• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro d'Italia Stage 9: Sansepolcro - Firenze 170 km

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Great ride by Belkov,deserved win,and awesome Katusha at Giro.
Hesjedal very bad.Poor Betancur,but he attacked and gained seconds,good.;)Astana guys were empty cos of early pushing I believe.Lo Squalo in control :D

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
HAHA Betancur. Fail.

Nice ride Belkov, Hesjedal loses over a minute!

jamesmasters said:
Well, I think you can take two things from this.

- If the weather doesn't improve then Wiggins is completely done. There's no way he can win with such hopeless descending.

- If it does improve then the others might regret not kicking him when he was down, if (big if) he is not bluffing about how he is even stronger than last year. It looks like slippery descents are by far the easiest way of putting time into him (probably for his "buddy" the Dawg too, btw).

+1
he said his number is better than last year TDF. they might regret that they missed the chance to put a nail in the coffin today on wiggins. He is clearly in difficulty. When they realize wiggins train start demolishing everyone in the mountain, it's probably too late.

Pricey_sky said:
But if it doesn't then the others may regret this stage. Wiggo will be delighted he didn't lose more time today. This will give him confidence going into a rest day knowing from Tuesday we start going much more uphill.

On the other hand, however, there are some mighty long mountain descents in there, from which there may be very few teammates left for him to do the job they did today. I wouldn't want to have to work back a minute from the Stelvio descent before the start of Martell, that's for sure.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Just a word about Kangert - What an absolute beast. Astana needs to hurry up and resign him before Sky gets him and turns him into a unstoppable GT winner

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
But if it doesn't then the others may regret this stage. Wiggo will be delighted he didn't lose more time today. This will give him confidence going into a rest day knowing from Tuesday we start going much more uphill.

the higher the uphill, the longer and the more trencherous the descent.:D:D And wait... add rain to that...

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Jelantik said:
+1
he said his number is better than last year TDF. they might regret that they missed the chance to put a nail in the coffin today on wiggins. He is clearly in difficulty. When they realize wiggins train start demolishing everyone in the mountain, it's probably too late.

Nibali and maybe even Evans will be able to put put a few minutes into Wiggo on certain giro descents even if it's dry and they will be more willing to do so because it'll be less risky for them

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
jamesmasters said:
Well, I think you can take two things from this.

- If the weather doesn't improve then Wiggins is completely done. There's no way he can win with such hopeless descending.

I remember Catalunya. Wiggins can descend perfectly well in the dry. Quite good descender in the dry even. But in the wet, it's now a mental block. He can't break through it, so yes - more rain, he's cooked.

- If it does improve then the others might regret not kicking him when he was down, if (big if) he is not bluffing about how he is even stronger than last year. It looks like slippery descents are by far the easiest way of putting time into him (probably for his "buddy" the Dawg too, btw).

I'm half tempted to think his 'numbers' are good, but nothing like he's claiming. But let's be clear. Sky have three good riders in top 10, all in theoretical striking distance, and Astana are no Sky. If it were to dry up, that's a lot of MountainBorg for Nibs to handle. And Cadel is more or less back, byt he looks of it.

Cracking Giro, actually, isn't it.

Libertine Seguros said:
On the other hand, however, there are some mighty long mountain descents in there, from which there may be very few teammates left for him to do the job they did today. I wouldn't want to have to work back a minute from the Stelvio descent before the start of Martell, that's for sure.

Very true, however if its dry he wont lose any time to his rivals on descents. I guess it all comes down to the weather if Wiggo could win this Giro.

Libertine Seguros said:

If they didnt want to take advantage today why would they take advantage in the mountains?

One can talk all one wants about theoretical descents in the future but at the end of the day this is was good a chance as any and wiggins is still 4th 1 second behind 3rd with some very tough stages to come.