Watch the video of the stage. Those were gaps large enough that any race official would have picked up on them. If there's any controversy then it's in relation to whether or not there was a split already in the peloton at the time of Salerno's crash. I have to admit that watching it back it seems clear in the video that Wiggins was actually still in contact with the front group (no split is visible) at 3km to go and at 2.5km to go (albeit he was right towards the back with Machado which was either incredibly stupid or he was suffering). So the race officials have presumably judged that a split occurred at some point in the next 700m, between 2.5km to go and before Salerno's crash at 1.8km to go. Of course the problem is there doesn't seem to be any TV pictures available showing the peloton in that period.

And then you have this from the judge:

This needs to be clarified because you can clearly see on the video that Wiggins was still in contact as they go under the 3km to go banner and unless I'm blind there was no split in the peloton at that point. What do others think?

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
Wiggo's arrogance bites him in the @ss.

haha. Well, that would make sense if he had an @ss. :D But if he is an @ss, it would be more like cannibalism. :D Hypothetically speaking that is, of course, this is by no means an accusation. Hypothetically speaking, therefore he would be the anti-Merckx in addition to the anti-Vino and Ricco's Death on a Bicycle.

Damn, tough crowd. Win the Tour and you can't even get your own thread outside the clinic.

JRanton said:
Definitely. And on stage 7 we will find out for sure what his condition is like. To be honest even in his best shape you could see Wiggins losing quite a bit of time on that stage, but in bad shape he will lose any chance of winning the Giro for sure..

Could be a massive anti-climax though. Like the equivalent stage last year. Even in the T-A stage this year they got a bit lucky, no pace until the final 2 hills. Hopefully the weather is terrible!

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
hey what happen with wiggins. I didn't see the stage 4 today. How did he loose 17 seconds? the jury said he's already being gap so they won't awarded back the lost of 17 seconds? anyway see what happen?

maxmartin said:
It makes sense for me, W is at the back of the peloton, there is an accident before him to cause the gap. But W was not affected by the accident whatsoever, but due to the gap he was not given the same time as the group before him. It is the risk you take when riding at the back of the peloton, gap can always happen before you.

Finally someone that speaks with some sense!

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Jelantik said:
hey what happen with wiggins. I didn't see the stage 4 today. How did he loose 17 seconds? the jury said he's already being gap so they won't awarded back the lost of 17 seconds? anyway see what happen?

Nope. It doesn't appear to be covered by the TV pictures. According to the race jury, the group he was in had lost contact with the lead group before the 3km to go banner. Whether this was down to him just being dozy, not having the legs or a tactical miscalculation is unknown at this point. If you look back through the thread you will find a lot of contradictory opinions.

TRENDING THREADS