• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro d'Italia Stage 7: San Salvo - Pescara 177km

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
DiscoPants said:
I'm not gonna write him off, you'd be silly to do that with 2 weeks still remaining, but surely he's gonna have to reassess his tactics for the rest of the Giro now.

Even if he takes back that 1.30, or maybe even puts a few more seconds into Nibali, it's gonna be a hell of a lot less time than I bet he was expecting to have in hand at this point.

Can he now hold off Nibali through the mountains with such a reduced buffer?

Agreed

But if Wiggins can pull 1:30 back on Nibali, Evans, Hesjedal, what a BIKE RACE it will then be!!

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Good showing from the main white jersey contenders today:

1 MAJKA Rafal POL TST 28:31:12 0:00
2 BETANCUR GOMEZ Carlos A. COL ALM 28:31:19 0:07
3 KELDERMAN Wilco NED BLA 28:31:59 0:47
4 ARU Fabio ITA AST 28:32:17 1:05
5 BATTAGLIN Enrico ITA BAR 28:32:33 1:21
6 ROSA Diego ITA AND 28:33:53 2:41
7 ATAPUMA HURTADO Darwin COL COL 28:34:01 2:49
8 BONGIORNO Francesco Manuel ITA BAR 28:40:05 8:53
9 LOCATELLI Stefano ITA BAR 28:40:11 8:59
10 PANTANO Jarlinson COL COL 28:41:28 10:16

Majka suddenly improved going downhill. What about the TT? How much time will he drop against Kelderman?

Yes, he's looked very comfortable going downhill and strong going up... TT might be a temporary hicup, he lost 5 mins to Kessiakoff in the Veulta TT but I have no idea if he rode that in anger or energy saving mode. Should be a nice battle with Betancur for white to watch though. I imagine he will pip Kelderman in the mountains?

Yeah, that's a bit hard to explain...unless he was hurt (apparently not) or it brought back nightmare memories of his fall in the 2011 TDF when he lost everything...in any case it didn't look very professional!

Poursuivant said:
Was wiggins dropped on the climb or the descent?

I watched the live coverage again and it seems he went behind in the descent before the last climb.

Le Baroudeur said:
Yes, he's looked very comfortable going downhill and strong going up... TT might be a temporary hicup, he lost 5 mins to Kessiakoff in the Veulta TT but I have no idea if he rode that in anger or energy saving mode. Should be a nice battle with Betancur for white to watch though. I imagine he will pip Kelderman in the mountains?
Maybe, but Kelderman was stronger uphill today. He was among the 5 or 6 best climbers.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
So one of the best Pro-Tour teams don't have a plan B if plan A fails. Got it. It will make sponsors very happy to have a team so well prepared.

They've got froome in the tour. A completely different scenario, even judging in the build up, where he's been imperious. I suspect the sponsors ain't worried.
As for Bradshe, looks like 2010 all over again - all the talk, none of the work done - and his heart ain't in it. Doubt Arsmtrong defending him today will help either :D

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
The difference was Nibs crashed taking the race. Wiggins crashed trying not to fall off when behind.

Agreed, it was great to see Nibali riding so aggressively. Even before the fall Wiggins was riding like he was terrified.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
SafeBet said:
Nibali is not the only opponent he'll have to face.

There are plenty of contenders at this point. Ryder looks great, Cuddles too. And what about Blanco?

If anything, I think Ryder looks best - just really, really alert or something...

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
There so many great cycling strategists, but I wonder one question, why are they on the forum, instead of sitting in Sky car? :confused::)

The experts who post here know their value, I don't think Sky could afford them.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
The difference was Nibs crashed taking the race. Wiggins crashed trying not to fall off when behind.

Well yea Nibali and Wiggo have a totally different mentality and it shows. That's why Nibali came back and Wiggo did not.

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Maybe, but Kelderman was stronger uphill today. He was among the 5 or 6 best climbers.

I would expect him to be, Majka has had little preparation this year due to the knee injury recurrence and is still very much in form building mode for week 3.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Le Baroudeur said:
I would expect him to be, Majka has had little preparation this year due to the knee injury recurrence and is still very much in form building mode for week 3.

Majka was very strong in the TTT. He pulled the team apart according to Saxo, so should bode well for a good TT.

TRENDING THREADS