• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro d'Italia, Stage19: Ponte Di Legno - Val Martello/Martelltal 160 kms

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
DJ Sprtsch said:
Any rumours on how they will go about tomorrow?
Weather could be even worse. Major bummer.

This is a picture from tomorrow's MTF:

BLBKWasCAAA85Iv.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/Sander_Slager/status/337851721025978368/photo/1

So sad. But really there was nothing else to do.
It's 6 degrees in Milano, 6 f*cking degrees in the end of may, I can't remember anything like this in my whole life.
Snowing at 600 metres.

Lol @ the guy saying if Nibbles was behind in GC they would have raced. Get real.

May 9, 2011
Visit site
stetre76 said:
why don't you just stop trolling around - my guess, you've never seen snow in your life or ridden a bike downhill when it's snowing, right?

Actually I have, and if you don't believe me then that's okay because professional and amateur cyclists have been photographed and filmed doing exactly that for the last 100 years. They'd be a bit annoyed to have gone through all that struggle only for someone to think that what they've done is so impossible it must be a troll. They'll all tell you the same— no one's ever forcing anyone to go down at a speed that's dangerous. You don't get points or prizes for that. This is an organic race around a country using a bicycle, and the winner is the person that is able to overcome the conditions in the quickest time, which is a different thing to the highest speed. If such an escapade is only possible at 10km/h, or by getting off and walking for a bit, then that's how it is and how it always was. All the stories people talk about the past are of exactly that. If you want a sport with no more interesting stories of man and machine overcoming the elements, then good for you, but I'm telling you that once it's established that they will no longer cycle when it's snowing then next they'll start neutralising descents when it's heavy rain, and then curtailing or rerouting stages when it's raining badly, and then cancelling them altogether.

The whole point of professional bike racing used to be to show the bicycle to be this apparently unstoppable force, able to get the rider through whatever was thrown at it, where-ever that may be, immune to all the forces brought before it. That's how it's been for 100 years, and if it's quietly been decided that that's no longer the case, I wish they'd tell us properly so it's out in the open because it signifies a fundamental change in mindset and image for the sport. And if this is a new 'era', then I'm happy to stick with my 100+ year old one actually, but depressed about the future ...

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Ryongsyong said:
Actually I have, and if you don't believe me then that's okay because professional and amateur cyclists have been photographed and filmed doing exactly that for the last 100 years. They'd be a bit annoyed to have gone through all that struggle only for someone to think that what they've done is so impossible it must be a troll. They'll all tell you the same— no one's ever forcing anyone to go down at a speed that's dangerous. You don't get points or prizes for that. This is an organic race around a country using a bicycle, and the winner is the person that is able to overcome the conditions in the quickest time, which is a different thing to the highest speed. If such an escapade is only possible at 10km/h, or by getting off and walking for a bit, then that's how it is and how it always was. All the stories people talk about the past are of exactly that. If you want a sport with no more interesting stories of man and machine overcoming the elements, then good for you, but I'm telling you that once it's established that they will no longer cycle when it's snowing then next they'll start neutralising descents when it's heavy rain, and then curtailing or rerouting stages when it's raining badly, and then cancelling them altogether.

The whole point of professional bike racing used to be to show the bicycle to be this apparently unstoppable force, able to get the rider through whatever was thrown at it, where-ever that may be, immune to all the forces brought before it. That's how it's been for 100 years, and if it's quietly been decided that that's no longer the case, I wish they'd tell us properly so it's out in the open because it signifies a fundamental change in mindset and image for the sport. And if this is a new 'era', then I'm happy to stick with my 100+ year old one actually, but depressed about the future ...

You talk Sh*t, it's - 15 plus on the Stelvio so when they descend it will be catastrophic. The thing that amazes me is you say they should go slow, are you for real? they cant even ride a steep descend in this weather you fool. This weather is the most extreme for years.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Ryongsyong said:

They no longer consume redwine, amphetamines and anabolics during the race and are no longer in the Hulk modus.

Ryongsyong said:

The concept is dead, just like the printed newspaper industry.

TANK91 said:
You talk Sh*t, it's - 15 plus on the Stelvio so when they descend it will be catastrophic. The thing that amazes me is you say they should go slow, are you for real? they cant even ride a steep descend in this weather you fool. This weather is the most extreme for years.

Biathlon races is usually questionable when temperature drops below minus 20 degrees. And biathletes go slower, have winter clothes and races for a shorter period of time. Competitive cycling in -15 would result in frost bites for the whole peleton and possibly amputated fingers.

Sleimas said:
Biathlon races is usually questionable when temperature drops below minus 20 degrees. And biathletes go slower, have winter clothes and races for a shorter period of time. Competitive cycling in -15 would result in frost bites for the whole peleton and possibly amputated fingers.

And biathletes don't go as fast, which means less windchill.